PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew Wages

ozskipper
13th Jul 2003, 13:27
This could be a sensitive topic - or then again maybe not... If it is, I apologise in advance and mean it only in the spirit of communal sharing (sounds a wee bit dirty!).

There's a lot of talk of who has the better airline, conditions, benefits, opportunities etc.

So, I'm curious now.....

1. What sort of average weekly pay cheque do cabin crews take home? (including allowances etc for both long haul and short haul)

2. What benefits do you get with your airline (ID90 etc)?

3. What sort of career opportunities are available?

It might be interesting to have a comparison - I know a lot of this information is available on corporate websites, but I think it would be useful to get a realistic picture of what really happens all in one spot.

If its all a bit personal by all means ignore it or give ballpark figures - I know everyone says its a great job, lifestyle and the money is terrific - I've just not really seen the actual $$ and benefits anywhere and the awards only tell you base rate etc

Anyway, hopefully this post will be taken in good spirit!

Dan84
14th Jul 2003, 01:47
Ryanair- STN
we get paid every 2 weeks.
On the 12th its normally our sector cheque. Mine normally averages out at about £700 and at the end of the month is our basic and our commission which is roud about the same, maybe slightly less.
Mind you, we have to work bloody hard and we get deducted from commission if the bar is down etc.:cool:

AJ
14th Jul 2003, 01:58
Hi Dan

Just to be clear, what is the average TOTAL take home, with basic, commission etc. with your airline?

Interested as thinking of joining up! Any extras for languages, as is case with Ezy?

grazie!

AeroFoil
14th Jul 2003, 06:36
Im an initial with my airline and get paid monthly.
Obviously each month differs depending on what flights you do.

Lets say i just do short haul, i come out with about £1100 per month in total. If i were to do long haul it will be a few hundred pounds more.

Its all relative to the flights you do. The question i think you should be asking is how much per hour (duty pay) do you get. Then the one with the most per hr will most likely earn the most money.

But then again there are other benefits to take into consideration such as staff discount etc.

Anyway thats my situation! lol

Cheers
Dave

ozskipper
14th Jul 2003, 17:27
I've heard differing reports.... depending on who you speak to of course...

In Australia apparently its quite common to earn $1800 per fortnight on domestic flights and $2400 per fortnight on long haul.

Again, I'm not sure as the figures vary depending on the source.

jettesen
14th Jul 2003, 19:03
At EZY, the languange p[ayments have stopped. This is due to it all being on a tape now. We can work between 30 and 80 sectors a month! Depending on how your roster works out. If you are at smaller bases, you are more likely to be on 80+ sectors a month, all 6 sector days. 6 days a week!! The money is good. I as a Purser take home around £1500 month for average 40 sectors a month. We don't get duty hour pay, we have sector pay, so it works out gr8 money if you only do an EDI and back. 3.5 hours. I get £25 + basic! The low cost airlines are good pay, but you are worked to the max limits you can. Hope this helps

Juniors after probation take home around £1100

Whooaahh
14th Jul 2003, 19:53
Intersted to see that EZY have removed the language pay "due to it all being on tape now".

It is dissapointing as a passenger to hear that the language pay was only a requirement because you read out the standard cabin PA's and not because you actually had to communicate directly with your fare paying public.

Another "low-cost" cost cutting excercise that not only slap's your face as "low-cost" cabin crew as well as our faces as (not neccessarily) "low-fare" paying passengers.

Whooaahh!!!

Cart_tart
15th Jul 2003, 13:29
I'm with an oz regional and take home about $3500 per month inc allowances
If you want to know anymore pm me.

Mr Seatback 2
15th Jul 2003, 17:51
WHOA BIG FELLA!

$3500 a month?!? For a Regional? Would you happen to be a Purser, or a very senior FA within your airline?

I'm aware of most regional agreements, and very few would pay this figure to an average FA - please enlighten me oh cart tart!

Impulse FA's can take home a minimum (that is BARE minimum) of $1200 per fortnight - not including overnight allowances, live days, overtime, etc. Average is normally $1400 per fortnight. Pursers average about an additional $200 per fortnight extra.

