PDA

View Full Version : Atkins & Class 1 Medicals

iak001
17th Jul 2003, 20:51
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help. I'm upgrading my class 2 medical to class one on June 28. Three days before the event, I will have finished the Induction Phase of the Atkins diet.

I know that the Atkins diet messes around with blook sugar levels (although they are supposed to become more stable throughout the induction period) but can anyone please tell me whether it might have a tangible impact on any of the relevant tests that will be carried out during the medical.

Any thoughts, suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers,

cyan
26th Jul 2003, 08:20
The Atkins diet works by producing a state of Ketosis which means the body is metabolising fat instead of glucose or glycogen as its source of energy. This shows up on urine testing as positive for KETONES... Ketones are also excreted in the breath which is the source of the slightly sweet ( peardrops ) breath some people notice on this diet.

For the purpose of a class 1 medical the presence of ketones alone on urine testing should not be a cause for concern...

Ketones observed on urine testing may also be associated with excess alcohol consumption ( hungover!! ) periods of fasting/starvation or following excessive vomiting...

Ketones AND a high glucose ( sugar) in the urine is very significant and may indicate diabetes...

If you are otherwise fit and well I dont think this should present a problem...

C