PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2000 SP4

amanoffewwords
18th Jul 2003, 19:41
Anyone else had problems after installing SP4 for Win 2k - my machine was behaving oddly (or more oddly than normal) post SP4 - had to revert back to SP3.

For example a re-install of Acrobat Reader under SP4 was telling me I had insufficient disk space (only 8GB!) - but worked perfectly under SP3.

Fortunately the fallback was a piece of cake - glad I left the option to leave backup copies of previous install - I normally uncheck that...

Cheers
amofw

fobotcso
18th Jul 2003, 20:05
Nary a problem on two desktops and two laptops. Just as well since I always decline the back-up option.:oh:

I was making sure that I covered all my options struggling with Bluetooth. Not my favourite subject. It works fine, but I've never seen a topic written up as badly.

J-Heller
19th Jul 2003, 06:54
Why not just switch to Apple Mac's and make your lives a whole lot easier.

Just sell your old ****e off and do it!

No offence intended; sincerely, i would recommend this!!

They just came down in price and I reckon if you buy under the student schem you can knowck off another £100...

Best of luck....

JH

Lost_luggage34
20th Jul 2003, 06:26
Not a problem for me on a desktop running Win2K Pro.

I was expecting something having always been wary of the even numbered SPs under NT. Admit I didn't read any release notes so I'm not aware of any caveats. No doubt Richard will be along with some of his excellent advice shortly ;)

fobotcso
20th Jul 2003, 17:22
Lost_Luggage34, you said:

I was expecting something having always been wary of the even numbered SPs under NT.

That's a surprise to me. Perhaps you mean NT 3.51.

NT4 didn't really come of age until SP4; SP5 I can hardly remember and SP6a took it up to the finish line as a solid OS within its limitations (eg no native USB). It's still running on countless Servers around the world.

NT4 was the mould for the success of 2000 and XP. Those who don't know this series, but only have experience of 9x and ME might justifiably regard the Mac as superior. In my struggle to decide whether or not to go Mac-wise I need the objective opinions of those with experience of XP and OS X.

Or is it not just about the OS but about the hardware as well? Have to admit that if it was just about styling, I'd run out and buy a Mac now.

Lost_luggage34
21st Jul 2003, 05:47
Yep, I was referring to NT 3.51 !! I reckon it was just about sorted and stable with SP6a.

Ran that on a server at home for a few years - no great complaints. Was also very happy with 98SE on a laptop for several years.

I am now a total Win 2K Pro convert - extremely stable, with good inherent intelligence such as plug & play that truly works !

No knowledge of XP and I wouldn't go near ME as I understand that it's a dead end in terms of upgrade paths.