PDA

View Full Version : Question about Aerolineas Argentinas

Taildragger67
16th Jul 2003, 15:10
Hi all

I am planning a trip to South America next year and the best fare by far, is on AR.

I've not experienced them before and would appreciate some pointers, both in terms of safety/reliability and service (Y class).

I think the eqpt will be 742 (MAD-EZE) and MD80 domestically.

Many thanks
TD67

Boy_From_Brazil
17th Jul 2003, 02:29
T67

I haven't flown long-haul with them, only between Rio and Buenos Aires a few times. The aircraft seem in pretty good condition. The service, as always, depends on the cabin crew varying between acceptable to mediocre.

I understand that the quality has reduced because of Argentinas economic problems. In my experience, reliability seems good.

I have flown with a lot worse airlines.

A word of warning - make sure you have enough cash on you to pay the airport taxes on the way out - circa US$25 each.

FlyingRabbit
17th Jul 2003, 04:40
Flew domestic with Aerolineas earlier this year, Buenos Aires to Ushuaia. Nice clean MD-88, 2-3 configuration, so if you're flying with one companion only make sure to reserve A-B seats, service acceptable. Had to pay US$18 on airport taxes on my way out.

FR

AJ
19th Jul 2003, 07:29
Have flown the MAD-EZE sector (April this year), should be a 747.

Much the same as everyone else really - planes are generally quite old but kept in good condition. Service just like with most other airlines - mostly reasonable, depends on CC though.

Internal flights are equally predictable. Small recommendation: if you're flying down to Ushuaia or El Calafate (latter to see the absolutely stunning glaciers), try and grab a window seat - weekday flights aren't usually full anyway.

I'm assuming you're not an Argentine citizen or resident, so you'll have to pay full-fare Y on internal routes - good news is its very flexible, standy permitted etc. etc.

Enjoy the country - fascinating & Bs As was great fun!

p.s. quite cheap too!

Hartington
20th Jul 2003, 19:53
Flew them November 2001 (just before the economic woes spilled onto the streets) Iguassu/BA and Salta/BA (used LAPA BA/Trelew/BA/Salta). Quite old 737s but no problems. Service not wonderful but acceptable. I don't know if catering has changed but every flight on both airlines we got a two compartment container with either one ham and one cheese sandwich or one sandwich and a packet of crisps.

One of the best vacations I've ever had.

Taildragger67
21st Jul 2003, 14:57
Chaps,

Many thanks for all your comments. In the end, purely on scheduling grounds, we're going long-haul with a European major & AR internally. Looking forward to it.

Rgds
TD67

FlyingRabbit
22nd Jul 2003, 06:31
Taildragger

in that case, you might want to give it enough time between your incoming flight and your domestic one. You are most likely arriving at the intl airport (EZE), but domestic AR flights usually leave from the Aeroparque (domestic airport). Depending on what time you arrive, this could take over an hour just to change airports.

FR

Taildragger67
22nd Jul 2003, 13:35
FR -

Sound advice - thanks.

We've got about 3 hours each way so hope that's enough!!

Cheers
TD67

Boss Raptor
26th Jul 2003, 02:34
I love Iberia via MAD , if you are going to S. America you can get a ticket via BA on the 'One World' alliance...in fact I understand they operate the 'One World' flights to Santiago and Lima.

If u are doing Venezuela, Dominican Republic or Cuba, Air Europa are great however I have never been easily able to get a cheap fare in the UK I've always had to buy it in Spain.