PDA

View Full Version : Living and working in Malaysia

FlyMD
18th Jul 2003, 21:42
Howdy Expats!

I'm considering a corporate contract which entails living in Kuala Lumpur, on a Bizjet based there. Does anybody have experience living in Kuala Lumpur or Malaysia?

As the details of the contract are negotiable, I'm particularly interested in cost-of-living, rental fees for apartments or houses, taxes and such....

Tks for any reply!

Chris

Sultan Ismail
20th Jul 2003, 00:06
Living in Malaysia

Hi FlyMD

Can I help you on the basis of being an Expat in Malaysia for several years, firstly are you going to be based at Subang, the old international airport, or out at Sepang the new International airport, commonly known as KLIA.

This affects your place of abode. Lets assume you are at Subang, the areas most suited to Expats are Mont Kiara, Bangsar and Ampang. It does depend on your lifestyle, whether you are single or with family and what transport arrangements your company make.

All the above locations are 30-45 minutes in either direction from Subang. There is a ready supply of furnished accomodation in condominium blocks in all these areas from RM2500 upwards per month, however budget on RM4500 to be really comfortable. That equates to 750 Pounds sterling or CHF 1600 per month.

The climate is warm, 32 C during the day, everyday, with regular thunderstorms, you'll enjoy that in your Bizjet.

Lifestyle will dictate where you live, so take time to look.

I work at Subang and live in the Golden Triangle which is none of the above areas, it is the centre of Kuala Lumpur where most of the hotels, entertainment and nightlife are situated. That suits my lifestyle, so its upto you.

If you can give me some more specifics, I'll try to respond accordingly. BTW are you at Kloten or Cointrin?

Sultan Ismail

kwaiyai
23rd Jul 2003, 13:28
Sultan Ismail,
A message for you in your PM, Thanks in advance.
Regards.