PDA

View Full Version : Sept 11 and Ansett history

Raider1
21st Jul 2003, 06:29
I was having a clean out of old Ansett staff papers at weekend and came across a glossy card from Graham McMahon.
The card said " September 11 would be an important day in Ansetts history " Well it sure turned out to be exactly that. But he was referringing to September 11 1993 and the launch of the first international service to Bali. Kinda scary eh?

Torres
21st Jul 2003, 07:22
A day out I think. Didn't Ansett cease operations on September 12?

Sheep Guts
21st Jul 2003, 07:45
Actually Torres it was Sept 14 Ansett dropped its bundle.

I was at the time doing QF initail Tests on Sept11 and Easterns Interview on Sept13. The head Manager was suppost to be at my Interview according to the 2 Captain interviewing me. They were in Emergency meetings with Hazo and Kendalls about picking up 14 routes by Friday Sept14.

It was pretty messy I recall. The guy behind me was 20 minutes late for his interview, dunno how he went though. Noticed a heap of FlightWest stickers on his case mmmmmmm.

Regards
Sheeep

p.s. remember that week badly, it affected and is still now effecting people in the Industry, including me here now , so the other Pilots say.

After Sept 11

1. No freedom to jump seat anywhere for crews all over the world

2. FAA Type Ratings that were Cost effective and easy are no more.

3. Any traing in the USA is a long shameless hassel with authorities, even finger prints required now.

AVAITION IS VERY VERY UNCERTAIN. NO ONE IS IMMUNE FROM ITS UNCERTAINTIES.

9/11, ANTHRAX, IRAQ WAR, AND SARS. What next?

Boney
21st Jul 2003, 08:00
North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia?

Raider1
21st Jul 2003, 09:48
My reference to Sept 11 was made because as I understand it the events of that day in the US 100% convinced the NZ board to cast Ansett adrift. They were already close to that decision but after that day any remaining slim hope had dissapeared.

cheers

SixStarAnsett
21st Jul 2003, 15:36
The kitchen sink......as in the gurgler (fingers crossed not though)

SixStarAnsett:(