PDA

View Full Version : Pilatus PC7

grow45
10th Jul 2003, 19:17
Hope you military chaps dont mind a query from a civilian (although I was a member of the RAFGSA if that helps) but has anybody any experience with the Pilatus PC7. I am due to fly one soon and was wondering what to expect. Any info, stories appreciated.

Thanks

grow45

Blacksheep
11th Jul 2003, 11:56
The local air force has one. A South African chap flies about in it supposedly training local pilots. From where I see it, with both feet firmly screwed to the ground, it appears to perform a bit like a ww2 Mustang - as the spawny Afrikaaner rolls, loops, pulls tight turns and generally has his wicked way with the thing.

I'm told that he actually gets paid for flying it too. Some people have all the luck I guess. I bet he even has a 12 inch joystick... :rolleyes:

Through difficulties to the cinema

ShyTorque
12th Jul 2003, 07:10
Saw the company display pilot fly it some years ago. The display began with the tightest square loop I can remember. Very impressive so start eating raw meat NOW :ok:

flyingfemme
13th Jul 2003, 04:46
You'll enjoy it Grow45 - nothing not to like. It handles quite gently (it is a trainer after all) and aerobats nicely. I understand that the big engined variety is superior but, what the heck?
Makes a good X-country machine, lotsa room in the cockpit, comfy, nice boot for luggage/shopping, good vis from the back seat.

expeditecrashlanding
15th Jul 2003, 17:43
I'll be flying the PC-7 for the RNLAF (dutch airforce)next year, if all goes well. We get about 30 houres flight time to master the beast. The PC-7 is used for basic flight training before they send us of to the states. There we continue our training as NATO pilots at frt Rucker or sheppard AFB, depending on your designated type. I hear the PC-7 is "hard to fly" as it is very responsive, thus agile and powefull with it's 650hp turboprop (you like?).

I'll bet you'll enjoy yourself grow45, have fun.

Thud_and_Blunder
15th Jul 2003, 19:08
Backing up what Blacksheep said earlier, I had the pleasure of being driven around the skies of N Borneo in a PC7 a couple of years ago. Air-conditioned splendour, far more comfortable than the JP3A in which I started my own flying career, helicopter-like visibilty apart from immediately in front. I have a sneaky feeling you're going to enjoy yourself...

eugi
16th Jul 2003, 02:37
hello grow45

here in switzerland, the p7 is the trainer in the air force for the bambinis.
its a wonderful plane: pretty powerful, very sensitive steering and if you try to turn very narrow, try it...and be happy.
the cockpit is state-of-the-art. nothing of new snobism, its to do airwork, wonderful

eugi

PC7anyone?
17th Jul 2003, 15:47
I'm presently flying the PC7 in Brunei as an instructor for their air force (on loan from the Royal Air Force). The aircraft is a delight to fly. It has good control harmony and is responsive. It is a little underpowered with only 750 SHP but if your only experienece is a cesna 172 it will blow you away! The view from the back is awful, much worse than the Tucano I flew in the UK. You should have a great time but do make sure you go easy with the aeros and "G". If you have had little experience of either then it is a quick way to spoil an enjoyable ride.

Enjoy:O :O

grow45
21st Jul 2003, 00:27
Thanks for the input. Most powerfull I've flown so far is a 180hp Piper Archer and the only aeros I've done are in gliders so it should be a bit of an eye opener but lots of fun.

grow45