PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue International

Parry Hotter
20th Jul 2003, 20:58
Does anyone know how VB are going to crew flights to NZ and the South Pacific? Will they overnight in those countries? I did hear that the only VB crew that will do these routes are the ones that have been with the company for a while.

QF skywalker
20th Jul 2003, 21:45
Parry Hotter,

I am led to belive that Virgin Blue will not operate as an international carrier to NZ, Fiji etc. Due to the 49% ownership of Virgin Atlantic by SQ , they are not allowed to operate the virgin blue name as an international carrier.Therefore, I believe they will set up a different airline name and perhaps even hire new staff to operate this new airline.

just my thoughts, although I am 99% sure that the virgin blue name will not operate internationally.

regards
qf skywalker

qfmike737
20th Jul 2003, 22:14
Yeah from previous posts the word was that the name would be "Pacific Blue"

missleadfoot
21st Jul 2003, 15:06
I have also heard a few names being tossed around so we shall wait and see.

I really wouldn't expect the crews to be overnighting at these ports due to the short flight times eg, BNE/SYD - Fiji is only around 3.5 - 4 hrs, NZ even less. I've done these routes before and it's get them off, get it cleaned and get them back on again. Really no different to some domestic routes here. I could be wrong but utilising 2 crews for such a short trip, hotels and allowances just doesn't seem sensible business.

If Virgin Blue do decide to use another name for international operations it may require a new award put in place to cover this flying, similar to what Ansett Domestic and International had in place. I cant see them flying international as Virgin Blue but who knows.

ozflyboy
22nd Jul 2003, 18:58
Do any DJ crew (or anyone else for that matter) have any ideas on further destinations that Virgin Blue may fly to after these initial international ports?

What about the whole HKG thing (either DJ flying there or Virgin Atlantic flying here?).......

Interesting........

;)

airborne1
24th Jul 2003, 21:18
Virgin will be flying internationally before the end of the year...however it wont be under the name of virgin blue. After speaking with management some of these destinations will be overnighters depending on how many flights go in and out of those destinations per week...some will just be turn arounds.

Its sounds exciting. All crew will be operating the international flights with a mix of both domestic and international trips per roster.

The airline will be under a differ name but utilizing virgin blue staff.

QF skywalker
29th Jul 2003, 17:43
airborne1,

sound like you guys may not be doing as much international flying as you thought ?:ugh: :ugh:

Just read in a press release from Brett Godfrey that DJ will possibly set up another virgin airline in NZ - The low-cost carrier is also considering setting up a New Zealand subsidiary if mutual recognition of safety regimens on either side of the Tasman puts Australian carriers at a competitive disadvantage.

This would mean that your kiwi colleagues would be doing international flying also and I dare say at cheaper rates than the virgin blue crew. A very indentical situation to what is happening with the Qantas NZ subsidiary " Jetconnect " who will taking over many of trans tasman runs from QF mainline as they are cheaper.

Intereting times ahead.

QF skywalker

GalleyHag
29th Jul 2003, 20:38
You guys say you will be operating both domestic and international flights. Does this mean you will be employed by 2 different companies/airlines? As it has been reported that Virgin Blue will not operate internationally. Will you have 2 uniforms? This would be like a QFLink F/A operating a Sydney/Gold Coast one day changing uniform and airline to QF and operating a Sydney/Auckland. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit odd?

ferris
29th Jul 2003, 21:52
Maybe you need to open your mind a bit, Galleyhag. Some intense prejudice showing there.

Hypothetical scenario:
"Virgin Pacific", a new international airline, contracts Virgin Blue to crew flights for them. They operate exactly the same aircraft, and serve only drinks and snacks (maybe even sell them) on short international sectors eg AKL etc.
What is the difference between operating a SYD-PER sector or a SYD-AKL sector?
No different uniforms, aircraft, service, or mindset . Different pay, certainly, to what QF longhaul get, but isn't that already the reality (Jetconnect).

Aviation really is changing.

airborne1
3rd Aug 2003, 21:46
well you guys are getting hotter...some are way off though!

QF Skywalker...wait and see...but I think you will be shocked as to how it pans out and not as you expect.

Ferris....hot ....close but not quite right in a few aspects.

Galley hag...on the right track...warm getting hotter.

:D

SQ286
3rd Aug 2003, 21:55
can lay to rest any rumours surrounding DJ's trans tasman arm being called "Pacific Blue" as this is registered to NZ...

I think DJ will look to do the same thing as QF (Jetconnect) those crewing will be employed by the subsidary and paid accordingly... everything will look smell and feel DJ but will the opposite...

Your pay will be more along the lines of what those who work for Jetconnect receive... considerablly less to that of your other trans tasman collegues working for QF/NZ ... roughly the same as SJ?

No worries mate
4th Aug 2003, 11:39
SQ,

The name "Pacific Blue" is registered to a legal firm based in Brisbane. There are also a few other names registered to this company.

GalleyHag
4th Aug 2003, 15:34
Ferris

Im sorry if I offended you. It was just an observation compared to QF in terms of the logistics of seperate airlines under the one company. Anyway it appears from all reports (Financial Review etc) that DJ is following the QF lead in terms of cheap NZ labour.

Alpha Charlie Bravo
4th Aug 2003, 15:36
They are prevented from using the DJ trading name - "Virgin Blue". This does NOT mean a separate company or operation needs to be established to operate intnl sectors. Too costly anyhow.

As an aside, are we seeing the aviation equivalent of the maritime industry's 'flag of convenience' coming to Oz? Look at what has happened to the maritime industry in this great nation of ours. Foreign registered (read little/no safety oversight), 'flag of convenience' ships with MUCH cheaper foreign Captain and crew usually from Asia or Eastern Europe.

Is our aviation industry going down the same path fast? Once industry best practice, no more. Will it take a plane load of Aussies and Kiwi's lost in the drink over the Tasman before everyone concerned wakes up and smells the coffee.

Now, where'd I put the employment section?:(

ferris
4th Aug 2003, 16:25
Galleyhag,
My post reads more harshly than intended. I am grumpy in real life, too;)

Brisvegasboy
26th Aug 2003, 19:33
Hey guys,

Any further info on the above topic from those in the know??

Bvb

SkySista
27th Aug 2003, 17:03
The low-cost carrier is also considering setting up a New Zealand subsidiary if mutual recognition of safety regimens on either side of the Tasman puts Australian carriers at a competitive disadvantage.

What'll they call it...? Kiwi Blue???? :E

SS