PDA

View Full Version : South african rules,help

xabi200
12th Jul 2003, 02:03
Hi,

I'm about to do a LET410 type rating with Osmone aviation in south africa.

I won't be able to put the type rating on my UK/JAA licence, but I have been told that it is legal in south africa to fly with a south african validation and the type rating test endorsement on my logbook.

So basically my question is:
"Can I legally fly with a validation and the LET410 type rating test pass on my log book,without having anything put on my original licence?"

Thanks for any point of view.

Goffel
12th Jul 2003, 04:03
Hi to you to.
Email Claudia Lakay at CAA and ask her.She is the licence department head there at CAA.

Her direct line number is 012-4260042.
[email protected]

I am sure she will help you as she is very very helpful.

By the way,how much are you paying for the rating and is it a P1 or P2 rating.
Other is,do they offer you work afterwards.

Hope you get fixed up.

Skaz
12th Jul 2003, 05:16
methinks you cannot add a rating or any endorsement to a validation of any foreign license. You can only do that to the original license.

Example, I hold ZS license, and Namibian validation of that license, if I add an a/c rating to my ZS license, it is valid for the validation and can fly that type legally in Namibia. But I cannot add a type rating to my namibian validation of my ZS license.

Goffel
12th Jul 2003, 06:06
Hi Skaz.

After reading your answer about five times the penny dropped.

I flew with a sheep lover and he was on a SA validation,yet he did a SA a/c type rating and it was legal.
I am not sure (I know it's late) if this amounts to the same thing.

Help.

I think the best thing is for this guy to phone Claudia on Monday and then to please post the results so we all know.

By the way Skaz does your 1st name begin with an "A"?.

xabi200
12th Jul 2003, 18:15
Hi Skaz,

I agree with you there.

Basically the type rating only goes on the log book.It neither goes on the validation (impossible as you said) nor on the licence, impossible unless the place where I do the type rating is approved by the UK CAA.

Goffel the company will be paying for the type rating.

Just sent an email to Claudia,will give you the answer,but the guy from Osmone aviation told me that they have a german flying a LET410 in the same situation in algeria.
He has a JAR licence,ZS validation and type rating test endorsement on his log book.

Will keep you posted,thanks for you help.

Cheers.

Bucket
13th Jul 2003, 06:35
xabi200.SKAZ is 100% right on this.
You CANNOT add a type rating to a validation.You can only 'import' the types from your original licence. I hold a JAA and SA com and am fairly clued up on this; want comformation? Call Clauida at CAA to confrim this. The German chap operating in Algeria sounds completelty illegal.
Just because the rating appears on the logbook and not your licence does not matter. The SA CAA will withdraw the validation if you attempt to abuse it in the manner that your German collegue appears to be currently doing so.

Good luck.:ok:

skyvan
13th Jul 2003, 20:53
I don't know how legal this may be, but why not convert to a legal SA PPL, put the LET onto that licence, then it will be legal on the validation?

planecrazi
13th Jul 2003, 22:10
I don't believe you may fly around with a log book, secondly the logbook is neither a license, merely a record.
I also believe that you may not add a new type to a validation. A validation is only a copy/mirror of the original. Any new types that are to be added to a validation, must first be found on the original.
Imagine trying to produce a license without a type rating endorsement during a ramp check in Algeria, let's say, and explaining that it's in your log book with a signiture, is in another country, say Tunisia (example, where one could be based). I think you would be grounded and taken away.
Best bet, SACAA, Claudia, will know even better.

Goffel
14th Jul 2003, 00:40
Ja no well fine.
As I said in the beginning,phone CAA and speak with Claudia.

I think some of the people who have done some in-put here are not from SA (sorry chaps I am not trying to sound rude,please).

Explanation:
In SA now,you dont have your A/C types in your licence except the turbines,the rest are now just endorsed into your logbook and as far as the CAA are concerned,that is now your tcket to fly that particular a/c.

In the old days you got a piece of paper that said what a/c you were rated on,and even before that it was in a page in your logbook that had every a/c you were rated on to fly.

I think the person that said do the PPL is probably most correct in this instance,but I am just wandering if it cannot be put onto your validation????.

We will all find out in the morning as probably we will all be phoning Claudia to find out.

But the person who does find,please post the results.
Thanks.

Skaz
14th Jul 2003, 03:09
Gof no, unless you mean 'assh*le", been called that a lot:D :{ :ok:

my two cents is based on my experiences here in Nam with Nam DCA and ZS License and RSA CAA.

You cant add rating to a validation, end of story. Only to a current license. The country you operate in, ex Nam, validates your foreign license,ex ZS, and accepts your ratings,qualifications etc & allows you to fly same a/c in their country,Nam, that you are rated on as in your foreign,ZS, license.

If you do a type rating, with a Nam DE, that is not also a ZS qualified DE, the rating is useless. Because you cant add it to your ZS license and you cant add it to your Nam validation of your ZS license.

If you do rating with somebody, like Uncle Robbie, thats a ZS DE, then the rating goes on your ZS license and the Nam validation allows you to ops on that a/c in Nam.

Simple.....isnt it:hmm:

concordino
14th Jul 2003, 07:23
Goffel,

Going back to your statement, Let410 is a multi crew turbine aircraft, so according to you it would be put on the license not just the logbook.
:cool:

Goffel
14th Jul 2003, 15:09
Help.
Somebody please put the answer on here.
I unfortunately am going cruising for a month so will be unable to see the end resulst.
I am not arguing with anyone as I dont know the answer,but as I said ask CAA.

Yes,as the LET is turbine it must be put onto the page in your licence.
After that "I'm not knowing"

By the way,Skaz,what happened to your licence for the bicycle.I believe you got pulled over for sobre riding.:E

Cheers.:ok:

Skaz
15th Jul 2003, 04:11
Goffel methinks you have me confused with somebody else...

Petes Dragon
15th Jul 2003, 14:07
Hi all you guys,

Maybe this will shed some light on the issue:

Lets try this one again....(cold fingers and all so early on a sunny SA winter morning)

As I was saying:

1. Skaz is correct in saying that you cannot add any type to a validation, only to a license. The SA licencing authority, cannot change (add to or delete from) a foreign license. In the same way, a foreign authority may not change your SA license, byt may issue a validation of that license. That basically means that you need the type on your (foreign) license before you may operate it on a SA validation of that license.

2. To try and get a PPL is still not the answer. You are intending to operate commercially not so? You are not allowed to operate commercially on a PPL. So although you have a PPL and are licensed to fly a LET410 on your PPL, you cannot operate as part of a crew whilst engaged in commercial activities.

3. A logbook is not a license, and in the case of the SACARS, you are only allowed to fly types weighing less than 5700kgs that need not be specified on your license, but are correctly signed out in you logbook. These would typically include all single pistons, most light piston twins etc. Any turbine aircraft (even those weighing less than 12500) and aircraft weighing in excess of 5700kg (12500lbs) have to be specified in your license.

Hope this sheds some more light on a cloudy issue. If you still have questions phone the CAA....