PDA

View Full Version : Obs Flight

Manky_Monarch
15th Jul 2003, 06:39
Hi i have my first obs flight soon and was wondering if anyone had any tips,im really nervous!
thanx

btw i work for Monarch if the name didnt give it away lol

Parry Hotter
15th Jul 2003, 14:47
What is an obs flight?

Are you being checked after completing training?

STARBUX
16th Jul 2003, 04:12
Hi,

For the uninformed, an Obs flight is when ur first checked out before going on line, alone. Monarch are extremely strict and will expect 110% effort during this paticularly nail biting experience! Sorry , didnt mean to scare u there! No , its not that bad.....but like I said they will require ur full co operation during the day.

Make sure ur attentive and knowledgeable during the briefing.....and be as proactive as possibe during the whole experience. I used to work for Monarch and can honestly say that , although they are strict, it certainly gives u the best grounding in the industry.......if u can work for Monarch and achieve their standards , then u can work for any airline. Good Luck!!!!

MANAGP
16th Jul 2003, 16:08
Manky_Monarch first things first RELAX :cool:

We (Monarch) do take OBs flights fairly seriously but it will normally be with a normal crew and no trainers! It's your chance to get to grips with everything but without being vital (i.e. you will be supernumarary and not part of the "legal" crew).

Be proactive, offer to help, and don't feel stupid or like a little lost lamb, it's natuaral to feel very out of place, esp when things are done differently to the classroom!

You (hopefully) will be offered a take off/landing or both from the flight deck jumpseat, make the most of the offer!

I'm guessing that you are going to EDI? If you want any more info drop me a line (privately) and I'll be happy to help.

Regards

MANAGP
16th Jul 2003, 18:57
Silly me, alcohol got the better of me! Lib is spot on, and as prev stated the key is to relax, and just do the best you can. And yes don't forget the toilet checks!

Right now I'm off to beat myself with a Birch branch for being dumb!

englishflyboy
17th Jul 2003, 18:15
Re: Obs Flight

Just thought id write a note re the above

I used to work for monarch and honestly agree with Starbux. They are very strict and sometimes anal about what they do, but I can honestly say that they do give you an excellent grounding for working for another airline and the sep and service training never leaves you, proberly cause its hammered into you! If you can work for monarch and do well, you can work for any other airline!

Obs flights are just as what have been said, most importantly relax and remember that yeah ok, they will watch you and many will form a first impression, it is also a chance for you to make a mistake, ask a stupid question or not know where the hell you are supposed to be or what you are supposed to be doing. get involved and offer to do a service of ask if you can check sep equip etc.

Good Luck and enjoy

:D

Whiskey Zulu
17th Jul 2003, 18:31
Obs flights are usually completed by an OBS purser or No.1. Most are OK. Just be yourself, smile a lot and revise your SEP beforehand. All CC were new once and the OBS P/No.1 will take that into account. The mechanics of the job you will learn in time. Whether you are suited to it 'personality' wise is another matter. That's down to whether you are a people person, a smiler, punctual, smart and bother to maintain a good working knowledge of SEP.

If you can do all of the above, you're a trained professional who will love the job for a long time. Monarch will prove a happy home for you.

If you're not, you end up being the 'trolley dolley' that joe public often associates with the profession.

The choice, as they say, is yours.

Good luck, but the title 'Manky' Monarch, I would say, isn't a good choice?

Manky_Monarch
23rd Jul 2003, 02:04
I personally like the name Manky Monarch, as its a private joke between me and one of my dearest friends. Names people pick on here do not reflect the person they are, or the qualities they have. I happen to think Monarch is a very professional company and in no way am i bad mouthing it.

Thanks for the info regarding my obs flight, i will let you all know how i get on