PDA

View Full Version : Convair NB-36H

Another St Ivian
21st Jul 2003, 22:48
I have read the occasional article in the past on this nuclear powered aircraft, however all the articles seemed a bit thin on the ground content wise. Does anyone know of any good books, websites or other assorted sources where I could read a bit more deeply into this particular aircraft?
What interests me most is how the propulsion system actually worked, how it was controlled, how effective it was, etc?

Can anyone help?

ASI

treadigraph
22nd Jul 2003, 00:34
IIRC Aeroplane Monthly published an in-depth article on the B-36 a few months back, which included coverage of the NB-36H. I don't think the engines were actually powered by the reactor, rather it was powered up in flight to assess the practicalities... but I may well be wrong!

The crew stations were rather well shielded as I recall... :)

Strewth, an accident would have been more than slightly embarrasing!

Jhieminga
22nd Jul 2003, 01:32
The NB-36H was never powered by the reactor it carried. The aircraft used the normal (as far as that will apply to a B-36) powerplants as installed, while the nuclear reactor was powerer up in flight to assess handling, measure the effects etc.

GE once designed a nuclear powered jet engine, which was a huge double engine (two compressors, turbines) with one reactor instead of the combustion process in a normal jet engine cycle. They built the prototype up to a point but never finished or ran the beast.