PDA

View Full Version : Why do you pprune?

answer=42
22nd Jul 2003, 19:28
As dedicated SLFs, why are we here on Pprune?

My reasons are:

Sometimes I fly some quality-challenged airlines and I want to have a source of info as to how safe they are.

I admire flight-deck and ATC staff - jobs I could never do.

I want to see how well I can communicate with people who have a very different worldview from myself.

answer=42

MerchantVenturer
22nd Jul 2003, 20:04
I have had an interest in civil aviation for many years - not in collecting aircraft numbers or technical minutiae although the sight of an aircraft taking off or landing still gives me pleasure, but in the general operations of airlines and airports. I am mainly interested in the UK and even more particularly in south west England and south Wales.

I have never worked in the aviation or travel industries, so have no first hand experience, apart from being a fairly regular passenger.

I regard PPRuNe as an incredibly valuable encyclopaedia on all things to do with aviation. Apart from the huge number of contributors who actually work at the sharp end of aviation, there are other people who have a wide background knowledge, sometimes of a general nature, sometimes of specific areas of the industry.

I have found that many of PPRuNe's regular posters are very generous in taking time to explain matters or impart information to a comparative ignoramous in air matters such as me. I am extremely grateful to them, and I am sure I must try their patience on occasions.

PPRuNe is the most UK-orientated air forum that I have found as well.

PAXboy
23rd Jul 2003, 06:10
Good question!

I would concur with much that MV says. I have never worked in the biz, and do not expect to, but my family has been involved in flying since the First World War and my nephew is a Captain in another country.

I have been traveling long haul since 1965 (VC-10 :ok: ) and enjoy every minute of flying. I, also, do not collect numbers and so forth but any a/c entering my field of view will capture my attention! I do like to know a bit more about the a/c that I am travelling on as I have always been fascinated things mechanical.

PPRuNe is useful for sharing practical information about routes and carriers and getting an idea of which carriers not to use! The sense of humour is great - across all the forums.

Evening Star
23rd Jul 2003, 16:35
From the answers already given, guess this thread will end up being a long list of people saying me too. Bad net etiquette I know, but for this question it will have to do :8.

Maybe there is also a bit of the frustrated flyer. It was my dream when younger and before it was found that I am mildly shortsighted. Know better now, but that was the kiss of death then to wanting to be a pilot :{. No matter how philosophical one takes that, it still means I am very interested in everything that goes on. PPRuNE is part of that wanting to know more. Guess I get more out of it than I can really contribute (totally outside the aviation culture, but at least I can see it).

As for Jet Blast... :E

GwynM
23rd Jul 2003, 17:37
I first got into reading Pprune following the mid air collision last year, and wanting to understand more about why it happened, from an experienced and knowlegable group of people.

The site gives a different view of the world, and it is interesting to compare attitudes to safety between two incredible safety concious industries (I work in the upstream oil and gas industry).

Finally, I find some of the discussions extremely entertaining, and a few enlightening:) , and nowhere else do I get some of the "old school" views (hang'em or fire'em) expressed so eloquently. It reminds me that there are still some places where right wing dinosaurs exist (but as long as they fly me around safely, then I'm happy for them to hold their outdated antediluvian attitudes):D

DeepC
23rd Jul 2003, 20:11
secondly, An interest in all things flying.

Firstly, the quality of debate and humour on the boards is brilliant. I think it is because to be flying crew, Engineers, military you need to be fairly clued up and intelligent. The fact that there is slighty less intelligent people who contribute makes for an interesting debate. It is by people asking the stupid/obvious questions that the rest of us find out the answers!

DeepC

Self Loathing Freight
25th Jul 2003, 02:45
I'm here only for JetBlast.:ok:

PAXboy
25th Jul 2003, 03:38
Dear Self Loathing,

That is one of the finest handles I have seen on PPRuNe, had me near falling off my chair. :D

Welcome aboard, someone will be along with drinks and refreshments very shortly. If no one has noticed your arrival, the best idea is to snap your fingers at them and ask them to stop that silly talk about 'landing on water' and just to get you a G&T. They particularly appreciate this upfront sense of humour and you will receive extra special service for the rest of the flight. :}

flapsforty
25th Jul 2003, 03:54
Self Loathing; you saving us the trouble? ;)

PAXboy, on thin ice lad............
Very thin!
:p

PAXboy
25th Jul 2003, 19:07
OK, Flaps, you can whip me with your Dragon's tail ... :E

Bob Brown
25th Jul 2003, 21:44
I have a BTEC in Aerospace studies, spent 6 years as an Aircraft Avionics engineer and still cant believe that something weighing in at 100 tonnes can fly!

Self Loathing Freight
26th Jul 2003, 05:50
Excellent tip PAXboy. I shall try that on my next flight:oh: .. I just hope the crew are PPruners!:ok:

SLF

Final 3 Greens
27th Jul 2003, 01:21
SLF forum because I take between 50-100 flights per annum.

Private forum as I have a PPL/NR.

Rumours & News because I have consulted to a couple of major airlines and like to keep in touch with what' happening, as well as winding up the occasional person.

Questions, because I've had some really helpful and useful advice from pilots with more knowledge and experience.

And finally, all fora as the boy that still lives in this middle age person has never forgotten the thrill of watching Viscounts, Vulcans and all the other aircraft at the Leeds/Bradford air displays in the 1960s and got totally hooked on all things aviation ;)

Parry Hotter
28th Jul 2003, 13:24
Good question!

I prune because I am Cabin Crew, and as you are all aware, those of us in the industry have an extreme passion for it.

I really enjoy reading all the latest gossip, and also learning how my collegues and others with the same interest react to different things.

The pax and SLF section is always good too. I like to know what our passengers are curious about. It helps make my job easier.