PDA

View Full Version : Monarch rostering

monarchgirl
20th Jul 2003, 16:21
Well got my roster and again no trip for the 3rd month. I'm seriuosly considering leaving now, as I cannot survive on £900 and less a month.

Again people are getting 2-3 trips a month and some crew have not had any trips for 6 months+. What are rostering doing? It cannot be that hard to fairly distribute trips, all I'm asking for is a trip every other month!

Is there really nothing I can do? Go to the union? Speak to management? Will they listen? Please someone help! I really like the company and the crew are great, I don't want to leave, but I may have no choice!

Psr777
20th Jul 2003, 22:50
Do the cabin crew have a rostering/crewing agreement in place with the union? If so, you should have been issued with a copy of it. Read it back to front and compare it with your rosters. Any disparities then detail them back to both your union rep and your direct line managers.

Regards
:) :) :)

longarm
21st Jul 2003, 15:11
Why not leave then and go somewhere else? If you fly because you want long haul then you made the wrong choice. Monarch rostering always works like this. Just remember that many people are into their second decade with the company and have still never seen any long haul. If it bothers you so much then speak to the union ask them to get rostering to look at the ladders.

pipco
23rd Jul 2003, 01:03
hey monarch girl
sorry to hear bout ure longhaul or lack of it but could it be that u think no trips means a bullet or maybe a 2/3night stay somewhere?ive heard a few people say i havent got anything and they have something ie a tabago for 2 nights or a cayo coco for 3 nights.if u think that is nothing then i havent had a trip in ages either!
its good to know u enjoy working at monarch and u like the crew but i really think u want to go to virgin if ure not happy with longhaul cause were not a longhaul company
anyway happy flying!

monarchgirl
23rd Jul 2003, 03:40
Hi Pipco.

Thanks darling! But no I've had nothing, not even a bullet. I would be very happy with a bullet every month!!

im going in
25th Jul 2003, 18:04
Have you spoken to crew control to consider you for trips when they have to cover sickness at short notice. it does happen. If you make yourself known, u may get what u want.

Monarchgirl

I have read all your posts, basically all you do is moan about the company. If yr not happy leave and join someone else.

monarchgirl
25th Jul 2003, 21:29
What is it with some people! Why am I'm not allowed to voice my opinion? If I cannot let of steam here then where can I?

And to be fair I was not moaning, just asking fellow crew for advice on what I could do! Yes I do speak my mind about Monarch, especially if I feel I'm not being paid fairly i.e. not being paid same as perms when the law has now changed.

If you had read my post, you will see that I clearly stated I enjoy working for the company, and do not really want to leave I just cannot survive on £800 a month with a husband and kids to feed!

Flying Kangaroo
25th Jul 2003, 21:52
MonarchGirl's post is fair and simple.

747flyinggirl
28th Jul 2003, 00:15
I agree with you too monarchgirl that you should be able to voice your opinion. I too voiced mine on excel, warning people about some of the things that were going on, and ended with someone getting awkward with me too. Don't take any notice, but if I was you I would definately try to speak to someone in Ops or crewing and this will be an opportunity to get yourself known as was mentioned above. Good Luck hope you get some long haul. I have just started mine and its pretty tiring starting off after just short haul.

Happy Flying :D

STARBUX
6th Aug 2003, 02:06
Longarm,

I used to work for Monarch out of LGW.......surely the reason why some people are in their second decade with the company and never seen any long haul is thru their own choice? They have babies , families etc and dont want to be away. Can u seriously expect people to work at Monarch for over 10 years and never operate a long haul flight without complaining to the Base Manager or Crew Control???!!!!! U know it doesnt work like that! Why should one crew member, who has never had any long haul, work a drinks cart on an ALC alongside another crew member who has just spent the last month doing stateside trips and feel that its ok for this to happen? Why should they expect to cut short their career with the big M because of it?

Like I said , I worked for Monarch for 2 years at LGW and it wasnt until I had been made permanent that I started to get long haul trips.......after 6 months I got my fare share.....why shouldnt everyone else if that is wot they want? Monarch is a short haul AND long haul charter operation......HELLO!!!!

raintime
6th Aug 2003, 21:47
Starbux

There is no way of knowing it reading through this thread but monarchgirl's lack of any trips in the past three rosters is partly beacause she's only had THREE rosters in tatal. As you said, you started to get your trips once you were made permanent. In the private monarch forum it is clear that monarchgirl is half way through her first season which I think explains some of longarm's comments. Can you remember the unofficial comments by instructors during your training that it's best not to expect any longhaul during your temporary contract? Hope you enjoyed your time at LGW and your new pastures.

monarchgirl

As many respondants have already said, I'm sure you will find that once you get your permanent contract suddenly you will be rostered plenty of longhaul. The winter generally has many more long and therefore lucrative trips. But don't do longhaul just for the money. It's an experience to be enjoyed; generally the ones that hate it don't put much effort in either.
The most important issue is getting that permanent contract and moaning about rostering when you've only had three isn't probably the wisest thing to do. Monarch is a 'traditional' airline that has been around for 35 years and you may find it best to keep your head down until you are more established.
On the other hand, rostering is so variable that next month might bring a multitude of trips!:D

chilled
10th Aug 2003, 19:31
Hi Monarchgirl,

I worked a temp contract for Monarch a few years ago and even then we were told not to expect any longhaul work. We were lucky and most go to do at least one trip toward the end of their contract.

I joined on a year that they didn't need to keep to many people on permanent and they did try to manage our expectations as to what we should expect.

I hope you get to stay with Monarch as I enjoyed my time there and then you will get the trips that you want.

Regards

Chilled :D

STARBUX
11th Aug 2003, 21:56
Hi Raintime,

Yes it wasnt obvious that Monarch Girl had only HAD three rosters!! The Cheek of it!!!! I really enjoyed my time at the big M, their training is the best, well at least out of the four airlines that I have worked for. I used to really enjoy the 12 day Bangor/Orlando trips....spending all the money down the malls and getting trashed in Firestones......all those lovely men!!!!!

Safe Flying