PDA

View Full Version : all op-websites claim 2 employ old salt exclusively. where are the low-time guys ?

slamtofakie
22nd Jul 2003, 06:30
hello forum,

thatīs my question, up there in the subject bar.......

no matter which operators website you give a try,
everybody asserts to hire and employ well trained and above all
experienced pilots with what-know-I thousands of hours.

but somewhere has to be the low time guys who dared
the giant leap.

they have to be somewhere.

first we lie (and scream), then we learn to crawl, to walk, and finally to run. but on the internet it seems i find worldclass runners only. but sumthing has to be wrong with this statement.
of course the ops canīt name them and especially canīt name
their hours.but on the other hand thereīs also crash reports about young nuts, unfolding an unbalance between fact and fiction.

or do they take the young nuts only as freelancers for, lets call it
1500 hours ? ( to avoid customer downturn due to doubts )

could anybody comment on this issue ?

thank you

M

Aussierotor
22nd Jul 2003, 09:52
Unfortunately some of the bigger companies only employ experienced pilots.
Son worked for a tour company that said he could fly their Jetrangers(when no passengers onboard) to get an endorsement.Found out in end their insurance covered minimum 1500 hours with 750 turbine ,so he got bull sh!tted to.
So insurance is one reason.
Then i supposed if you owned a company you would want experienced pilots as well,hence most pilots have to get the hours up on smaller machines in smaller places.Still damn hard.
Similar to getting a car licence i suppose.When new, insurance is a killer and trying to rent one is impossible.You could be the best in the world ,but the belief is your and in-experienced cowboy waiting for an accident which is true in a lot of cases.
Getting back to advertising "all experienced pilots with over X hours" probably does relieve future passengers ,but no body would really know unless an accident did happen and it the media got hold of it and said the pilot had only minimal hours,therefore giving a company a bad image.

Hours ,hours,hours --its as simple as that. haha
No wonder so many give up.

My son tried for 5 years.Did the plane/chopper method,plus has flown another 10 hours since.
Decided to go on a world trip as most young kids do ,only away a month ,then gets offered a job,and has to come home.
The timing was wrong but a golden opportunity to get started was more important.Heads into Aussie wednesday ,gets his licence upto date ,gets an R44 endorsement ,and next month starts.

In a few years he will be able to fly for one of those "all experenced high hour pilots" places ,if he so chooses ,or better still if they would hire him.

leee
22nd Jul 2003, 11:45
hi,
Just out of interest, what is the magic number/requirements in the UK?? i know in the US it 1000 hours of anything (piston or turbine) and in Canada its 1500 of again anything.
And what time of year does most of the hireing go on???

Cheers Lee

Autorotate
22nd Jul 2003, 11:58
Aussierotor - where abouts is your son headed to, Slingsby, Heli Muster NT ??

:E

Gabra1
22nd Jul 2003, 22:04
Any low timers (minimum 500 hours on helicopters) interested in building hours as co pilots in the Far East please PM me for more info.

slamtofakie
27th Jul 2003, 03:46
hello

@ aussierotor: thank you for the post.
interesting! so the insurance seems to be the main reason.
now iīm a bit wiser.

@ all newbies: please do not use this thread to ask for conditions/hours etc. , there are LOADS of other threads already that excellently serve your needs. please just stick to the question.

where are the low-time-guys ?

any urls, online news reports etc. are welcome

M

Steve76
27th Jul 2003, 05:44
...could be NAH Autorotate :rolleyes:

Rotor1
28th Jul 2003, 07:23
.....could be Ayres Rock Helicopters at Kings creek station or Glen Helen Resort. :}

slamtofakie
28th Jul 2003, 10:13
at last one distinctive answer :-)

itīs fun that they let em fly tourists.

M