PDA

View Full Version : Parkes International Freight Hub

Victa
15th Jul 2003, 11:50
Check it out at:

http://www.inlandmarketing.com.au/

The gist of the website is that they are proposing that Parkes Airport be modified to be able to cope with international freight aircraft eg. B747-400. Quite a ambiguous project, what are your opinions?

Travelling Toolbox
15th Jul 2003, 13:00
Uhhhh Victa don't you mean "ambitious" project?

This concept has been kicking around for some time.

TT :cool:

Victa
15th Jul 2003, 13:07
Haha, I'm sure the people behind this concept deserve better credit. Yes, it was suppose to read: "an ambitious" project. Had a little chuckle the second time I read that too. :D

Col. Walter E. Kurtz
15th Jul 2003, 14:04
Yeah, and there could be streams of Grand Caravans flocking in to feed these freighters - just like Memphis TN!!

That would be cool, wouldn't it!

RaTa
15th Jul 2003, 15:04
Sounds like it will cost big $$$$$$. There is nothing wrong with dreaming but I doubt it will happen!

Chocks Away
15th Jul 2003, 16:31
Parkes - very conveniently located but has a long way to go to catch up with Lindsey Foxs' Avalon.

Cold store already there and main guage train line said to be on the plans.:D

Buster Hyman
15th Jul 2003, 18:02
Ah yes, but who actually flies to Avalon? Sure, they use it for the GP charters, but the main freighter fleets that operate locally, will stay away. Must have some grand strategy that I can't think of...:confused:

Chocks Away
17th Jul 2003, 09:59
Polar Air Cargo did fly into Avalon, pre cold-store days.
Many still ducking into ML though given the "no curfew" and ground support there.
Parkes beautifully placed geographically between VIC and QLD produce areas.
Parents saw the end of a program on TV about all the building going on there, so it looks like it's a goer.:}

The plans at Avalon are still brewing. Fox and Co have submitted a plan to divert Werribee treated effluent, up to market gardens behind the You Yangs (spelling?). Main guage rail line comes into it there, with a siding into the cold stores at Avalon.

Giddey up.

Rostov
17th Jul 2003, 12:20
The first time I heard about this was in the mid nineties. I thought it had fallen in a heap.:ok: Good luck to them

pullock
17th Jul 2003, 13:06
Every small town wants to be a freight hub, and a jazz capital, be known for it's unique handicrafts and boutique markets, they all hope that the train line will come one day, and along with it wealth and prosperity for all...............

CoodaShooda
17th Jul 2003, 15:25
So you've been to Darwin, Pullock :ok:

dingo084
17th Jul 2003, 17:16
Like Rostov indicated, this 'project' has been floating around for many years. It's the same Inland Marketing Corp that wanted to buy the remains of KD & ZL a couple of years ago and go into the airline business.

ding

pullock
18th Jul 2003, 10:56
LOL, I sure have Coda, I was writing that with Darwin in mind!!

permFO
18th Jul 2003, 16:02
Parkes will be in strong competition with "Canberra International Airport" where the aviation wannabees have painted guidelines for 777's and 747's at either end of 35/17 thinking it could be a freight hub. Somebody should explain the concept of second segment to them.

SeldomFixit
18th Jul 2003, 19:15
Don't write this " idea " off. Yes, it has been around for a long time and the longer it is mooted the more likely it may well come to fruition ( no pun intended ). Asia is more than willing to pay top $ for fresh, quality produce, as is evidenced by some of the per kg prices paid to ship this type of commodity from the larger gateways. Rather than consigning this project to file 13, it may be smarter to see where your own operation could possibly fit into this plan. It will certainly be an interesting one to view with 20/20 hindsight over the next few years or so.

Chocks Away
7th Aug 2003, 14:56
Has anyone dropped into Parkes lately?:ooh: (or seen it flying over?)

Any progress and howzit looking?

non-geo
7th Aug 2003, 21:10
Hey permFO!,,,,,how about you explain the philosophy of "second segment". Do you know what your talking about.

Chocks Away
12th Dec 2003, 07:23
...any progress with this little puppy?:D

TIMMEEEE
12th Dec 2003, 16:57
This thing has been proposed and mentioned numerous times over the last 20 years or so.

The fact of the matter is that no politician or businessman has either the motivation of following through with it or deciding who will come up with the huge $$ required to upgrade the airport and terminal facilities.

Freighters carry not only primary produce to Asia and the world but also other things such as seafood as well as certain manufactured goods etc.

Chocks Away
13th Dec 2003, 05:58
Sorry, I may be wrong, as I haven't been there for years but I was under the impression that earth had already been turned on this one!? (ie. earthworks started)

Spodman
13th Dec 2003, 13:57
Parkes is situated on the Transcontinental Railway linking Sydney, Adelaide and Perth. This rail corridor provides 62 hour freight transit time to Perth, six day a week, faster and cheaper than any legal road operation. (my italics)

Which would make it slower and more expensive than the real road operations:} :}

Good on 'em, with the senseless "ambiguous" policy everybody seems to have with Mascot (Whinge, complain, restrict, curfew; but don't build anything else) This may be the new Sydney International. Stand-by for NIMBY action:yuk:

Chocks Away
29th Dec 2003, 16:29
...heard a whisper Shell has been recently approached to supply the big fuel farm there. :confused:

:}

apacau
30th Dec 2003, 03:53
PermFO - I think you'll find the 747 and 777 lines are for the VIP aircraft that do tend to land in Canberra every few months.

Chocks Away - are you referring to Parkes for this big fuel farm??

JTROUT
30th Dec 2003, 07:53
Hi All
Let us not forget the reason freighters fly to Australia.
Revenue is predominantly generated by higher valued inbound cargo as opposed to lower valued higher volume outbound cargo.
Freighters are not sustained by fruit and veg alone
Still out with the jury

halas
30th Dec 2003, 11:13
Markings at Canberra are there for those internationals holding it as an alternate to Sydney or Melbourne.

It comes with special taxi instructions as well.

Keep watching them as they will probably include 340 soon.

halas

Chocks Away
2nd Jan 2004, 07:23
Apacau: Yes, referring to Parkes...

Disco Stu
28th Jan 2004, 18:23
OOPS

Methinks this project is in a bit of trouble (according to the ABC news)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia/nsw/200401/s1033481.htm

Last Update: Wednesday, January 28, 2004. 8:12 PM (AEDT)
Drought blamed for development collapse

The drought is being blamed for the collapse of a major rural development project in New South Wales.

The Inland Marketing Corporation (IMC) was funded by the Federal Government and almost 50 regional councils to export agricultural products into Southeast Asia.

IMC head Alex Ferguson says a range of factors, including the drought, led to the corporation's demise.

"We didn't achieve the goals that we set out to achieve and therefore the business is closing," he said.

"There are, with justification on my side and others will make their own judgement, a lot of enduring parts of the IMC that will be around for a long time."

UNQUOTE