PDA

View Full Version : easyJet to close bases

Crappy_Modem
17th Jul 2003, 05:09
Hot rumour, with no denials as yet...retrenchment to London....EMA/BRS/NCL to close

Wing Commander Fowler
17th Jul 2003, 05:33
Paddington or Euston.......? :8

Oh silly me...... as my worldly wise girlfriend just reminded me that does leave London Belfast, London Edinburgh and London Liverpool..... Sorry chaps!!

:\\

marlowe
17th Jul 2003, 06:34
How come Easy are advertising for cabin crew in the local evening
newspaper in BRISTOL???????

GrahamK
17th Jul 2003, 06:41
Sorry, but sounds like a load of :mad: crap to me

Mr A Tis
17th Jul 2003, 07:34
Hmm, I do sometimes think EZY has lost the plot, well in the NW at least. Without exception, I have always found far cheaper fares out of MAN with BAW or IBE full frills service. Once again I could go EZY for £155 to BCN or IBE for £99 - no competition, and now with BMI Baby it's even easier to avoid LPL. I'd love to fly EZY but I find they are so expensive. Sure there are loadsa deals ex Luton very cheap but they never filter to LPL.

moggie
17th Jul 2003, 16:21
I have found lately that using ebookers or opodo to book flights with scheduled carries (usually BA or Iberia) has been cheaper overall than dealing with the so-called "low cost" players.

Plus, when one flight is delayed, as happened to me on tuesday, they make sure that you get a connecting flight rather than just telling you to sod off and take care of yourselves!

G-ALAN
17th Jul 2003, 18:51
What the hell is all this with EZY prices!
GLW-STN/LTN £180, £170, £150 return, It's cheaper to fly with BA! :*

I've flown with EZY once and even then it was £90 return, they are not a low cost airline at all, they're just an airline full stop! :*

Final 3 Greens
17th Jul 2003, 19:35
As I've said on other threads, it's difficult to understand easyJet's market positioning at the moment.

Seemingly mid or high market prices in many cases and LCA service.

MerchantVenturer
17th Jul 2003, 20:36
I am 'just a passenger', as the PPRuNe survey pigeon-holes us so I know my place; neither have I ever worked in the aviation industry.

However, I do wonder what a hot rumour is. Who is telling whom? Is the rumour being spread amongst airline professionals, travel writers, city people or within the airline? The airline has apparently not denied it. Has the rumour been put to them for comment? If so, by whom? And if they did deny it would not that in a sense fuel the flames - like the football chairman having every confidence in his manager then sacking him the next day?

On another forum within PPRuNe a number of Welsh supporters quite understandably are becoming annoyed at what they see as unwarranted sniping at Welsh aviation in general and at certain airlines and airports within the Principality in particular.

Well, if BRS was in Wales and it is pretty close, I think their dudgeon would be in overdrive by now.

Within the last three months I have read 'strong rumours' in PPRuNe that BA Citiexpress is to close its BRS base, that there is a massive capacity cut in MYT charters out of BRS this summer including the removal of one based aircraft, and now this.

The MYT nonsense was easily disproved because it has not happened and we are well into the summer period. Flights are continuing and the two based aircraft are in place. What did happen was that in May one of the aircraft was not available and its flights that month were undertaken by a number of other, mainly foreign-based airlines.

When the BA Citiexpress rumour surfaced I asked the main spreader within these forums for further information but he/she has never replied. I imagine it was based on an assumption that because BA had closed several bases and BRS is one of the few remaining, it might be on a hit list.

And now this easyJet thing. The thread originator has not amplified his post, therefore a 'punter' such as me can have no way of measuring the worth of his ‘information’. I note that his profile describes him as a 737 pilot. Is he an easyJet pilot? If so, one might wonder if there is some substance. But then I don’t know how often ‘hot rumours’ run through airlines and how often they turn out to be true.

As for U2s prices I have flown BRS-GLA-BRS and BRS-EDI-BRS in the last few months, both times at £25 all in. I am flying BRS-NCL-BRS in September for £15 all in (booked at a time that easy was paying the UK tax) – that is if these bases are still in existence by then!

During the past couple of days I have found BRS-EDI-BRS available at £35.98 on many dates in the autumn, and ‘return flights’ BRS to such places as Prague, the Spanish Costas and Majorca at under £100 all in (about half that for Prague on some dates I looked at). My experience with easyJet is that if you can book well in advance and can be flexible with dates there are some tremendous bargains to be had.

Wee Weasley Welshman
17th Jul 2003, 20:55
Well they've just started refitting the BRS crewroom with shiny new kit and new furniture has been spotted arriving. In the RAF this is nearly always a sign that the base is about to close... ;)

Q. You have squillions of new Airbi arriving by the squadron load in the next couple of years. Do you:

a) Close down loads of regional bases so you can keep a fleet of over 150 aircraft solely in the South East?

b) Keep all the profitable bases you have and frantically try to open loads of new ones just to have somewhere to park the said 150+ airframes?

