PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at Belfast International??

Madtoonfan
21st Jul 2003, 18:13
Hi all, does anyone have any directions for any spotting areas or good sites to spot aircraft at Belfast International. I know i asked for balfast city last week but im booking flights to international with easyjet for the dya and i would highly regard some areas of interest and good places to photograph and aircraft spot in general. I would be grateful for any replies. Thanks
Madtoonfan :confused: :ok: :cool:

ALLMCC
21st Jul 2003, 21:29
Hi, hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless you have a burning desire to watch easyjet, bmi baby and army gazelles/pumas all day I really wouldnt bother - viewing facilities within the terminal are virtually non existent, the viewing gallery having gradually reduced in size to accomodate easyjet - as far as perimeter roads are concerned there are some vantage points but take care as these tend to be frequently patrolled by military due to RAF/Army presence at the airfield.

Really you'd be much better to stick with BHD!

Madtoonfan
21st Jul 2003, 23:30
As you say the vieiwing to benefit easyjet. Where and what do you mean? Is it a small viewing terrace? Or is it a building of some sort?

NWSRG
21st Jul 2003, 23:53
Madtoonfan,

The viewing area was recently opened up again to its previous size...it gives a grandstand view of the main apron, with a clear view of R07-R25. If you are leaving the airport, there is a lay-by on the main road towards Templepatrick which a/c arriving on 25 pass over at about 300ft. It is frequented by local spotters and the police etc. will not be concerned about you.

Scheduled services are nearly all 737 (bar the MyTravelLite A320s from BHX), while at this time of year you can see a lot of charter airbuses. AirTransat bring in the Tristar from Toronto, and there are a number of wide-bodies from Florida also.

Occasionally, you'll get a good view of a Hercules into RAF Aldergrove.

Good hunting.

Madtoonfan
22nd Jul 2003, 01:10
Thanks a lot. Is there any more information that anyone can give me? Are there any pubs/restaurants near the outer perimeter?? If so can you give me any direction to them. Thanks

Pub User
22nd Jul 2003, 06:45
There's a very nice restaurant on the exit road. It's raised slightly above road level, and has large windows at the rear, which look over the airfield. I can't remember its name, but you'll see it on the right as you drive out of the airport.