If you really max out your roster with overnights (10+), you can make extra dosh. Work on a day off, you can earn an extra $250! Much prefer the day off mind you!

$1800 for domestic - depends how long you've been in short haul. I know of friends who are lucky to make $1400 a fortnight (well, they are junior, but hey...you wanted reality!). Senior crew with lots of overnights would probably earn that much.

Dan84
15th Jul 2003, 18:24
total take home month at the mo is about £1400, as its getting busier, bar commision etc it varies. bur round about 12 to 14.

Out of that you have to pay £25 a month for the first year for uniform!

ozflyboy
15th Jul 2003, 18:46
I have friends who are with DJ and they take home anywhere from $1400 - $2000 per fortnight.....not bad - but more hours than other OZ airlines, I have heard.....

Mr Seatback 2
17th Jul 2003, 16:04
DJ Crew overnight all over the place! That's why they earn as much as they do.

I know that MEL based DJ crews have been in the past (not sure about right now) been very upset at the major drop in pay they've taken resulting from the loss of overnights. They were (a couple of months ago now) dropping to $1200 or thereabouts!

May have changed since, but I do know that without overnights your pay can take a hammering - as it does in any airline!

sirjfp
21st Jul 2003, 19:26
Can't speak for now but at ansett ( domestic) 2 years ago I grossed $ 75000 k, which included a fair bit of overtime. I was a 3rd year cabin manager. My accountant every year used to tell me how much LESS I earned than that of my Qantas equals, who , I assume , are still earning as much if not more. I have been out of the industry for a while now and have no desire to return to it. I am lucky to have had a job for 20 years that required no qualifications , and in which I was basically under worked and over paid. It was an easy job that had it's moments but all jobs have that.

I know overseas carriers are paid far less, which makes me wonder how Qantas can sustain such high cabin crew wages. I have a friend who is a Captain with Jet Connect in N.Z whose salary package means he will earn lesss than many Qantas mainline cabin managers.

I have just been accepted into a very good and secure career as a paramedic . I won't be earning the type of money I was at ansett for a few hard years , but somehow money is no longer a motivating factor for me. I am as happy as a pig in poo!

Stay safe and happy flying to you all

kaka1973
22nd Jul 2003, 09:06
what about QF long haul wage?? any good??

leemo
22nd Jul 2003, 09:20
Sirjfp,

If you look at what Virgin Blue crew and other carriers are making per fortnight you will see Qantas don't actually pay much more for their crew.

I'm short haul and take home on average AU$1600-1800 per fortnight, thats if I work max overnights.

Looking at the post above Virgin Blue crew are taking home around the same as QF crew. OK they might work a few more hours per pay period though.

In the UK Easy Jet crew are making #1100 pounds per MONTH which at today exchange rate = AU$2700 per month. Thats only slightly less than QF pay.

Geoff Dixon continously drones on about crew being paid too much. Would love to know where he gets his info from because it appears we are paid the 'going rate' at Qantas.

missleadfoot
22nd Jul 2003, 17:29
I clear between $3700 - $4500 per month, however that is including allowances (depending on destinations). Have had the odd one over. Not bad for a low cost airline based in the Far North.

sirjfp
23rd Jul 2003, 09:11
Leemo,
I am talking about the top rate of pay as a cabin manager.

Have friends working for both airlines and there is a significant pay difference at that level, though you are not comparing apples with apples , as a 2 class cabin is much different to work in.

By the way, I wouldn't be mentioning D.T.A too much as part of the wage. This is an allowance that the tax department has already had a dip at taxing. It is supposed to be fully expended on overnights according to them, so be careful.

