PDA

View Full Version : Cabair Ground Crew Let The Side Down

whirlycopter
21st Jul 2003, 18:53
As I wandered around the Gp this weekend I spotted a group of ground handlers in Cabair uniforms (well the hi-vis stuff) knocking back cans of Fosters.

Hardly helps the industry's image.

helimatt
21st Jul 2003, 21:09
Yeah, anyone who's caught drinking Fosters :yuk: in public, or anywhere for that fact, should be sacked!;)

whirlycopter
21st Jul 2003, 21:29
Fair point, actually!

Jarvy
21st Jul 2003, 21:55
Cannot condone but might it have been free samples from
GP sponsor?
I was on the ground at the Open and strongest available
was coffee.

pilotwolf
22nd Jul 2003, 04:53
Free samples or not, I have to agree with Whirlycopter.

FLYING AND FLYING SUPPORT IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THE CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOL.

Save it for the end of the day AFTER all flying is complete.

:suspect: :suspect: :suspect:

Hilico
22nd Jul 2003, 05:03
You don't say what time of day this was. Of course, it still doesn't look great (hic).

Autorotate
22nd Jul 2003, 05:11
Its amazing that the Cabair supervisor there didnt put a stop to it, or even that the pilots didnt say something, unless they did but its not posted here.

The perception of the helicopter industry is something that every one of us must take into consideration, especially at events such as that. Even if they had a great flight and saw some great flying, the last thing these passengers might remember is the guy getting them out of the helicopter with a Fosters in their hand. No excuse for something like that.

Would be interesting to see what Cabair management have to say about this. What about someone in the UK calling them and asking what company policy is.

:E

whirlycopter
22nd Jul 2003, 06:20
This was during the red arrows display and well away from the heliport but presumably they would have been hanging round until the end of the day to get the punters back on board.

Booze really is totally incompatible with aviation, especially as the pax were probably half cut by return trip time.

Even if it was just one beer, at least take the hi vis gear off.

Woolf
22nd Jul 2003, 16:17
funny really ... no one knows the details (including me) but everyone seems to be quick to point the finger .... another problem in the aviation industry perhaps:confused:

Woolf

Helinut
22nd Jul 2003, 17:14
Woolf,

This isn't a courtroom, its a rumour network!

The point though is the impression that it gives, which is not a good advert for our industry.

chopperman
22nd Jul 2003, 20:38
Strange world we live in...

A pilot breaks the rules and flies under a bridge, to calls of, 'Good on ya mate', and 'hope he gets away with it'. But let one groundcrewman, sup one can of beer...

...double standards here methinks.

Fly safely,
Chopperman.

Helinut
22nd Jul 2003, 21:42
Let everyone concerned with helicopters do what ever they want, but don't be surprised or complain when helicopters continue to have a reputation for being dangerous and a cowboy industry. Then even fewer of us will be able to eke out a living from a contracting business sector ...............

wokkaboy
23rd Jul 2003, 01:31
Interesting to read this - I was one of the ground crew on the day (no, I'm not management) and during our briefing it was quite evident that the number one concern was, as ever, safety. In Cabair's defence it is expected that the ground crew are not to drink alcohol on duty, this is common sense and is reiterated to staff.

It must be said that a small number of the staff on the day were brought in to help out and one or two may have succumbed to a drink - one or two out of a ground crew of around fifty.

For the record, we managed to move several hundred people to and from the GP smoothly during the weekend with some very favourable comments.
Personally, I would be more worried about how many of the crowd at the GP decided to have more than one Fosters and then take to the road...

PS: and I can confirm that only water passed my lips!

pilotwolf
23rd Jul 2003, 02:26
wokkaboy ... it's good to hear that - from the horses' mouth as it were.

I m sure most will be re-assured that the (?)full time staff were sensibly safety orinetated and abstained.

Maybe you could pass on the observations made here to the managers and next year they may be more select in their hiring...

PW

peterperfect
5th Aug 2003, 05:02
I'd say that the time to address this incident in a professional manner was as it was actually happening, by the observer of accused safety conflict ?

Imagine if 30 mins later a tail rotor struck one of the drinkers, months later you were called to the witness box saying: " oh yes M'Lud I saw them all boozing half an hour before" what do you think the next defence question will be to you ??

If the observer/thread starter simply found a supervisor, pilot or company rep at the time, one of several things might have happened:

a) they might have been drinking Fosters on duty contrary to good safety, and the company could have issued a factual, properly considered disciplinery response, based on hard evidence, or

b) it might have been blue cans of cola they were drinking, no harm done apart from to teeth, or

c) they might have been drinking the amber nectar yet already completed their paid safety activities that day but were daft enough not to remove their safety vests, or

d) or the observer had some axe to grind.

I dont know what the true answer is, I wasnt there, I'm not involved with any party.

Too much conjecture due to a lack of a positive action at the time I'd say, next time better to nip it in the bud(wiser)?

Rich Lee
5th Aug 2003, 08:12
Want some cheese to go with your WHINE?

Did anybody go over and ask them why they were drinking in uniform or if they were on duty? Did anyone challange them? If not, don't complain now.

At the end of the day, particularly after standing out on a ramp during a race or airshow, exposed to the elements, noise, people and the other stuff attendant with events of that nature, a beer can be quite refreshing--uniform or no uniform.