PDA

View Full Version : strobes !!

ojt...aye
27th Dec 2000, 05:22
hello chaps ...listen up !! tonight one of my colleagues (who was somewhat blinded by the light) asked a chap to deselect the strobes . T he chap in question was using an out of service runway to taxy in .The responsewas "i AM STILL ON THE RUNWAY !!!" OK but when do you switch the strobes off? ...Certain aircraft do it on contact with the runway ....a320 a321 a319 ....do you have an SOP ?? Love to hear the response ........yours ..."BLINDED BY THE LIGHT "

411A
27th Dec 2000, 10:39
Many companies have a requirement that the strobes be left on whenever on a runway, active or not. Have always thought that this was a very good idea. The very nasty accident at LAX some years ago may well have been prevented if strobes had been displayed.
Can appreciate however that they can be rather bright.

static
27th Dec 2000, 13:43
SOP is to switch them off when vacating the runway. However, as 411A said, we`ll keep them on whenever we`re crossing a runway.

Track
27th Dec 2000, 14:02
On when entering a runway, active or not, off as soon as runway vacated.

---------------------
Track

HugMonster
27th Dec 2000, 14:07
Was the runway out of use, or disused? Was it lit as a runway, or as a taxyway?

Me personal feeling is that if I was taxying up 23 @ LHR, strobes should be off. Similarly the cross-runway (forget its old designation) @ SEN.

Strobes are for warning other aircraft when you're on the runway(s) in use.

[This message has been edited by HugMonster (edited 27 December 2000).]

Hew Jampton
28th Dec 2000, 02:11
Although strobes can be annoying and distracting, they do not affect night vision when viewed directly from more than a few metres away for two reasons:
1. The light is on for an insufficient duration to affect the retina
2. The light source is so small that it is only 'seen' by a very small part of the retina, although the light source can appear to be larger when the strobe is reflected from an adjacent surface.

Spearing Britney
28th Dec 2000, 05:00
Well 'Blinded' you are right that airbus strobes come on when the aircraft leaves the ground and go off again on landing (it's off the main gear weight on switch) but that is only if the pilots leave the strobe switch in the auto position.

Use of strobes is not covered in our SOP's but it is in the airbus FCOM as setting strobe switch to auto in the cockpit preparation and to off when securing the aircraft after engine shutdown.

However, what we actually do is select the strobes to auto as part of the cockpit preparation and then to on when entering an active runway and to off when tidying up after landing on leaving the runway - hence ensuring they are on when doing the take off roll but risking them being left on by us dopey pilots as we taxy in.

FYI I was always taught strobes on when entering an active and off when leaving and BTW my JAR Air Law notes don't say anything about use of strobes other than "A pilot may switch off or reduce the intensity of any flashing lights if they are likely to adversely affect the satisfactory performance of duties, or subject an outside observer to harmful dazzle."

Hope that helps...

Mattvitale
28th Dec 2000, 08:33
My company's SOP requires the storbes to be on whenever on a runway, active or not. This includes simply crossing a runway. I think it to be an excellent idea, in hopes that the tower can more likely see my little e120 at night on a brightly lit runway, or the aircraft on approach can see me.

ojt...aye
28th Dec 2000, 22:11
Thanks for the info guys .....I have to say I can see the sense of it all !! ...and thanks for clearing up the Airbus riddle .I will pass your replies on to my colleague.Best regards to all in the new year !!!

aviator
30th Dec 2000, 03:04
A friend of mine was taxiing in at JFK one evening behind Air France, which had left the strobe lights on after turning off the runway.

After a few minutes he asked them on ground frequency: "Air France, would you please turn your strobes odd?"

No response.

After the second request, someone else on the frequency said: "Ask him in French!"

"OK, Airr Fraaance, wuud youu pleeez turrrrn yeeerr struuuubs oeffff?"

------------------
I have a need for speed!

Former_SLUF_Driver
30th Dec 2000, 05:29
"Where did he go"???????

"Where'd whoooooooo goooooooooo"?????!?!?!!?!?!