PDA

View Full Version : self drive positioning

yertis
14th Jul 2003, 21:55
could someone give a succinct briefing on the rules relating to self drive positioning by cabin crew, many thanks

Psr777
15th Jul 2003, 00:28
You should check your car insurance to see if even allows you to use the car for business purposes. Many crew have found it is not covered, and your passengers and yourself are not insured.

Most airlines now recognise this and should provide you with a hire car with business use insurance. If you are currently using your car to position to other bases for work, I strongly suggest you stop and get your HR department to look into it.

Regards:ok:

Edited for content 14/07/03

yertis
23rd Jul 2003, 16:02
Thanks for the reply, was looking more for the regs relating to self drive before and after flight duty. i.e the can do's and should nots.

longarm
23rd Jul 2003, 17:05
Your report time should be the time you leave one base for the other. For example if you are MAN based and operate a flight from BHX and are required to self position then your on duty time commences at the time you report at MAN to position to BHX. Your off duty time is when you get back to MAN or if you have post flight duties at MAN then after these have been completed. Having said this your flight duty limit is based on final chocks at BHX, after final chocks you can position for hours more but your minimum rest must reflect this period.

Hope this helps.

You splitter
25th Jul 2003, 20:44
1. Firstly most FTL sections of company manuals will specify that 'positioning' is moving crew by surface or air transport at the behest of the company. This means that the company are obliged to lay on transport for you. If it suits all parties for you to 'self position' then thats fine.

2. To clarify the point with regards to on-duty. Longarm is quite correct however there are some exceptions.
Assume you lived in MAN but were based in BHX. If your roster showed a 1300 report at BHX for transport to MAN arriving at 1500 and you left your home, self positioning at 1430 to report for 1500 at MAN, there is no reason why your report time can not be 1430 for FDP purposes. I would suggest for financial reason however that your duty pay is paid from 1300!!