Cheers to you all

hgrubb
24th Jul 2003, 06:13
Hi
at BA CITIEXPRESS a NO 1 has BASIC OF £10,800 PER YEAR + FLIGHT PAY @ £1.90PH.
AVERAGE net (TAKE HOME )i have ABOUT £850-£1000 Per Month.
Luckily i have a partner who earns as i could not live on this rate on my own! Some staff are on old contract terms so may be better off than this.
Some staff still on temp contracts but you can apply for no1 position after a years flying with any airline. Basic pay goes up by about £800 per year only going from 2 to 1!
ID80/90 concessions after 6 months service.

wryly smiling
25th Jul 2003, 08:00
how much would a BA longhaul CSD be on,if it's not a rude question
I'm BA and have heard about some huge figures(salary wise!)

carrioke
25th Jul 2003, 20:30
Hi everyone. My basic is 5100dhs per month plus flight pay and allowances and exchange rate protection and it is all tax free. All bills are also paid for and so is accommodation. Grade 2 basic is around 3700 dhs per month plus all of the above. My flight pay is around 60 dhs per hour and i do an average of 60 - 85 hours per month. in UK pounds I guess my whole package is worth around 35,000 pounds annually

SinSling
3rd Aug 2003, 21:40
Not everyone is on that kind of pay misleadfoot!

CheerBear
3rd Aug 2003, 23:45
I'm with SIA and I take home an average of Singapore dollars $2500.

Benefits are 1 free ticket per year and we have to ballot for it!
Some kind of benefits..bummer.

pushback747
8th Aug 2003, 14:26
Work for QF regional take home about $2000 - $2300 per month including allowances, equivalent 2 years service.
Obviously staff travel etc.

The 35000 pound wage/package sounds alright (Poss. Emirates etc.)

Cheers,

AndrewDima
8th Aug 2003, 16:05
Hello Everyone,

Carrioke, Just wondering how you worked out that amount for your annual sallary:confused:

Im from Aust and starting with Emirates on the 21st August and had no idea it would be that amount. Thats approx $AUD 75,000 - 85,000 tax free. :E

I'm assuming you work for Emirates because your talking about the Dhm.

Also, is that Grade II your talking about or a higher position?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew :cool:

titmitch
8th Aug 2003, 19:59
hi guys
im based at a charter company at lgw my basic is £10,000 + flight allowance and bar comission. This month i took home just over £1160. this was one of my better months. im only on a temporay contract at the moment.;)

jace
8th Aug 2003, 23:03
:mad: £9,300 and FDP around 1.50 ph after tax. charter airline 747 out lgw/man when we actually work is usually only sfb bullets at wknd equates to just over a grand, sometimes dont work for months at time so not much pay really over the year!!

carrioke
9th Aug 2003, 03:45
Hi Andrew dima. The amount i posted is based on Purser position. that is roughly 5100 dhs basic. then roughly 4 or 5000 dhs on top of that depending on flying hours. When you also take into consideration that it is tax free and all accomodation ,furniture and bills are paid for by the company( in uk depending where you live, rent is roughly 400 pounds per month?, to furnish an apt with brand new stuff would also cost a fair bit, and bills 200 pounds a month or so:- so basically with emirates you dont have all these added costs so your salary is essentially for phone bills, food and drink, clothes and going out etc) Therefore you can save a lot of money if you so wished which you wouldnt be able to if you lived in the uk, hence why i guess my package is worth all in all around 31- 35,000 uk pounds.
In my first year i paid off all my uni debts and bought a house and one could definitely say I have active social life in dubai and dont stay in and count my dhs! So am very happy to have had this opportunity as i dont think I would be able to afford half the things if i worked for another airline. Hope this was some help and see you on the line when you arrive!!:ok:

Bucking Bronco
9th Aug 2003, 04:58
I notice that there is a distinct silence from BA crew members so I shall have a stab at guessing the take home pay - based on friends in the job and bar talk down route.

At BA I believe the following figures are correct...

Short Haul Junior £900 - £1700 pcm
Long Haul Junior £1700 - £2700 pcm
Long Haul Purser £2500 - £3500 pcm
Long Haul CSD £2800 - £4000 pcm

These figures are net, ie after tax.

bunnygirl
9th Aug 2003, 07:04
Short haul Purser LGW...min £1300 max £1700...but thats working b***dy hard, and max trips...still it keeps the kids in alcopops....

PS worked for EK years ago.....still had 727's.....and can vouch for the salary....bought my house on my savings.....

Anti-ice
9th Aug 2003, 07:06
Well BB , you are way off - i'm Shorthaul fulltime (10 yrs service), and i clear always approx £1500 / mth.
For Longhaul ,add another £500 .
For post 97 crew , their basic is £10 k less than mine.

