PDA

View Full Version : Time Bars

R E Darse
14th Jul 2003, 03:31
Does anybody know of any Brit Mil pilots who have left before their time bar has expired??:confused:

Are time bars worth the paper they are written on if no longer employed in the filed of employment it was signed for??:confused:

Obs cop
14th Jul 2003, 07:35
I assume by "Time Bar" you mean the minimum service that forces pilots must serve.

It was some time ago, but if my memory serves me correctly, for Fleet Air Arm pilots it was 6 years one you had attained wings status.

3 pilots did leave my AFT rotary course in 1996, and boy the navy didn't like it. The key was the navy couldn't force them to fly, but could force them to do other thankless roles such as ops3 in one of the carriers. I think each had a pennance of about 9 months to a year before they got out to go to Oxford Air Training.

Hope this helps,

Obs cop

gijoe
14th Jul 2003, 21:42
The PC phrase is ROS - Return of Service.

There will be lots of stories of 'my mate did this etc' but the truth, in my experience, is quite a bit removed from the bar stories. If there are special circumstances to make someone leave then that is differrent but 'don't want to do it anymore' is a little harder for the mobs to swallow.

G:cool:

Obs cop
14th Jul 2003, 22:27
Gijoe,

Thanks for reminding me of the phraseology.

In truth there are always rumours and stories as to people trying to leave during their ROS period.

The 3 associates, I was on course with all achieved their aim of leaving before their ROS. However, it is safe to say they found it a very rough ride. They had chosen the right time as they had their wings but had not yet undertaken their Operational Flying Training. The result is that even as pilots, they were not a depolyable resourse and even the military will find it hard to force someone to pass a course.

The navy had their pound of flesh in using all 3 to fulfil the worst junior officer roles they could find, for as long as they could realistically get away with it.

The ROS is there to protect a huge commitment and investment made by the forces and whilst my associates were fortunate in being released from their ROS fairly quickly, I feel they were in the vast minority and were no doubt aided by their lack of front line skills.

Mind you, the Navy didn't take lightly to the idea of 60% of the AFT pilots course leaving. I would imagine they have devised even more cunning penalties since!!!!:E :E :E :E