PDA

View Full Version : Using Kazaa Lite

roach
17th Jul 2003, 21:58
Just started using this and all is working well but I need some help on the best way to use it! I can't find out what all the options do or buttons.
What is the best way to choose which track to download when there is a choice?
With broadband why did it take over an hour to download a track that takes 3 mins to play?
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

BRL
18th Jul 2003, 03:06
Hi there. When you get the search results back and are looking through them, look for the ones with a high Bandwidth basically, the higher the better. Don't even bother with any that are less than say 120. (Except for pictures). Also look at the ETA . That should give you a good indication of how long it will take. The menu bar at the top(of Kazza) will give you a few options if you click on that.

sqk0612
18th Jul 2003, 05:38
As an aside, make sure that you have a good Anti-virus programme running in the background whilst using Kazaa. I use Grisoft AVG, which is free to download, , and picked off a virus whilst I was downloading from Kazaa Lite- I just stored the virus in the AVG Virus Vault, and carried on, without deleting the virus. All fine!

Binoculars
18th Jul 2003, 17:20
Roach,

If you got Kazaa Lite expecting broadband downloading speeds you would, like me, be disappointed. I have a 512kbps connection and my usual download speed is around 52 KB/sec, but if I get a download speed above 10KB/sec on Kazaa I'm thrilled. I won't get in above my head by trying to explain why cos I haven't got a clue, but BRL is right in that you have to be choosy about which copy of a track to choose.

I find choosing the highest bandwidth doesn't always work, but it's a start. If after clicking download, the "connecting" signal stays on for ten seconds or more I find it's usually a dud, and I cancel it and try another one. Likewise if I get a connection but it's only 2KB/sec or so download speed, cancel it and find another one. It can take a while to find a reasonable speed sometimes, but it's a lot quicker than waiting for an hour for a song to download. I use 5KB/sec as a bare minimum unless there are only a couple of copies of the track I'm looking for.

:ok:

My names Turkish
20th Jul 2003, 04:53
Also recently started using KaZaa lite. Its a wonderfull resource for a cash strapped student such as myself. But I am a bit worried that it could lead to trouble in more ways than one. I read in one of the Miami newspapers that the action group formed by the recors industry has been filing up to a hundred lawsuits a day for the past three weeks. They were originally only targeting the "Big Fish" but now they are saying it will be anyone with 5 or more songs... So thats something to consider.

The other point to make, as the right honourable gentleman pointed out is virus's (Viri ?) I would say about one in thirty downloads have them, so keep your Anti Virus software up to date.

Whooaahh
22nd Jul 2003, 18:29
Come on chaps, this is not rocket science.

Kazaa (lite) is a peer-to-peer network enabling application and limited by the slowest part of the connection between the two peers.

If you have Broadband at 512K and the other user you are connected to only has 56k dial-up then the fastest download speed possible will be 56k. Factor in say another 10 users all trying to simultaneously download from the same 56k user and you are down to 5K maximum throughput....and thats if you are lucky.

The problem with Kazaa, from what I remember, is it doesn't indicate the other users conection speed so it's a bit hit or miss what throughput speed you're going to get on any given file download.

You need to start identifying the users with broadband, cable modem's or at least ISDN connections then use them almost exclusively.

Whooaahh!!!