Lucky Strike
17th Jul 2003, 22:26
A) You slowly but surely cease to become a low cost operator as your overheads begin to match the full service boys - BA in particular. Then you start losing money, then you go bust or David James comes and runs you and sells you for a fiver to BA, who ditch the routes they don't want and put the ticket prices up again

Spartacan
17th Jul 2003, 23:50
bat.man, that is one of the best, short, posts I have read on Pprune.

Spot on.

PAXboy
17th Jul 2003, 23:51
bat.man: Very neat, I admire your style.

MerchantVenturer: "I imagine it was based on an assumption that because BA had closed several bases and BRS is one of the few remaining, it might be on a hit list."

I am more cynical than that. I imagine that one of the possible causes is folks who wish to see the share price move. I stress that this is simply movement of the price, for it does not matter if it is going up or down, to those that are trading shares, simple movement is where they make their money.

There will, of course, be other reasons behind such rumours but this is a prime candidate.

MerchantVenturer
18th Jul 2003, 05:18
WWW,

I was hoping that someone with an intimate knowledge of easyJet would post. I saw this thread just after it was started last night but let it run in the hope that the easyJet camp on this forum would issue a rebuttal. However, the subsequent posts seemed to relate mainly to easyJet’s fare structure and the fact that full service airlines could be cheaper.

I checked financial sites relating to easyJet plc but could find no mention of this ‘rumour’.

The thread starter has not returned to add to or discuss his/her original story which may be significant, or he/she may be away form a computer or is simply a sh*t stirrer with reasons known only to himself/herself.

PAXboy

I have lost quite a few quid over the past three years (mainly on paper at present but with no real hope of significant recoup), thanks largely to short sellers, although I do not buy airline shares.

I guess a rumour such as this could move easyJet’s shares if it gained ground.

As for BACx and BRS, would the closure, mooted or otherwise, of the BRS base move BA shares? After all, it is only a very small part of BA isn’t it?

Mad Max
18th Jul 2003, 06:16
Doh! This is simply a crappy rumour by Crappy Modem without so much as a grain of truth.

Our main problem is not "redundancies, down sizing and retrenchment" it is quite simply how do we keep the high quality of selection to meet the expansion as it happens.

We are continuing to expand all three of these bases (to my certain knowledge) and therefore Crappy Modem seems to know as much as his callsign suggests.

A non-story if ever there was one.

Cheerio! Maxy. :D :D :D

unwiseowl
18th Jul 2003, 06:22
The regions will be served by "W" patterns, crew positioning from LGW/STN/LTN. No denial from Easyland so far.

Fatter Cat
18th Jul 2003, 06:36
No, Merchant Venturer, these rumours are not new, they have been circulating aroung the internal easyjet sysstem for many weeks. I doubt that it is hardly news that the easyboard want to reach the City, so hence nothing for you to find.

If it is true, and only if, it will prove what an expensive folly it was to purchase Go, only to be left with a collection of elderly 737's and no crews or bases.

bateman
18th Jul 2003, 18:49
There are a few signs Ive noticed in aviation, that indicate when the financial outlook for a company turns negative..

1. The guys in the know (ie... owners and management), start to bail out.
2. Pilots start having to supplement the short term cash requirements of the airline (ie... upfront training costs).

In the end run, the last thing you want to be when an airline goes under is an 'unsecured creditor'.

If there is anyone in the know at easyjet who can set me straight about the facts, then please do.

kriskross
18th Jul 2003, 19:35
unwiseowl, I think you may have had your denial from easyland and not recognised it, however when Companies deny, it doesn't necessarily mean they wont change their minds!!!

Anti-ice
18th Jul 2003, 23:52
Is LGW next then ? Or does the London bit help? :D

God knows how they can call Stansted London , flew into there recently and had an apalling ride for 1hr 45 with Nat Express after.never again.

BA seem to be cheaper every time now - and on time!

Buster the Bear
19th Jul 2003, 02:48
The first UK base for the 319's will be Gatwick starting from spring 2004, with 11 to be based by summer.

redfield
19th Jul 2003, 04:44
No truth in these rumours at all. As has been said, you don't order a new fleet of a/c and then close down half the bases. BRS flights rarely depart with less than 100-120 pax on board. The EDI and GLA routes are particularly busy at the minute, BACX flights from the Scottish destinations frequently carry maybe 10 or 15 pax compared to EZY's 120 or so. There's probably more truth in the "BACX to close BRS" than the "EZY to close BRS" rumour. Easy's BRS-NCL route starts on August 1st, there's some talk of new BRS routes to MAD, MUC and GVA (with a GVA based a/c) this winter and they just signed up with the BRS handling agent for the next two years. BUT Easy do seem to have problems with Ops and Crewing which may well count against them in the future. As far as the fares are concerned, some full-frills carriers are catching on but I've never had any trouble getting a cheap seat. EDI for £28 return, PRG £58 and NCL £25. Whoever started this rumour: who or what is your source?????

