PDA

View Full Version : Searching PPRuNe - A bit tricky of late

Homer Simpson
18th Jul 2003, 17:46
A recent mod to the search criteria means that you cannot enter a word with less than 5 characters. It has therefore become impossible to search for :

BA
BMI
KLM
LTU
TNT
NOW
JET2
DHL
DUO
GB AIRWAYS
THOMAS COOK

And they are just the European ones I tried.

But best of all ..........

It rejects a search for any company that has "AIR" in the title (not to mention "Sky", "Jet", "Aero"and "Fly".)

If it's an aircraft you're searching for then you'll be OK as long as it's not a :

B707 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 B777 A320 A330 A340 DC3 DC4 DC6 DC8 DC9 DC10 LIO11 F4 - F111 B1- B52.......................

Don't try searching for obscure airports like "EGHH" or "LAX".

You'll be wasting your time with "UTC" or "GMT".

You won't even be in the proximity with "GPWS"

You wont see a thing if you type "IMC"

You''ll run out of speed if you go for "MACH" or "IAS"

You won't even have a near miss if looking for "TCAS"

You'll get completely lost if you search for "VOR", "DME", "ILS", "ADF", "HSI", "RDMI", "EADI", "SAR"
or "ATC".

You'll be unreadable if you search for "VHF", "UHF" or "HF".

And unfortunately, there's no hope for you wannabes looking for info on obtaining an "ATPL" from the "CAA", "FAA" or "JAA".

Other than that, it's a great new search engine for an aviation website ;)

Danny
18th Jul 2003, 18:42
Hmmm... I agree it's not the best search engine but it's the only one I've got.

During some spring cleaning a few days ago, I re-indexed all the forums (about 21 million words, 228 million characters) which took over 24 hours to run. In an attempt to reduce the size of the index I opted to only index words of 5 characters or more. Ooops! :\

I'll re-index again using 3 or more characters but you won't be able to use the search function (including finding posts by other users) for the next day or so. As for looking up 'BA'... tough! :bored:

Notso Fantastic
18th Jul 2003, 22:21
Looking up BA's what? God Bless Her (saluting)

newswatcher
18th Jul 2003, 22:34
Whilst on the subject of search, am I right in thinking that, if I enter my userid in the "search by username" field, and enter "2 weeks ago" in the "search for posts from" field, I will only get results where "newswatcher" has posted during the last two weeks?

In other words, if I wanted to know whether anyone had added anything to a post I had submitted over two weeks ago, this above specification would not work.

If I am correct, how would I search for an updated response during the past two weeks for any thread that I had ever contributed to, without leaving "search for posts from" as "any date" and incurring heavy usage on the search function?

Hope that's understandable, it is Friday afternoon! :confused:

Danny
18th Jul 2003, 22:56
Newswatcher... did you actually try it? I just did and it brought up all the posts you had posted in over the last two weeks. Just look at the names on the right of who was the last poster and if it isn't yours then voila... someone else must have posted since you did! :8

Jeez! I'm off to fly a Boeing to Greece. Much easier than answering all these questions! :bored:

newswatcher
18th Jul 2003, 23:23
Thanks Danny, yes I did try it, and got the results which lead me to believe that my hypothesis was correct. However, I will have another go and see if there is a difference.

Have a good trip!

Here are results:

Search 1 - "one week", produced 28 hits with oldest post being "Is Fujairah Sustainable" on 14/7/03 @ 07:21.

Search 2 - "two weeks", produced 49 hits, but now the "Fujairah" post is position 37, with 36 "newer" ones. So why did the "one week" search not produce 37 hits? :confused:

Do the same with "parapunter". "One week" gives 15 hits, with oldest "Exquisite shops" at 09:37 on 14/7/03. "two weeks" gives 28 hits, but now the "Exquisite shops" post is at position 17. :confused: