PDA

View Full Version : USB SmartMedia Readers

boeingbus2002
21st Jul 2003, 22:19
I recently acquired a SmartMedia card reader. (Jenoptik)
I installed the software and rebooted, however once windows (98) was up and running it detected the new USB connection and tried to find the driver. However it froze and i got that dreaded blue screen! I have tried to uninstall, reinstall..still nothing. Theres no helpline numbers either. Anyone got any experience of this?
Cheers
:8

SLF 999
21st Jul 2003, 22:41
When 98 is looking for the drivers it may be possible to get 98 to pick up the drivers from the CD that was supplied with the reader, dont know if you have tried this but worth mentioning.

ORAC
21st Jul 2003, 22:58
1. Try the latest driver (http://www.jenimage.com/index.php?id=98&type=0).

2. Have you downloaded all the latest Win98 updates? (http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/)

fobotcso
21st Jul 2003, 23:22
Bulky job with blue top and transparent bottom? Flaky bit of kit. Getting on a bit.

From my notes at the time, installation on Win 98 was in two stages.

1. USB to SSFDC Class driver in File DFMPD01.INF. 1KB dated 2 Feb 00.

2. (USB to IDE/ATAPI using OEI-link) USB to IDE Media Reader Miniport Driver also in DFMPD01INF (Other Devices).

I don't normally make such detailed (and incomprehensible :) ) notes so you will gather that at the time I bought this bit of kit I had problems too.

These (http://www.jenimage.com/fileadmin/MDB/Software/Treiber/Kartenleser/jenreader-w98.zip) files are the same as on my installation disk. I'll happily e-mail them to you need if you wish. Win 98 won't do P 'n P. Put the files in a folder somewhere and do "Add New Hardware" before you plug in the reader.

Send me an e-mail address if I can help.

PS, you are on Win 98 Second Edition, I hope!

boeingbus2002
22nd Jul 2003, 06:23
Thanks fobotcso,
Yes its the Light blue one with clear bottom. Only a tenner mind you which is what tempted me! Wish i didnt bother!
OK what are these two files and what am i supposed to do with them?
Did you have the same problems with yr installation?
Ill send you my email to yr PM

fobotcso
22nd Jul 2003, 21:22
Two e-mails with attachments on their way. First has the installation manual and the second the Win 98 driver files. I've just installed the Reader on my Win 98 test machine and although it crashed half way through, on the re-boot it carried on as though nothing had happened and the result was perfect.

Put the driver directory somewhere you can find it and "Choose the Device Driver". Don't leave it to Windows. Don't be scared of experimenting. Way to learn. Enjoy.

PS; Send other e-mail address, please. Yahoo refuses to recognise the one you gave me. All I did was cut and paste.

Feline
25th Jul 2003, 04:20
Slightly off topic I know -- but be warned about SmartMedia cards. I have had a couple of cases in the not-so-distant past in which I have gleefully downloaded a whole lot of files to a SmartMedia card (students' tests) -- only to find that they didn't have the files on them when I got back to base and tried to upload them to my PC.
Irritating and highly embarrassing.
I now have a card reader that writes to both SmartMedia and also to Compact Flash cards -- and now copy everything to both cards. Needless to say, since I have started doing this, I have never had a failure on either type of card.
Have never had any problem with CF cards - and am routinely using a 256Mb card. I wonder whether the exposed contacts on the SM cards don't make it easier to zap the contents with static.
Anyway - for what it's worth ...