PDA

View Full Version : Civ Conversion

Bomber1000
10th Jul 2003, 07:12
Short of phoning the CAA or other regulatory body can any body give me an answer as to how flying in the forces can be converted to ATPL commercial licence. From what I gather on the net any conversion is purely based on idiviudal status. If so any ideas of typical req's?
Useful URL's?

Any help on this would be appreciated!

Cheers

Bomber1000
11th Jul 2003, 04:04
Many thanks, that seems to have hit the nail on the head !

RoboAlbert
11th Jul 2003, 04:22
Bomber, from your profile I assume (rightly or wrongly!) that you’re considering a career in aviation and are also thinking about the military. However, to be honest your question makes me wonder if the forces is the right way to go.

I’ve seen some web sites that seem to suggest that the military is some way of building hours and experience to assist in gaining an ATPL. Remember that you’ll be signing on for a minimum of 12 years and be expected to offer a level of commitment that few civilian employers would ever demand.

Given the recent recovery signs in the civilian market, would that route be a better option? Unless you really want to join the military to make a career of it and are 100% committed, I’d suggest it might not be the thing for you.

Bomber1000
11th Jul 2003, 06:11
RoboAlbert

Guilty as accused I’m afraid.

Commercial aviation has been the only attraction to me from the word go and due to the recent pretty bleak market I’ll consider any thing even if it means enlisting and ‘abusing’ the system.

I think you are right, and I doubt I shall end up heading this way. At 22 PPL 100+ hours, 2:1 Degree in Aerospace engineering the modular ATPL + Instructor route is looking favourable, not to mention applying for any ‘schemes’ that may arise in the meantime.

Many thanks for your feedback any comments and/or opinions are all ways welcome.

Bomber

BEagle
11th Jul 2003, 06:23
Robo, old chap, I wrote the paper which led to the military accreditiation scheme as a recruiting and retention measure. If Bomber1000 is prepared to join and give it his all, if he goes via the ME route then in about 5-8 years time he could be flying the C17, A400M, A330-200 or 767 tanker, Nimrod MRA4 - or C130J. All of which will be light years ahead of today's ac. He might like it so much that he'll want to stay - but if he doesn't, then when he's got 2000 hours with 1000 as a ME captain, he'll be able to leave with a wealth of experience and start his second career having been a valued part of the Service...

RoboAlbert
11th Jul 2003, 18:35
Beagle

As Bomber admitted in his recent post he’s only really interested in a career in civil aviation; this being the case he’s unlikely to be able to ‘give it his all’.

Given the current rise in recruitment for civilian airlines I would suggest he gets the extra 150 hrs on a modular ATPL course and goes for a regional or low cost airline. Prehaps he might try and get on some sort of cadetship scheme.

He may well end up in several years time with lots of hours but with no jobs around. I think given the current situation my advice is probably sound.

By the way you forgot to mention the C-130 K, that’s going to be around for a while yet.

BEagle
12th Jul 2003, 00:10
I didn't want to put him off!! ;)

Hence I didn't mention the TriShaw or the dear old Vickers Funbus and SuperFunbus either!! :)

Bomber1000
12th Jul 2003, 06:44
Ok,

So the message is mixed.

Don't get me wrong if I were in i would give it my all, just a few queries though.

Realistically how many hours could I expect to be flying a year? How long is the service period these days? err... I'm sure there were a few more questions than this but its a friday night after a couple of jars and brain isn't quite in gear! Keep the suggestions coming though they are starting to help me get this straight in my mind.

Many thanks for all your help.

Bomber

DB6
12th Jul 2003, 14:36
Bomber 1000, be careful! If you do go military and give it your all, and you're good, you'll get stuffed into something sharp and pointy or with rotating wings. You don't get to choose where you go and performing with a goal other than fast jet in mind is fraught with danger. Best stick to what you really want to do.