PDA

View Full Version : "Read test element failed"

BMM389EC
16th Jul 2003, 01:35
Compaq Armada Presario 2107AP

Running Windows XP. When I go to the Help and Support page, going to "Verify and improve performance of your hard drive" When I run a hard drive diagnostic it comes up with " Read test element failed"

Anyone have any idea what exactly this means in english?

fobotcso
16th Jul 2003, 03:51
I can understand the English OK. It meas that a test routine failed to read something that it had written. Not rocket science, I feel.

But I can't find your "Verify and improve the performance of ...." in my XP Pro Help and Support or my Microsoft Technet library.

Are you sure that this is a proper Windows function? I get lots of e-mails telling me how to improve my performance.... But it's too late for me I'm afraid.

Either you're being "had" or it's time to replace the HDD before it implodes and destroys the rest of the equipment and the world as you know it. :cool:

Edit after a bit of a search: This is not a Windows XP function at all. It is a Compaq Presario test sequence and the full details of your problem are here (http://www.compaq.com/athome/support/msgs/5700/diagec2.html) Read down slowly and carefully. At best you need new data cables and at worst..... See remarks above.