PDA

View Full Version : Ipaq navigation programs

HOGE
17th Jul 2003, 23:08
Having just purchased an Ipaq pocket PC and a Navman GPS, I am looking for suitable programs for navigation/logbook/flight planning etc.

Any recommendations??

rotorboater
17th Jul 2003, 23:20
I have the "Flight Compnion start" bought from AFE, admitably it's the cheaper version of their other programe but it wouldn't persuade me to part with the £350 for the terrain avoidence version.

Basicly it's just a moving map with no information about waypoints, groundspeed etc, it's quite pretty but not worth the £100 I paid, try one of the others.

Sarik
17th Jul 2003, 23:29
Hoge,

I use Memory-Map for CAA charts (www.memory-map.co.uk). Gives you the actual CAA chart with your location on it (provided you have a GPS attached), along with speed and hight data. You can program in waypoints and stuff. You can also get Aerial photograph's that do the same thing (v interesting to watch yourself move over actual photo landscapes).

Pratically speaking, it's ok in the heli, handy to give you an exact location in reference to the chart. But I find it most useful for pin pointing GPS references on the CAA charts, marking them down on my actual chart and away I go.

Also useful to have an electronic version of the CAA charts always handy on a PDA.

I've found ALOFT to be the best (for price and functions) flight calc (www.skymarktechnologies.com).

Log book programs are a waste of time, use Excel, it's beter and easier to use.

Hope that helps.
S.

GLSNightPilot
18th Jul 2003, 05:01
Not to start a religious war, but there are a couple of excellent programs for Palm OS; Copilot and FlyByNav Pro. I don't know of any for PocketPC, there just aren't nearly as many programs for that OS.

3top
18th Jul 2003, 08:00
hoge:

Try

http://www.controlvision.com/

for a start. seems to be a top notch program.

3top
:cool:

Let us know how it works!!

GLSNightPilot
18th Jul 2003, 10:25
Also try FlyByNav Pro (http://www.skywritersoft.com/PocketPC.htm) . I haven't tried the PPC version, but the Palm version for OS4 & previous is nice. I had to ditch it when I got an OS5 Palm, but I'm waiting for the OS5 version. On the Palm it runs very quickly.

paco
18th Jul 2003, 19:54
oziexplorer is worth a loook too - works well with the plugin GPS for my Jornada

Phil

headsethair
18th Jul 2003, 22:26
Go to Istanbul and head south.

Oh - sorry.

I thought you asked for directions to Iraq.