So , i think you overestimated , - how about the pilots , going by your figures , they must be on £5,000-7,000 / month ? ? ? ? ?

Mashie Niblick
9th Aug 2003, 08:58
Anti-ice,
I don't think BB's that far off....He/She is talking minimum/maximum take home pay...although I will say I think we're talking LHR crew only.I'll take your word for s/haul,but the l/haul estimates are reasonable(max/min).
I'm L/haul crew LHR and without saying what grade or rank,I think BB has it about right...ie,min/max.Seen enough payslips in my time,here and there, to concur.

Bucking Bronco
18th Aug 2003, 06:27
Apologies for the tardiness of this response, been a bit busy lately...

Anti-Ice

As I said these are max/mins, i.e. for s/haul new contract crew on eurofleet getting there and backs with lots of unused stby's £900, but people on old contracts with a bit of overtime £1700ish. As I said quote<I shall have a stab at guessing the take home pay - based on friends in the job and bar talk down route.>

I ommited s/haul Psr/CSD pay from my estimates as I don't have any friends/haven't had enough conversations downroute to come up with an accurate estimate. I hope that I have been in the right ball park. Its hard to tell as on one hand I'll talk to a new contract stdss with no nightstops on her roster who is distraught and then the next trip I'll be with a long haul PSR who is bragging that his/her take home is £3500.

For the record, I don't earn £5000 to £7000. When I started off in 1998 I was on £20k but now I'm on pay point 6 on 757/767 and my pay has been around the £3400 mark for the past 6 months, this has been due to high caps and a little overtime every month. Ordinarily it would have been about £3100.

Mashie Niblick

Yes, you're right I was talking about LHR crews (don't fly with the LGW lot anymore!), I should have made this clear.

Cheers

BB

eire_boy
20th Aug 2003, 04:42
Anyone out there have any info on what a new crew member would make working out of Dublin with Ryanair \ BMI \ Cityjet?

ajaxcatch
4th Jan 2004, 21:42
pushback747

35000 pound alright. You have to compare apples with apples. Yeh its alright if your earning that and living in Australia. A large pizza in London is not 8 aussie dollars.

My experience would say earning 35000 pound in London your lifestyle would be like earning 30,000 aus in Aus. Oh the sun doesnt shine much in Lon and theres no surf down the road.

flyblue
6th Jan 2004, 03:28
Average in AF:

junior: 1800 to 2300 Euro per month
senior (+10 years) 2500-3300 Euros per month
max Flight hours per month 75
41 to 48 days leave per year

Twin Star
6th Jan 2004, 05:56
> 41 to 48 days leave per year

Wow, sounds great. Congratz!!

flapsforty
6th Jan 2004, 15:29
KLM

All figures are monthly salary before taxes. We do not get sector pay, overtime pay, bar revenues or any of the other things mentioned on this thread. We do get daily allowances depending on the price level of the location where we overnight.

Flight Attendants depending on age and years with company:
€1672 - €2654

Assistant Purser on the 747/MD-11/767/777:
€2135 - €3701

Purser on the 737:
€2596 - €4335

Purser on the 747/MD-11/767/777:
€3023 - €4853

Holidays and work per month slightly worse than Air France but still pretty good.

Double salary in December of which the tax man takes half, holiday money paid out in May.

Due to high tax levels in Holland, take home pay rather reduced from original though. :) Working a fixed 50% contract as a Purser on short haul, 22 years with the company and at 46 years of age, at the end of the month I get about €1400 put on my bank account.

pilots pal 81
7th Jan 2004, 01:37
Any crew doing long haul:
What sort of money do you earn when you do a trip to the carribean for four to five days? Just interested to find out if my company are offering a fair deal? Are you on an hourly rate from checkin to check out or a set amount for each trip?
:)

7th Jan 2004, 02:55
i'm a british airways shorthaul lhr purser,i've done nearly 20 years and am on jobshare,which is a fixed working pattern of 6 days on 12 days off,my basic salary is therefore half the fulltime wage,my takehome pay including flight allowances and after the deduction of tax,insurance,pension etc is usually about 1000 pounds (never less than this),most i've taken home on part-time is 1500,so i suppose someone with similar seniority to me on fulltime shorthaul would be in the region of 2000 minimum,and that doesn't include overtime as i never do it,find it hard enough going to work as it is.

