PDA

View Full Version : Pilot engineers

Torque Dirty
12th Jul 2003, 23:53
I need some advise from those that know.

What are the oportunities for a JAA CPL(H) holder that also holds an engineers licence?

I am currently going through the painful process of passing the ATPL exams and will do the CPL modular flying course immediately after. I currently work as an aircraft engineer on fixed wing kites such as the 737 and intend to punish myself further by converting my fixed wing engineers licence to a heli licence.

Does anyone have any advise or suggestions on the job prospects as a commercial pilot with an engineers licence to match the type. What type(s) on both licences would create the best opportunities? Does anyone know of anyone with 'Dual' licences that I could speak to? Does anyone know any heli companies that might require someone with both?

Am I sending myself down an empty road?

Any advise would be appreciated.

SASless
13th Jul 2003, 03:53
In my part of the world....you wind up doing two jobs for one paycheck....fly all day long...then have to work on the aircraft all night long....and only have one set of eyes checking the bird.

That being said...some very cozy jobs exist in the corporate world or for monied aristocrats that can make up for it. But those are very rare! The others are very common!

Steve76
13th Jul 2003, 04:58
Tuna Boats in Guam.

John Bicker
13th Jul 2003, 06:50
TD,

I have been LAME, CPL (A), CPL (H) now for 20 odd years. It did help a little although on my first R/W job I did not mention I could fix them as I would have ended up back on the tools. When I first achieved these qualifications together I was only 24 and of course had no experience. Still had to go through all the hoops to get that. It has paid off as the current position has me doing the better jobs that SASless mentions. Have flown in about 30 different countries R/W and been to some places many would never get the opportunity to visit. Pilot/Engineer for the last 6 years on one of those large white boats of about 180' and have flown in France, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Greece, Tanzania, Seychelles, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, SE Alaska, Canada, California, Mexico, Dominican Republic, BWI, T&C's, Bahamas, Florida......... and prior in PNG, Burma (Myanmar) etc etc. I would say go for it as there are some well paid positions available.

The last boat was sold about 3 years ago and have been preoccupied since then with a bigger and better one of course. All will be revealed in due course in about 18 months. As on another thread here it beats the crap out or working for a living.