PDA

View Full Version : Hardware prob with my video card?

vancouv
18th Jul 2003, 22:16
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about a problem I'm having.

I was using the PC when it hung - not particuarly unusual! However, when I tried to reboot it wouldn't come up again. After a bit of mucking about with safe mode, and stepping through the startup it did eventually boot up, although I don't believe I actually did anything to fix it.

However, when I switch the PC on now I get this situation:

1) A DOS type message appears on the screen from my video card (I have an old NVIDIA one) - this has always happened.

2) The PC goes through its normal hardware checking - but now there are lines down the screen which didn't used to be there.

3) It successfully boots into Windows 98, but the screen is completely awful - when you move the mouse, 'bits' are left behind and it's almost unreadable. As soon as you get into Windows it comes up with a message saying the video card doesn't support the mode I'm running in, and tells me I have to change it - however this is not possible.

There is nothing wrong with my monitor as I have a second PC that still works fine, and I don't think it is a problem in Windows itself as the display is dodgy as soon as I switch it on, long before Windows has booted.

Therefore it seems to me it may be a hardware problem with my graphics card - any ideas?

Lost_luggage34
19th Jul 2003, 02:38
Is it possible that the true, correct video driver has become corrupted ? So, Win98 has loaded a lowest common denominator default driver ? Might be worth checking refresh rate too.

Just an idea - worth a quick check; you probably know this bit ...

- Right click on a blank part of the desktop
- Select Properties, select Settings Tab, then Advanced,
Adapter and then Properties

Good Luck !

timmcat
19th Jul 2003, 06:22
I'm always really reluctant to blame hardware, but. in this case I think your card may be suspect.

Difficult to check.. but if its an old card, 60 quid on a new budget card may well be money well spent.

Tim

Naples Air Center, Inc.
19th Jul 2003, 08:33
vancouv,

It is hard to troubleshoot without any details about your hardware other than you have an old nVidia Video Card and Win98. It would really help if you listed all your hardware specs.

Some things to check:

1) If your Video Card has a fan on it, is the fan still spinning?

2) Try removing the Video Card and Reseating it in the AGP Slot.

3) Try the monitor from your second computer on the first and see if you get the same "lower text" at initial bootup.

4) If the Video Card is compatible with your motherboard on your second computer, try it in that computer and Visa Versa with the Video Card from your second computer.

There is a good chance the card overheated and damaged itself but without any more details it is really hard to offer a guess.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.
Custom Computers of Naples, Inc.