PDA

View Full Version : What's it like landing at Cusco?

fireflybob
10th Jul 2003, 05:11
Just got an email from my 17 year old son who has just landed in Cusco on a trekking expedition with his school. He said the appoach into Cusco (not sure whether that's Bolivia or Peru) was quite spectacular.

Anyone been there and/or got any pictures of the approach/airport?

Thanks for any help

Irishwingz
10th Jul 2003, 20:01
Was there last summer, flew in on a Lan Peru 737. Very spectular, the town is in a valley surrounded by the mountains, very high up. The altitude really hits you. I've seen threads on Cusco (Cuzco) on the South American forum......pictures too I think

airsmiles
12th Jul 2003, 01:55
I was at Cusco (Peru) last month. The approach is definitely spectacular with the Andes on 3 sides during approach, but really it's nothing compared to take-off.

We were on an Aerocontinente B727-100 of 1967 vintage. Because of delays we didn't take-off until 2.30pm which is just about as late as you can depart given the wind pattern there. We used every inch of the runway and took an absolute age to climb-out of the valley. I have flown a lot but I was a bit spooked on that occasion.

All the aircraft except LAN Peru's A320's seem to use the same rotation technique. i.e. lift the nose about 2/3rds along the runway then wait and wait ... for actual lift-off. Seems to work well enough but I did get the impression that all of the (old) a/c operated from Cusco must be near their limit of performance. Bear in mind that, due to a lack of competition, most flights are also full.

Good fun though.

airsmiles

[edited for spelling ]

Taildragger67
16th Jul 2003, 23:09
Dropped into Cusco in '99 in Aero Continente 727-100. Hadn't been on one of those since the late-70's - Lima airport is a bit of a living museum in that respect.

Anyway... most of the flights are in the morning as the winds get up in the afternoon. We joined the circuit & I was disquieted at the length (short-th??!!) of the strip. Pilot put it down not far past the keys and stood on the brakes. Hard. Can't say I blame him, there's not a lot of room past the end to the fence & the houses over the road.

I noticed what looked like a Peru AF DC-8 lining up a couple of days later & thought 'this'll be fun'. Sure enough, he got out, but I don't think he would've had much wiggle room. Fairly shallow climb profile for a bit after unstick...

The terminal then was basically a shed, I understand it's been improved since then.

Anyway - your boy will love Cusco and its three Irish pubs. Run by Aussies...

Captain Stable
17th Jul 2003, 00:14
There are lots of pics of Cusco on airliners.net - just do a search