PDA

View Full Version : Virginia Airshow

Sir Cumference
15th Jul 2003, 22:00
Report back on the virginia Airshow this last weekend. Once again a great airshow! Fantastic weather and excellent flying displays.

SAAF had Cheetah, Rooivalk, CASA 212 (Punda driver!), BK's Oryx et al. SAA were lacking, apparently there was some damage to be paid for during the last flypast (747) in Pietersberg and so for the moment they are reluctant to go that route again. A flypast in a very smart A340 was agreat surprise. It was supposed to be in Maputo but parking meant the crew had to look elsewhere. Durban was the answer, Virginia en route!

No where in the world do the crowd get closer to the active runway and spend the day looking down-sun. Sea level keeps the pilots happy with a bonus of the best line feature in the world, a straight beach with plenty of safety options.

Furthermore it has become a meeting place of aviators from all over the world who travel 'home' for a party. Sadly the one drawback is the lack of crowd space and the questionable future for Virginia given the stupid idea to build King Shaka Airport. In the mean time, if you are from SA and have not been, it is a great party, Gunnnnsss they even served Tassssies!!!!

4HolerPoler
16th Jul 2003, 03:47
Sad that I couldn't spend the whole day at the show - the weather was meant to be duff but it turned out to be beautiful. Glad that it turned out to be such a successful show and without any incidents. Great place, as you say Sir Cumference, to catch up with old mates for a beer. Sorry we couldn't stay longer. Much fun was had by all.

4HP

Gunship
18th Jul 2003, 14:13
Heard via the Grapevine that the A 340 's "show" was great ... just wonder who these oke's where ... :E

Cheers to the man and his co-jock :ok:

Sir Cumference
18th Jul 2003, 18:21
Gunnss you should look at visiting your KZN family next year this time and visit the rest of us at the Airshow. Great place for meetingup with old buddies. Quite a few guys from 1/80 there. Sharpie, Dave D, Duncan G, Pete V, etc We missed you!

Deanw
18th Jul 2003, 18:42
From the SAAF News group (of all places!):

'The aircraft in question was Airbus A340- 213 HZ-WBT4 (c/n 151) registered to "Kingdom Establishment" of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. The aircraft is privately owned and operated on behalf of the United Saudi Comemrcial Bank (should also carry these titles...). The owner aslo has his own B767-300ER HZ-WBT3.

The aircraft was used to fly Coln. Ghadaffi to and from the AU summit in Maputo last week. It spent some time in Johannesburg under heavy guard before departing for Durban/Maputo.

I was told it was piloted by two South Africans! '

Sir Cumference
18th Jul 2003, 19:03
It certainly was a coup for the airshow organisers given the fact that it is not every day that such an aircraft is in the area and the crew are prepared to give up the time to do the pass. This was a safe and well conducted display and really gave the money paying public a look at something different. Amazing where the South Africans end up!

clipboard
18th Jul 2003, 23:40
:ok:

Well done Gepetto.

GB sends his regards.

4HolerPoler
20th Jul 2003, 05:40
Had time to have a quick chat with GB on the night before. Pity it was such a rush - would have been good to shoot the breeze. I've still got a big smile on my dial about being there - destiny is a strange beast. If there's any advice that I can pass on as a result of my experience it's go for it; if you have a brain-fart and come up with this great idea and have the ability to engineer your great idea then just do it; it would be terrible to get old and have lots of "what ifs" and no fond memories.

4HP (aka Gepetto)

Gunship
28th Jul 2003, 14:17
:{ :{ :{

Gunnss you should look at visiting your KZN family next year this time and visit the rest of us at the Airshow. Great place for meetingup with old buddies. Quite a few guys from 1/80 there. Sharpie, Dave D, Duncan G, Pete V, etc We missed you!

:{ :{ :{ Ag e nee ... and I was nearly there ... my parents have just moved house and was down in the 'ol Hibber D ...

Skerpieeeeee
Parra Dave (at least have e-mail comms with him)
Gipetto and Pietertjie ... just wonder what those two where doing there and HOW they got there :E

Uhmmm 4HP when do I get my pics ...

Gunship
29th Jul 2003, 11:40
Gipetto and Pietertjie ... just wonder what those two where doing there and HOW they got there

Uhmmm 4HP when do I get my pics ...

Sjees 4Hp you are quick and efficient ;)

Many thanks for the pics - they are GREAT ! Enjoy that hectic schedule ! :ok: