PDA

View Full Version : How do I know it's CAT III???

thrust_reverse
16th Jul 2003, 10:38
Hi everyone,

I was looking at some Jeppesen Approach-Charts the other day and kept wondering why there are no charts for CAT III-Approches. I mean even for Airports which definately have ILS's which can be flown under CAT III-Conditions. The only hint I found was the explanation in the botton-line of some CAT II Plates, which says that operators applying US Ops Specs, CAT III authorization is required below RVR 350m (Which does not really answer my question).

Perhaps I just missed that particular information in the introduction, where it is described how these Approaches are marked...

Is there anybody out there, who can help me ?

Your help very much appreciated.

Best regards

thrust reverse

thrust_reverse
16th Jul 2003, 13:26
Forget it. Have just found the info I was looking for.

thrust_reverse
7th Sep 2003, 09:23
It's me again :-)

Almost same topic:
Is there a database or something similar, where I can look up the operating minimums in regard of precision approach category for several airports in europe?

The informations provided by Jeppesen Chart 10-9 or 10-9A is not precise enough. I need to know exactly which runways can be operated under CAT IIIa- and which under CAT IIIb-conditions.

Hope someone can help me with this one.

Best regards

thrust-reverse

no sig
8th Sep 2003, 00:36
Thrust-Reverse

If you're in the UK your AOC contains your CATIII approval and blanket minima and your ops manual will specifiy your airport specific minima, in addition, you need the states approval to operate, normally easily obtained. Check their AIP if you know which countries you are flying to it will detail the ILS categories for each airport and OCL's etc. The state published minima for each runway and approach aid, as you know, will be on the Jepps, however, your Company will speciify your DA/DH/RVR's for each approch in your Ops manual. I can't think of a short cut to find each CAT III runway in Europe, but their AIP would be a good place to start.

thrust_reverse
9th Sep 2003, 06:46
Hello no sig,

first of all, many thanks for your reply.

Maybe my question was a bit misleading (or how do you say? misformulated?). I'm sorry, my english isn't that great.

The problem I'm facing is that the Jepp Charts most of the time only say: "This one is CAT III approved and if you want to go there under CAT III-conditions, you need a crew and a plane which is certified for CAT III."

But if you want to know it more precise, lets say you need to know up to which CAT-conditions you can approach a certain rwy at ATH/LGAV (II, IIIa or IIIb), the Jeppesen Charts leave you pretty much in the dark.

Since I only have the AIP for germany and my company wont spend the money for the AIPs of 10 other countries, I was thinking that there may be a web-site which provides these info's.

Do you have access to the AIPs of Italy, Greece, Spain and Turkey and could you look up a couple of airports for me?

The one's I still need are: LGAV, LGTS, LIRF, LEBL, LTBA, LTBJ and LTFJ.

Would be great if you, or someone else could help. :-)

no sig
9th Sep 2003, 20:04
Sorry TR, I don't but your country's Central NOTAM office probably does, in the UK you can call and they will look it up for you.

However, I guess maybe I'm missing something here. If the runway is CATII/III approved and you have the states approval to operate to CAT II/III in their country, and if your AOC, aircraft and crews are all qualified then you you need only to revert to your CATII/III minima adjusted for the particular runways DA/RVR.

The Jepps will advise if the runway of CATII/III equipped. On the day, your crew will operate to the applicable minima considering the weather, all the Low Vis procedures requirements both crew, airborne and on the ground.

If you haven't already, I'd look up you ops manual section on approach minima (Part A or perhaps B) and read through your airlines requirements.

Good Luck with it.