PDA

View Full Version : Sharp GX10i mobile phones

iamnotanausi
22nd Jul 2003, 00:27
I know this is a computer forum but this topic is related.

Bought my daughter a sharp GX10i phone on which she has taken 80 piccies. We were told by the local Vodafone shop that she could either e-mail them to herself at 36p each or use a £40 data cable to get the picccies onto her PC. Fine, no probs buying the cable of course but no one so far has been able to download her piccies. Strange we thought...................

Have today spoken to another Vodafone shop who tell me that Vodafone have cottoned onto the fact that if people use the cable to d/l piccies they are losing out on 36p for every piccie not emailed so have blocked this facility. Likewise, as the phone has infraset you could have d/l to a PC with an infrared port but Vodafone have blocked that also.

Does anyone out there know of another way or how to use this cable as 80 piccies at 36p each is a lot for her to pay to get them off her phone and onto her PC.I think the fact that Vodafone have been able to move the goalposts like this is outrageous.

ORAC
22nd Jul 2003, 02:24
Take the cable back and get your £40 back.

Fone Data Suite (http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/1601.htm) £24.95

fobotcso
22nd Jul 2003, 05:02
Steady on! I had the same problem with the Panasonic GD87 pictures and there is a way. It's probably the same with the Sharp. [edit These are the same items using the MAT (Mobile Action Technology ) cables. It'll be cheaper from ORAC's site but there'll be P&P. On that Site, they make the same claim for the Fone Data Suite for the Panasonic GD87 and it was simply not true that pictures could be downloaded without the procedure I describe below. But this is how it can be done]

The answer with the Panasonic was within the 'phone. There is a directory structure of sorts and downloads using the cable and software are only allowed from the "Received Files" folder.

So the way I found around the "blockage" was to copy all the image files in the 'phone from the "Pictures" folder to the "Received" folder.

Then back to the Connection Manager on the PC and "Download All".

I think you may be being "spoofed" by the Vodafone people. They wouldn't tell me the solution. But then they probably didn't know themsleves.

Always open-minded, I'll check out the updated software for the Panasonic. It might just have improved.

fobotcso
22nd Jul 2003, 19:11
No Luck! The updated MAT software for the Panasonic GD87 will still not "see" the Pictures folder of the 'phone. I still have to move the image files to the Received folder and then download. them.

iamnotanausi
24th Jul 2003, 15:53
Thanks to you both, I'll give the website a go. Incidentally, she has e-mailed 5 of her photos to the PC and not been charged....yet!! Don't know what's the matter with Vodafone, we'd change companies but it has the best signal for our area, the other companies don't get anywhere near it.