PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping at the controls

togabutton
18th Jul 2003, 09:59
Anyone see this? I was watching the news earlier today and there was a story about a pilot who was filmed asleep at the controls. I could not tell what aircraft it was because of the video footage - it looked like a King Air or B1900 panel though. The flight was from the Bahamas to Ft Lauderdale and the passengers were in a state of panic. The cockpit door was open and one of the pax filmed close ups of the pilot who was out cold fast asleep. It says that they were on autopilot and does not mention if there was a second pilot in the cockpit - I got the impression there was not. The FAA has issued a statement and the company has grounded the fellow.

Anyone have other details? In this day and age where the public is frightened of flying, such stories only increase hysteria. What was that idiot thinking? There are lots of unemployed pilots out there who would no doubt do a better job!

George Semel
19th Jul 2003, 09:43
Yea, I saw it, the other guy was flying and this poor guy caught a few Z's. And they act like its the end of the world. Sun and warmth could happen to anybody. Hell ask any pilot who flies single pilot! I flown enough in the last 28 years not to get my butt in a knot over this stuff. If I was the DO, I would have a little talk then we go fly and that would be the end of it. And no I would not fire the guy. Thats the problem nobody sticks up for anybody anymore. And for the guy with the Camera, I tell him get a life and what the hell was he doing runninge electronics during flight? And If I was the FAA I would tell him that the rest he go during the fight dose not count towards his rest time per the FAR's. Other than don't do it again that would be it. This is a non issue. The Airline the Feds and the press all know it. But we live in the age of the the News 24 and 7. So he gets his career aborted before it even starts.

jet_noseover
19th Jul 2003, 09:55
Any pilot’s Airlines may as well cut their “sleepyhead” expense by getting rid of the dead wood.
(I bet he and George Semels are logging their sleeping "command" time as if on duty, right?.)

Why is it required 2 crew be in that craft? Is it so one of them can get his' Z's?? As I said. The skipper knew he's done wrong since he fired himself before his employer did.
I hope the guy will face charges as appropriate for sleeping while on duty.

There is a thread going on that subject in Rumours & News.

weasil
19th Jul 2003, 20:31
There was a co-pilot and he denies that the captain was even asleep. I have seen the video, and it's not conclusive evidence. The pilot however already resigned.