PDA

View Full Version : Eye sight (once more)

Shamow
17th Jul 2003, 05:41
I was prescribed classes about 4 years ago and am going back for an eye test in a couple of weeks - once work has calmed down. All this is with a view to me going for an initial class 1 medical so I'll be asking the optician to compare my eyesight to class1 requirements.
However I just thought I would ask if anyone is able to interpret an optician's prescription. When I went 4 years ago I got:
Left:
Sph (Looks like an alpha symbol)
Cyl -075
Axis 170

Right:
Sph +025
Cyl -025
Axis 170

I may be slightly off as the hand writing on the prescription isn't great. I think my eyesight has got slightly worse in the left eye due to sitting in front of a PC for approx 7hrs a day with hardly any break but not that much worse. When I have time off work and I am away from the PC my eye does feel better.
Anyone any idea on what the above means - in English?
Thanks everyone.

Rod Eddington
17th Jul 2003, 17:35
unless your sight has got much much much worse then you be ok for the class 1. the sph bit refers to myopia which is the eye muscles inability to focus properly (or something like that). the cyl bit refers to astigmatism which is the inability to focus due to a misshapen eyeball (rugby ball like rather than football like). Class 1 regs say that the total of both (absolute value) cannot exceed 5.00 of which no more than 2.00 can be astigmatism. so you're fine. The axis bit (as far as i understand it) is more like a compass bearing - it gives the plane on which the curvature of the lens needs to be (from 0 to 180) and therefore has no effect on your fitness for a class 1.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Rod:ok:

Shamow
17th Jul 2003, 18:11
Thanks Rod - I know the class one is about more than just eyesight but I just wanted to check it out.
Ta.

VFR800
17th Jul 2003, 23:09
Sorry to sound like a dimwit, but I take it the -5/+5 limit is each eye, how firm are the CAA on the 2 dioptics for stigmatism, is there any leeway at all on this issue?

The reason I ask is mine is:

Right

Sph +1.50 Cyl -2.25 :ugh: Axis 92

Left

Sph +0.50 Cyl -1.00 Axis 72

If the CAA/JAA are likely to take the view on the initial that I'm unlikely to pass, is this OK for an FAA medical? I understand I could then get an 'extended' renewal for a JAA Class 1?

Your help on this matter would be bl@*dy marvellous! :cool:

Rod Eddington
18th Jul 2003, 02:33
VFR800 - not sure about the possibility of leeway on the astigmatism. another requirement is that there's an an imbalance of less than 2.00 as well. Might be worth ringing the CAA med dept and having a word, they seem like pretty helpful people.

Here's the number:

01293 573700

As for the FAA medical, i've no idea i'm afraid although i think their eyesight reqs are less stringent than ours. probably best to check out their website.

cheers,
Rod:ok:

VFR800
19th Jul 2003, 20:04
Rod,

Many thanks for that m8, I'll give them a bell, my optician seems to think that the .25 is only just over. I was thinking of giving the AME who did my Class 2 a call as well.

However, I must get 'em rechecked 1st ! :cool: