PDA

View Full Version : Thyroxin & the class 1 medical

VMC
13th Jul 2003, 23:05
Does anyone out there know what the rules are regarding an under-active thyroid and the calss 1 medical? I have a medical at the moment and am ok on the present low-dose medication (Thyroxin), I was wondering if anyone knew of a max. allowed dosage.

Desk-pilot
14th Jul 2003, 00:01
VMC,

Nice to hear of a fellow Thyroid sufferer! I don't think the CAA mind what dose of Thyroxine you are on as long as you have your levels checked and the dosage adjusted by your GP to keep your levels in the normal range.

I currently take 175mcg Thyroxine and they don't seem bothered. The more difficult issue I have found is keeping my weight down - ever since I developed Hashomotos Thyroiditis I have had to battle fairly hard against weight and have gone from a BMI of 24 to a BMI of 30!

I'd be interested to know if you have found the same?

Best regards,

Desk-pilot (not a Doc, just a wannabe pilot)

ausdoc
14th Jul 2003, 07:02
Most authorities allow the use of thyroxine as long as the thyroid function is well stabilised on the medication.

Cheers,

ausdoc

VMC
15th Jul 2003, 15:50
Thanks for the replies, deskpilot & ausdoc. I am taking 125 mcg at the moment with regular checks and apparently no symptoms, well stabalised. At the moment I have no weight problems but I have a bad feeling I will in the future.

Cheers

3top
16th Jul 2003, 11:16
Hi folks,

same here. I am on 100 mcg daily, though a lot of times I forget about for a day or two.

My medical doc treats it as a "substitute" not as a medicine, as it does not battle any illness, but rather substitutes a dose your body is not able to produce.
Levels stay cool since 15 years with the same dose!

Good luck with the first class, should not be a problem!

Even if you do not take it for a longer period (1-2 weeks) it should cause no immediate trouble like lets say a diabetes case.

I guess that is why this kind of thyroid deficiency is treated with a lot of tolerance by the authorities. It is easy to control and not immediately threatening, if you run out of pills on a long trip....

3top
:cool: