PDA

View Full Version : All Change at EGNT?

transwede
19th Jul 2003, 02:20
Since new management took over the running of Newcastle they have instigated major changes, with more radical ones afoot according to airport gossip!

Management have recently
- Sacked all Terminal Duty Officers and hired new ones from outside the aviation field,
- Contracted out the trolley collection etc to the cleaning company
- Are shortly closing the travel agency, which has been there for alot of years,
- Introduced new retail facilities, including bureau de change
- and stopped all airport staff using the fast track through security, meaning with the large ques now a regular occurance at NCL staff are late getting to aircraft etc

Rumour now has it that the airport authirity have put the handling agents contracts out to tender, with four possibilities to take up the two positions. For previous god knows how many years it has been Servisair and Northeast/Groundstar, both of which are chronically short staffed and not performing to the satisfaction of the new management! has anyone heard of KISS Handling, apparantly they are one of the short runners, including Servisair, Groundstar and an unamed company (reed, aviance???).

As well as radically changing the airport, they are encouraging new services, including the low cost revolution with easyjet's base pretty new, ryanair to Dublin and Air Scotlands recent arrival. lets hope things turn out better for passengers, giving a greater choice and for staff, having a better place to work! :confused:

In trim
19th Jul 2003, 03:43
"KISS" is a new 'lower-cost' offshoot of Menzies Aviation, standing for "Keep it Inexpensive, Simple, and Safe". Have already started up in EMA and touting for business elsewhere.

redfield
19th Jul 2003, 04:53
It wouldn't surprise me if the handling agents contracts have been put to tender by the management, but what happens to the airlines contracts with the extant handling agents? You can't really just say to British Eurpean for example "hey sorry, Servisair just got sacked - find somone else!!!":\ :\

Or can you????
:confused:

onehunga
21st Jul 2003, 20:21
Dare I mention that landing fees for GA could go as high as £30 if a planned objection is unsuccessful. Currently discounted at a touch over £14 which still hurts.

Silkman
22nd Jul 2003, 05:55
My sources tell me that the tender for the third handling agent will be going out shortly for an April start up. I know EZY are'nt happy at the moment and with Aviance's parent company just down the road it would make sense for them to move in.
Is Groundstar still up for sale ?

johnwalton
24th Jul 2003, 06:40
I think Aviance would be a forerunner, considering their sister company Meteor just took control of the parking facilities at the airport.

It was nice of them to spend half-a-mil making sure you have to lug your luggage 100m when you get dropped off now, as opposed to being right in front of the terminal building. "The main objective of the redevelopment work is to provide a safe and more secure environment," fair enough, but shouldn't the likes of Manchester and Heathrow be taking similar steps if this is really necessary?