PDA

View Full Version : Newsflash: accident at Duxford. (Merged)

Training Risky
12th Jul 2003, 22:45
Just heard on the news at 1530L:

WW2 era Firefly has crashed at Duxford, both pilots reported to have perished.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/3061391.stm

Condolences to the crew and their families:(

Vfrpilotpb
12th Jul 2003, 23:23
The film shot shown on Sky News, seems to indicate loss of speed just a few seconds before impact(which was very hard), A/c almost seemed to be at stalling speed whilst climbing wheeled onto right wing dived down to build speed up and hit the corn field, very sad day for all aircrews no matter what caused this very hard impact.

PR-B

PhotMan
13th Jul 2003, 04:15
Condolences indeed. It is one thing to lose such a valuable and beautiful piece of our aviation heritage, but to lose two individuals as well is truly sadenning.

I have to say, though, that the media does, at these times, do its best to rub salt into the wounds by coming out with appallingly-wrong 'facts'. Second World War fighter? These guys died displaying an aircraft in order not only to entertain but also to educate future generations about the type and it's role in past conflicts. In this instance it was Korea (even though, contrary to popular belief, this particular aircraft never actually flew in Korea but was merely painted as such an example) and I find it insulting to the guys' memories that the media cannot be bothered to do it's homework properly and get the facts straight.

The Firefly always seemed to be the poor relation when it came to 'getting it right'; just a few weeks ago at Kemble I heard, to my astonishment, the airshow commentator (supposedly someone who knew their onions) claim that the 'Spitfire lineage can be seen in the aircraft', that it wore 'D-Day stripes' and then invited the crowd to close their eyes and listen as one could 'almost image it was a Spitfire'. Disgusting.

RIP guys.:(

Jackonicko
13th Jul 2003, 06:55
Please don't assume that all journos know as little as these clowns. We wouldn't all describe this 'plane' (carpentry tool) as a 'Wartime fighter' and some of us know that it didn't carry 'two pilots'.

More importantly, some of us are just too saddened at the loss of two good men to try to turn it into some pointless shock horror story.

AllTrimDoubt
13th Jul 2003, 15:52
Names released by media this am. Sad loss to all and the FAA in particular. Thoughts with family and loved ones.

RIP

wessex19
13th Jul 2003, 16:06
Apparently the aircraft was formerly operated by the Royal Australian Navy's 817 Squadron. Sad day for the family and friends of the crew. RIP Chaps.

The Ferret
13th Jul 2003, 16:27
The BBC have now released the names of our lost friends and there is a video available here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/3061391.stm

Bill and Neil may you both Rest in Peace - we will miss you.:(

Hueymeister
14th Jul 2003, 02:15
A sad Day..cheers Bill..RIP.........sympathy goes out to both families.

Last Shark
14th Jul 2003, 02:35
Names have been released so I thought it appropriate to start a condolences page.

I was having a beer with Bill Murton only on Wednesday evening and we talked about the Historic Flight and the Firefly. He was committed to flying the historics and knew what it meant to a lot of people to see them airborne.

My thoughts go out to his wife and children at this impossibly difficult time and although I didn't know the other guy the same sympathy is felt for those he leaves behind.

There are millions of words in the English language but never the right ones for something like this.

Bill - you were a great guy and your loss is heartfelt by the many who had the privilege of knowing you.

No doubt we will do the honourable thing with your Mess Number at Yeovilton this week.

Sad day.

snafu
14th Jul 2003, 03:12
Having had the privelege of flying with Bill Murton during a refresher a couple of years ago, I was shocked and saddened to hear about the accident.

Words are not sufficient to adequately express my sympathies to both his and Neil Rix's families, but they're all I can offer.

RIP guys.

Wholigan
14th Jul 2003, 03:37
snafu, if that refresher was at Cranwell on the Tutor, then I was on the same course. First time I had met Bill, but he was an excellent bloke and will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

WE Branch Fanatic
14th Jul 2003, 03:45
Another sad day, two more brave lives lost. Condolences to the famillies.

ajduf
14th Jul 2003, 04:16
www.flynavyheritage.org.uk (http://www.flynavyheritage.org.uk)
To say that we are all gutted about yesterday's accident would go nowhere near how the team behind the Royal Navy Historic Flight or the Fly Navy Heritage Trust are feeling right now.

However, our hearts are with Bill & Neil's families. You are all so right - words cannot capture our emotions and feelings. We must make sure that Kim and the children know how much Bill meant to us all. Not only in the Junglie community, down at Plymouth or the numerous air shows where he would always take the time to talk (and teach) old and young alike about his passion and his infectious enthusiasm for our Fleet Air Arm heritage. As a Flight Engineer, Neil too had a zeal for the aircraft, with much of his work as part of the engineering team of the Historic Flight going seemingly unnoticed on the south side of Yeovilton.

I will endeavour to keep the Fly Navy Heritage Trust website up to date with information as and when we receive it.Fly Navy Heritage Trust (http://www.flynavyheritage.org.uk)

Our prayers are with you both. We will never forget you. Not only have we lost a very experienced RNHF Flight Commander and Engineer, but also two very good friends to us all at the Historic Flight.

Big Hugs

Allison Dufosee
Fly Navy Heritage Trust

Bill & Neil arrangements (http://www.flynavyheritage.org.uk/sad news....htm)

Regie Mental
14th Jul 2003, 19:42
May I add my condolences to the families, friends and work colleagues of the two crew.

I feel I must also express my dismay at the comments made by the 'expert' on Sky News just a few hours after the tragedy on his view on the causes for the crash. This gentleman may be 'eager', but he really should know better than to speculate in such tragic circumstances.

RM

Last Shark
15th Jul 2003, 03:02
Yeovilton has been feeling the losses today. I will keep people informed, if appropriate to do so, about funeral or memorial services. Families wishes, as ever, must come first though.

jungly
24th Jul 2003, 15:37
Rgds from the Far East,

Any news on Billy's wake - I trust the VL Wardroom is still standing. Last shark - funeral details...........I assume its already happened. ('was on leave - ******!)

We have disbatched Smoron for some RNR but in the meantime please PM me with any details.

Rgds

Ozbloke