PDA

View Full Version : MyTravelite expansion to LGW and MAN

A4
12th Jul 2003, 00:52
MYT Lite have announced they will be operating a daily TFS (Tenerife South) and MJV (Murcia) from 1st November. Initial pricing looks to be <£100 return for TFS.

Nice to get a foothold in MAN and LGW for "Lite". This is a further indicator that everything is being done to turn the group around as much as possible. Full utilisation of crew and aircraft in the winter makes sense but are they creating a competitor to the charter airline?

Hope it works for all concerned!

A4 :ok:

Norman Stanley Fletcher
12th Jul 2003, 10:01
They are certainly creating a competitor to GB Airways out of LGW. I am not sure what GB's current prices are to TFS but they are not dissimilar to that (maybe a bit more expensive but I am not sure). Just back from TFS myself and GB A320s have 156 seats with the 321s having 185. I believe MyLite have a significantly smaller seat pitch to give 185 on a 320 which is a lot of people in a small space! Four hours-plus of that added to no food will be misery and DVT thrown in with the fare, but some people will do anything to save a couple of quid!

Edit by NSF: Just checked the BA website and you can get a return to TFS from end of September onwards for £90 incl taxes. Who on earth is going to take MyLite with no food in cramped conditions for £100 when you can travel with BA (GB Airways being the franchise operating the route) with all the frills for less? The low cost myth is slowly but surely coming to an end. The best low-cost airline in the UK is BA.

Incidentally this is a real departure for the low-costers. Historically they do not go for long routes because they cannot get all their benefits of quick turn-rounds etc to be of any real value. I cannot imagine anyone having the choice of a much more comfortable flight at broadly the same price choosing a 'low-cost' airline for such a long journey. Low cost is great for an hour or so, but anything more is untenable - particulary when you can go cheaper with BA!

Murcia is also another GB route out of LGW. GB is a pretty efficient operation and although competition is getting stiffer every day, they are pretty confident of fighting it out with the best of them.

Let battle commence!

sluggums
12th Jul 2003, 16:52
NSF,

Who threw your MyT teddy out of the pram?

PH-EHEH
12th Jul 2003, 18:53
I think this is a typical winterproduction. The mytravel have aircraft left during the winter, so why not operating to winterdestination i.s.o. of putting those aircraft on the ramp and get no money for it. The profits to TFS will be just higher then the variable costs, so it creates cash money (ofcourse only when there is no other business for an aircraft). There is one more thing, the people who travels to TFS on seat only base, must arrange their accomodation by themselves. And the canarics are not the same is continental europe where you can easily book appts or hotels against affordable rates. The only thing that mytravel can do is also selling some seats to touroperators.

Neo
12th Jul 2003, 19:58
Don't forget that Monarch Scheduled have been running services from LGW and MAN to ALC, FAO and AGP.

I don't expect them to sit on their laurels either. In addition, you get the usual full service, so I suspect they may also be more attractive than MYL.

Furthermore they could run mixed charter/scheduled services to more distant destinations such as TFS.

Stand 22
12th Jul 2003, 23:47
Have a look at www.mytravellite.com. I haven't seen a fare over £50 for MAN-TFS yet.

Also, the MYL A320s are 180Y config, not 185.

MAN timetable below.

http://www.flightsimnetwork.com/dcforum/User_files/3f102cd24f6f27c2.gif

Regards,

eastern wiseguy
13th Jul 2003, 00:07
norman stanley fletcher wrote

The best low-cost airline in the UK is BA

What a shame they seem to think the UK consists largely of England..and to h*ll with the provinces....400000 pax per annum BFS LHR and they LOSE money and quit! Ask my Welsh counterparts in Cardiff what they think ...similar story I reckon...Good on you MyLite ...:ok:

bagpuss lives
13th Jul 2003, 06:44
Good to see MYL provide a bit of competition to Monarch on the scheduled / charter crossover operations.

I wonder if anyone from MON can comment on loadings etc on their scheduled flights just out of interest?

CPT4C
14th Jul 2003, 00:47
MON are running at 82% at the moment.(that is over the whole year not just the summer)

bagpuss lives
14th Jul 2003, 02:27
Thanks CPT4C :)

carlos vandango
14th Jul 2003, 18:37
PH-EHEH, the canaries are chocked full of affordable accommodation at the sames rates as mainland spain. Plenty of British apartment / timeshare owners too. Whether this can sustain daily services on top of every other UK charter company's winter flying program remains to be seen. A return ticket to TFS can usually be aquired for around £120 in winter anyway via a mulititude of flight only consolidators

no, no, no
14th Jul 2003, 22:56
I have heard that, although MYL have slots at TFS for their MAN flights, they do not have anything to operate their LGW services. MYT also don't have anything suitable which they could swap!!!!

Thought it strange that MYL haven't really shouted about their new LGW services, but this would explain why.

On another point I have heard that someone else is about to launch another new London TFS service, looks like everyone is getting on the act now. I just hope it is from LHR as that would make it miles better for me! Saves travelling to South of London!

myflybhx
17th Jul 2003, 04:18
MYT Lite is a huge success out of BHX and I am sure that these new routes out of LGW & MAN will be a great success.

The flights are always nearly full, and this doesn't appear to have had any affect on the normal charter service out of BHX.