PDA

View Full Version : The new Virgin Atlantic Upper Class Suite

The_Banking_Scot
17th Jul 2003, 03:24
Hi,

Just announced by VS today;

http://www.upperclasssuite.com

Timetable;

SFO/JFK over the summer ( selected flights)

LHR fleet by Spring 2004

LGW fleet by autumn 2004

Looks fantastic and look forward to a trip in UC ( New Year or next summer)

:D

Regards

TBS

Globaliser
17th Jul 2003, 18:28
I wonder if this is the right place to ask a slightly geeky question from the PoV of a pax.

These seats are much more significantly angled to the direction of travel than the BA First cabins. What would happen to the passenger in a heavy deceleration, eg on a runway overrun or more serious accident? I assume that this would be a certification issue and therefore have been dealt with satisfactorily, but from these pictures I can't for the life of me see how the passenger's upper body would get suitably restrained and the head throw/impact issue suitably resolved.

TONY21
18th Jul 2003, 06:34
Hi there

Reading through your comments about our new cabin is really positive.

I have been working on the new UC suite for the last year. I have been involved in extensive service trials both on the ground and in the air.

I can put your worries at rest to that all of these suites are fitted with basically what is an airbag that will inflate at a pre-determined torque should a rapid deceleration or impact occur.

They are fantastic seats with two seperate sides. One leather to sit on and the bed (at a touch of a button) will flip to reveal a breathable fabric thus creating a fully flat bed with a MINIMUM of 6ft 7 1/2 inches.

Just to add that the CAA would NOT certify the seat to fly on a commercial aircraft if it did not meet the strict requirements that are laid out for cabin interiors.

Hope this helps

The_Banking_Scot
19th Jul 2003, 03:17
Hi ,

Thanks very much for the details TONY21.

I hope ( and it is probably highly unlikely) that the airbags would never need to be used( although it might be a sight to see the airbags deploy with no injuries of course).
I have flown Upper class a number of times ( enough to get VS FC Gold which is a great benefit)
It is great to see the LGW aircraft being equipped( I assume with bar and beauty therapist also?) . I like flying to LAS/MCO and while the Upper class service is excellent, the Recaro seats on the LGW aircraft are not quite as good as the J2000 on the LHR.
fleet.

Having used up most of my holidays for this year I will have to wait until the new year or April next year to try the new suites ( I can hardly wait as they look fantastic)

Regards
TBS

PAXboy
19th Jul 2003, 07:42
TONY21, thanks for that information. I think that ought to be included in the (very) Flash website. Why? Because your critics may not ask the question in a place where you can so easily answer them. If you have extra saftey features TELL US, I think that is a big selling point.

Overall, it looks fab and I shall look forward to my first ride, although nothing in the schedule at the moment. My next flight of fancy is BA0001 in three weeks time. :ok:

Globaliser
19th Jul 2003, 09:41
Thanks, TONY21. It makes sense, and I didn't imagine for a minute that the CAA would have allowed an unsafe seat to fly.

I do look forward to seeing or hearing about the cabin safety demonstration, though. "In the event of an emergency landing, stay exactly as reclined as you are at the moment. Make sure your seat belt is fastened. Be prepared for a loud bang next to your seat." :D

The_Banking_Scot
20th Jul 2003, 02:34
Hi,

Can I ask ( it does not appear too obvious on the site) how much of a recline does the ordinary seat have ie if you want to relax but not convert it into a bed how far back does the seat go?

Thanks for any answers.

Regards

TBS

mr.777
20th Jul 2003, 17:38
I don't think the Recaro seats are that bad...very much like the old pre-J2000 ones.I think they're more comfrotable for lounging around on daylight flights,although I much prefer the J2000 for sleeping in.
I think the whole Upper Class experience out of LGW comes a poor second to LHR,which is a shame.It's the little things like no on-board bar/beauty therapist that make a difference.If you've paid a lot of money to fly Upper Class ex LGW,when you find that these things are missing,it must be pretty gutting!Obviously the Suite will p*** all over J2000....look forward to flying in it.....off to Antigua in the Recaros a week on Saturday:O