Brakes to Park
19th Jul 2003, 04:55
Do yourself a favour pal and change your username to Crappy Poster. Your profile says you are a pilot. Heaven help us all.

no sig
19th Jul 2003, 18:54
Bateman

Let the annual financial audited report on easyJet plc tell you the facts, you won't find them here for sure.

Managers leaving after a major merger is not surprising and what airline wants to pay for pilot training if the market can supply rated crews already, that in itself is a good sign from a fiscal perspective.

LordLucan
23rd Jul 2003, 21:22
:rolleyes:

I think "Im in the know" and I am not aware of any plans for EZY base closures, wishful thinking from the competition maybe !
:ok:

Anthony Carn
23rd Jul 2003, 22:49
I'm beginning to wonder how one is supposed to form an accurate picture of the Easyjet, in fact the whole low-cost airline, state of play.

Easy closing bases ? Easy increasing winter services at EMA ? bmi Baby reducing services from EMA ? Baby moving some 737's to Prestwick ? Cardiff going great guns ? Cardiff going down the tubes ? Easy going bust ? Etc etc etc ad infinitum !

Rumours 180 degrees apart !

For goodness sake, if you don't have hard, accurate facts, then don't post ! Bouncing rumours and inaccuracies around makes the whole forum pointless and worries some of us to death (unless "spoiling" is your purpose, of course).

I've, today, trawled around PPRuNe trying to form an accurate picture and confusion plus this post of protest are the only result !

:mad:

HackneyedHarry
23rd Jul 2003, 23:08
AC,

It's an easy answer. If the top brass in all the airlines you mention have got no idea what they are doing from one day to the next, how are we going to know?

In trim
24th Jul 2003, 01:32
The easyJet routes from the regional airports generally have far better yields than the London operations.

easyJet have 120 shiny new buses on the way.

Would you conduct a wholesale withdrawal from the regions?

Didn't think so!

chequesplease
24th Jul 2003, 04:53
Anthony Carn....... "if you don't have hard facts don't post"........let me remind you this is PPRUNE the Rumour network, with so many posts I thought you of all people would now that facts only get in the way!!!:cool:

no sig
24th Jul 2003, 06:06
Of topic I know but, I agree with you Anthony Carn. Problem is Chequesplease, many seem to forget that fact and what is read on these pages is often taken as the truth without considering the possibility that it falls into the 'red notice' category at the bottom of the page.

I have never underestimated the power of PPRUNE to influence and I can tell you that direct quotes off these pages have been wide reaching in the industry and the City, and this is known by the more malicious posters.

However, on this particular subject, Mad max and In trim will give you an accurate account of things.

Rocket Ron
24th Jul 2003, 15:42
... as viewed through their rose tinted spectacles... :O

juicer
24th Jul 2003, 18:42
NO SIG......

heres a posting of truth, WE WANT YOU BACK!

Landing_24R
25th Jul 2003, 00:15
Veering off topic I know, but easyJet are to start London Stansted to Amsterdam from the end of October.

source: easyJet.com

HackneyedHarry
25th Jul 2003, 02:07
No Sig,

I really don't believe that any analyst in the city reads these threads and likewise I don't believe that anybody is posting threads to effect the share price. I still have all my share options and I am as worried as you about the share price. Probably five times less worried than you but still worried!

I used to be a broker in the city and hence still have many friends and family who still do work in the city and I can assure you no analyst, market maker or broker would ever be influenced by what's on this site. I can just imagine the early morning briefing given by the aviation analyst to the brokers.....' I've decided to downgrade EJ to a sell because I've been reading some disturbing posts on the pilot rumour network thingy websit,' I don't think so. At least it would give the office staff a good laugh! Having said that I'll tell my friends in the city, if they ask me, how I think EJ is being managed and of course I will stress that it is a limited view as I only see it from a line Captains perspective and have no access to any financial data etc.

You are right in that posts on this forum may well influence the pilot community but maybe that is why this site was set up in the first place.

As for Mad Max and In Trim giving good gen re EJ ..... well they would as they're management and if any incompetence should come to light than they would have much to lose.

An over zealous IPO has resulted in an over worked and frustrated work force. It's as simple as that.

In the end of the day no pilots or anybody from the city are really going to base any major life changing or financial decisions on what is said on this site. I think you underestimate both the city and the pilot community.

terrier21
6th Aug 2005, 01:01
Looking at the Bases rumoured to close now BRS - 23 destinations, EMA - 9 destinations and NCL 15 destinations!!!

Norman Stanley Fletcher
6th Aug 2005, 02:55
This is a pathetic, malicious thread with zero inside knowlege based on absolutely no facts whatsoever. As far as I can tell these supposed rumours are only rumours inside the originator's head!

Ranger 1
6th Aug 2005, 03:38
What a load of :mad:

outofsynch
6th Aug 2005, 04:34
Look at the dates guys....!
This thread is as old as..?
Terrier was just proving what cr@p it is.

Amazing what some saddo will say on here, just coz theyre pi$$ed off,