PDA

View Full Version : BA Concorde - the farewell tour

huw stunn
10th Jul 2003, 22:41
I hear that BA are to announce the details tomorrow of the farewell tour by Concorde in October. Details will be on their website with some type of competition to win tickets.

Places to be visited include BHX, MAN, EDI, JFK, YYZ, BOS, IAD and some others in UK.

BRISTOLRE
10th Jul 2003, 23:17
mmmm
I am not sure about such a tour but I was contacted today by BA.COM and they told me to watch out in my "Inbox" for a special Concorde offer.
It did not make any suggestion to a specific tour.
Lets wait an' see what comes tommorow.

I dont want to see a farewell tour I want her to stay.

BOEINGBOY1
10th Jul 2003, 23:29
How great would it be for BA and BAE to give 2 fingers to the USA on this "tour" - Just like the USA did when BA wanted to operate services to multiple other US destinations back in the begining. Guess they could make an exception for JFK, this being concordes backbone route!

getoverit
11th Jul 2003, 02:21
Apparently the tour will include BHX, CWL, EDI, BFS and MAN - commencing the week of October 20th. The aircraft will spend a day at each airport, leaving for a 2 hour champagne flight over the Bay of Biscay. 325 pairs of tickets up for grabs - watch out for tv and radio ads - the first during Coronation Street on friday!

BRL
11th Jul 2003, 14:50
Slightly off-topic a bit but I am sure i seen a picture last night in a paper that I was flicking through at work with a Concorde with its wings off and no engines. Was it just me in a haze on nights or was it for real?

ORAC
11th Jul 2003, 15:12
You enter the competition by phoning 09069 150 001. The cost of the call is around £2.

There is a multi-choice question asking which was the fastest time for Concorde between JFK and LHR. The choices are:
1. 2Hrs 53Mins
2. 3Hrs 53Mins
3. 6Hrs 53Mins.

Concorde's fastest yet transatlantic crossing was on February 7th 1996, when she completed the New York to London flight in 2 hours 52 minutes and 59 seconds ...

Flights will take place in the week of October 20th. Each prize is a pair of tickets.

Dude~
11th Jul 2003, 17:57
Big Red L,

I saw that pic in the Daily Mirror yesterday, twas an Air France Concorde being dismantled at Baden airport ready for transportation to a musemum in Germany. I has had its wings removed outboard of its engines and the tail removed forward of that dinky little tailwheel.

A sad sight...

MerchantVenturer
11th Jul 2003, 18:53
There is one glaring omission from this list of airports to be visited - its British place of birth!

Over the years Concorde has regularly carried out 'pleasure flights' over the Bay of Biscay etc from Filton (Bristol Airport's runway being too short to accommodate the beautiful bird), and although NIMBY action has curtailed this type of thing at Filton in recent years I am certain there would be no opposition for one final visit.

However, there is a suggestion that BA may keep one Concorde operational for air shows etc and the selected aircraft may be kept at Filton where engineering backup and know-how is available.

GK430
11th Jul 2003, 20:14
EGBB is slated for the 20th Oct.

MV
Hope one gets to Filton, very befitting.:ok: :ok:

eng1170
11th Jul 2003, 22:37
Would like to know why Glasgow has been left out of the "tour" this is also a main BA route, both mainline and franchise partners operate plenty services from here and there's an engineering base as well!

I also feel it would be appropriate given that there were 3 Concorde's present together at Glasgow on the 30 August 1983 to coincide with the inauguration of the GLA-LHR Shuttle service, G-BOAD, G-BOAA, and G-BOAB!

Why have we been left out?

gordonroxburgh
11th Jul 2003, 23:24
Glasgow is pretty small and confined area wise, so maybe not the best for allowing people to view the aircraft. Edinburgh is slightly less busy.

As they are going to Cardiff and Belfast, they are really doing the 3 Capitals.

It is a shame they will not do a 2 week tour an take in a few other airports, even if some of them are funded by Paying charters.

I would love to see her at PIK, even as a tech stop in the way home to LHR. PIK was her 2nd home in the UK and where most of the captains got their Concorde wings. PIK also offers are great oportunitly for people to see the aircraft, without too much disturbance to the local areas.

You can just imagine the traffic chaos the airports are in for when she visits.

boredcounter
12th Jul 2003, 00:02
Alas your eyes not at fault.
AF clipped as you say with engines out prior to shipment by barge I believe to final destination, a German museum. Why German?

Any AF SST's doing a tour as a farewell?

Bored

Electric Sky
12th Jul 2003, 00:20
It will be a shame not to see her at EMA ever again :(

PaperTiger
12th Jul 2003, 00:39
Why German?

So it can be displayed alongside their Tu144. Smart move :ok:

AlanM
12th Jul 2003, 01:36
And if you phone - you get told that the call will take 2 mins and cost £2 but BA aren't making any profit from the call.

OK - but who is!?!?!?

Tom the Tenor
12th Jul 2003, 02:20
I think a visit to Cork by Concorde would be most appropriate bearing in mind all the sonic booms we have had listen to near our coast down the years. It sure would be nice to see such a noisey but beautiful celebrity up close and in the flesh! ;)