Eliason
9th Jan 2004, 19:05
EK

Just to give the numbers for a newjoiner for Emirates:
(got them from their webpage: http://www.emiratesgroupcareers.com as well as personal experience):

A three year renewable contract.

A tax-free starting salary of AED3,640 (approx. US$1,000) plus flying pay of approximately 600 USD per month.
--> hourly pay for a Grade 2 (working in Economy - that's where all start) is 39 Dhs at the moment as far as I know (~U$ 11) - we fly between 70-90 hours a month (counted pushback till engine-Shutdown) - So that adds up to another 700-1000 U$.

We fly longhaul and shorthaul mixed - on a layover we get allowances in the countries currency along with our roomkey (60-80 Euro in Germany for 24 hours, around 65 Pound in London, .... depending on destination)

Luxury furnished shared accommodation (own bedroom).
--> ususally: own bedroom, own bathroom, kitchen and living room shared.

Comprehensive medical coverage.

Free duty transport.

End-of-service benefits. A bonus is also payable on completion of the first three year contract.
--> Bonus 6000 Dhs after 3 years + return of the 2000 Dhs deposit which they deduct in the first year (167 Dhs / month).

Annual leave ticket to your home country.
--> this ticket brings you to your home-country - not necessarily to your hometown. Countries we fly to you only get to one of EK destiantions (i.e. if you are from Darwin you can get tickets to SYD, MEL, BNE - but not home), ...

Travel concessions on Emirates and other airlines.
EK has agreements with many other airlines - we can get either ID 75/90 or ZED-Tickets depending on the airline.

With the US$ being so low at the moment it might not seem like a huge salary for many, but all we earn is tax-free and with accomodation and everything paid for it is basicaly all pocked money.

We do not get christmas-money, but each year they set a target - once reached we get a bonus (usually in May) which can be everything from 2-11 weeks - depending on how good our year was (last year it was 8-9 weeks from our basic salary).

EasyBaby
7th Feb 2004, 09:15
"EZY stopped language payments"...........funny that, i've got £200 extra in my paypacket, something about me speaking french it seems.

Karina
29th Mar 2005, 23:17
Any ideas about Britannia take home pay?

Start on 5th April and not sure what to expect?

spoilers yellow
30th Mar 2005, 13:31
BB,

I'm BA 757/767 flight crew on the same pay point as you and I take home £3700-£4100 every month, fair bit of long haul longer trips, very few day trips. Do you mainly do shorter trips? or were you still paying back your training?

Sebichoo
31st Mar 2005, 20:04
What about Virgin Atlantic ?
I consider applying but have no idea about what you get at the end of the month...

tiggerific_69
1st Apr 2005, 09:56
i know there are some CSD's at bacx at bhx on the old BAR contracts who are earning £60,000.theyve been there since the year dot but for being in charge of 3 pther crew members and 110 pax max,its not too bad is it??

urdy gurdy
3rd Apr 2005, 19:04
not bad pay for waitresses

OzzieO
3rd Apr 2005, 19:28
£60,000? Doubt that very much.

UG Your a ****.

jettesen
3rd Apr 2005, 20:03
What is the take home pay for a new entrant junior BA crew on the shorthaul fleet at LGW? before/ after probation?

keeperboy
4th Apr 2005, 22:34
Me and the bf, both at BA, him on short-haul, me on long-haul (both on 'new contract').

He averages about £1600-£1700 per month takehome, me about £2000 net.

Mind you it can fluctuate. Last month he had loads of 'swiss' trips and did some overtime and took home £2120, I had a crap roster with loads of Africa trips and took home £1580, so can swing in roundabouts.

jettesen i don't think the money at LGW short-haul differs much whether on probation or not. They are on a different allowence structure to the mainline crews and don't have many nightstops left, so money not great (though they will have mixed long/short-haul flying soon when LGW long-haul comes under the eurogatick banner). I have heard you probably looking at around £1100 net a month.