PDA

View Full Version : changing program associatios

Squawk7777
21st Jul 2003, 11:19
I am trying to change the preferences for my audio (mp3) files. Right now, they are associated with Winamp, but I would like to change them over to Sonique. Don't remember if Sonique asked me or not or if I simply didn't pay any attention. If I right-click on a MP3 file, the menu shows "open" and not "open with .." (which would make matters much easier).

So do you do it?

7 7 7 7

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Jul 2003, 12:10
Squawk7777,

Right click on an MP3 File and go to Properties. You will see a button next to Open With: Winamp called Change... click on it and it will open a new window. In there find Sonique and click on it. Now you are set.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.

Timothy
21st Jul 2003, 15:47
Squawk7777

Another neat trick is that you can associate more than one program to a file type, such that you can open it is a variety of different ways. WAV would be a good example, as under some circumstances you might want RealPlayer and Media Player under others.

I have DLLs set up to both register and unregister, for example.

If you, or anyone else, wants to know how I will post instructions.

W

under_exposed
21st Jul 2003, 15:47
Holding down the shift key while right clicking will bring up open with.

Timothy
21st Jul 2003, 18:07
Holding down the shift key while right clicking will bring up open with. That's OK, provided you don't want command line switches. For example, on DLLs and OCXs I have two choices REGSVR32 for registering and REGSVR32 /U for unregistering.

Horses for courses.

W

Squawk7777
22nd Jul 2003, 08:38
Ok folks ...

Thanks for your replies so far. I forgot to mention :\ that I am using Win98. Interestingly, if I use the method as suggested by under-exposed and select Sonique Winamp will still open & play the mp3 file (kinda rude)

please WCollins let me know you set up the DLLs ...

7 7 7 7

Timothy
22nd Jul 2003, 18:03

I have got W2K in front of me at the moment, so the below may be a little different in W98, but not a lot.

Windows Explorer
Tools
Options
File Types
Select the extension you want (or add it, if it's not there)
Advanced
Select Open
Click on Edit to give yourself the idea of how this is constructed
Cancel
New
Action is open
Application is the command line you want executed, including switches
OK
Close

Bob should be your uncle, when you right click you get offered alternatives of want you want to do.

W