PDA

View Full Version : Private flying in South Korea??

AeroBatfink
17th Jul 2003, 07:46
Hi - haven't been on pprune for a while, so apologies for the out-of-the-blue enquiry.

Anyway, I've been offered a job (not connected to aviation, alas!) in the Republic of Korea (or South Korea, if you prefer...) and I want to continue my private flying if possible. I have an ICAO PPL from South Africa, incidentally, but I have been flying on that in the UK without an problems.

I'd be really grateful if anyone can offer some advice on whether I can fly in Korea, about the rules that might apply to this case, and if there are any flying schools/aircraft hire centres you could recommend.

Many thanks in advance!

J

Lasiorhinus
17th Jul 2003, 14:59
I'm trying at the moment to find the answer to the same question in Japan.. not easy to find anyone on the net willing to hire aircraft..
Also do you know what the regs are for logging time in foreign registered aircraft in our home country logbooks?

airbus172
21st Jul 2003, 12:29
there is a place in the southern part of korea near busan. its run by the us airforce but others are more than welcome. they have C172's and others that I don't remember. you can actually do your faa licences there. i don't remember the number, sorry.

AeroBatfink
22nd Jul 2003, 10:24
Thanks airbus172 - I'll have a look for that place and get my contact in Korea to get some more info.

I do already have a PPL, by the way, but it's not an FAA one - will I need to convert it to FAA to use it in Korea? I was under the impression that they are an ICAO country, and as such, I could use my ICAO licence there...

Thanks again!

PA-28-180
23rd Jul 2003, 12:34
Not sure if this is worldwide or just here in the Philippines. If I fly an "N" registered aircraft, then my FAA ticket is fine. If its an "RP" registered aircraft, then I need to convert. Might be the same with the air force flying club in S. Korea. I know that there are flying clubs here started and run by expats that imported "N" registered for their use. Good Luck with the new job!

airbus172
23rd Jul 2003, 14:23
the faa apparently doesn't care whether you have an faa licence so long as south korea doesn't object. when I spoke with the guys that ran the flight school, they were very easy going and had no problem letting a canadian licenced pilot fly their airplanes. Getting an faa PPL is just a matter of paying $10 if you already have one from another state. the cities name starts with an N and its just north of Busan. I no longer have the numbers. there is also the Hanguk Aviation University in Seoul. they wont let you fly their airplanes but they are very helpful and super nice, stop by. they do have a website(some in english)

You will love korea. I miss it all the time

AeroBatfink
25th Jul 2003, 04:25
Cherokee and Airbus - thanks for all the tips! I'm just glad I won't have to give up flying if I move to Korea.

Assuming, of course, I get any time off for flying!!

Thanks!