PDA

View Full Version : Mr Peter Rainey

crewrest
9th Jul 2003, 06:36
I've just seen on the UK 10 o'clock news about the tragic death of Mr Peter Rainey and his wife in a dingy accident in Cyprus. I believe Mr Rainey is a former Royal Navy helicopter pilot who ran a company teaching night flying in Scotland.

I was especially saddened to see their utterly traumatised nine-year-old son, who was also in the dingy, being wheeled through assembled press outside the hospital in Paphos.

I understand they also leave a six-year-old daughter who witnessed the event.

I don't normally come to this part of PPRuNe as I’m fixed wing and I don't know the family, but I wanted to express my condolences on this forum to the family, friends and colleagues of Mr Rainy and his family.

BBC Report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3055434.stm)

(edited for BBC URL)

WEBLUEIT
9th Jul 2003, 09:16
If this was the Pete Rainey I worked with many years ago in the Fleet Air Arm, then I am deeply saddened.

He was a genuine guy, and totally commited to aviation.

Sad loss,

Iain.

Heliport
9th Jul 2003, 16:34
I'm afraid it does seem to be the same Peter Rainey.

Here's a link to an excellent article he wrote not long ago.
NVG for Beginners (http://www.highlandaero.co.uk/NVart.pdf)

What a terrible tragedy. Those poor children.

peterking
9th Jul 2003, 17:40
Is it the same Peter Rainey who used to work for British International Helicopters in Shetland?

teeteringhead
9th Jul 2003, 17:47
What a shock - we were on the same QHI course many many moons ago. I recall from then that he loved the water as much as he loved the air, and also wrote and spelled the most appalling English of anyone I knew [which has improved by leaps and bounds judging from the NVG article]. Top bloke, top pilot - became a tp I think. Condolences to all his loved ones - particularly the little ones.

wub
9th Jul 2003, 18:25
Top bloke Pete. I worked with him on several occasions. What a terrible tragedy, especially for his children. My sincere condolences.

Heliport
9th Jul 2003, 19:04
Excerpt from The Scotsman Father dies in rescue attempt

A SCOTTISH couple drowned on holiday in front of their two young children after a small plastic dinghy capsized in rough seas off the western coast of Cyprus yesterday.

Peter Rainey, 49, a Falklands war veteran and North Sea helicopter pilot, died as he tried in vain to rescue his wife, Alison, 41, after the inflatable she was paddling tipped over 100 metres from the shore at Peyia, a popular resort near Paphos.

The couple’s son, Callum, 9, who was also in the dinghy, was swept to safety and was revived by tourists on the beach.

It is understood the incident began shortly before midday yesterday when Ms Rainey and her son left the beach, apparently to head for a small island offshore from the Cypriot resort.

According to eye witnesses, Mr Rainey ran into the sea after he spotted the dinghy capsizing and his wife and son frantically waving for help in the choppy water. But although he managed to get to the pair and push the inflatable upright before dragging his family back on board, the dinghy is understood to have capsized for a second time.

The couple’s seven-year-old daughter, Catriona, witnessed the drowning from the shore in the care of family friends who had joined the Raineys on the holiday.

Canadian-born Mr Rainey married Alison, an electro-optics engineer, at a family ceremony in St Catherine’s Catholic Church, in Edinburgh, on 1 July, 1989.

A night-flying expert and helicopter test-pilot and instructor, Mr Rainey trained flyers in the use of night-vision goggles.

Last night, the Rev John Purves, the minister of Dollar Parish Church, said the family were committed Christians and regular churchgoers. "Everyone is devastated at this very, very sad news. Peter and Alison were very physically fit. They enjoyed outdoor pursuits and they were very keen cyclists. It’s almost too difficult to take in," he said.

Full report here. (http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=745782003)

Onthebuffet
9th Jul 2003, 21:36
Pete & Alison.
You will be missed by many, many people, including ourselves, but most of all by Callum and Catriona.
You were fantastic folk & we will never forget you.

God Bless

Scott & Jennie

Shawn Coyle
10th Jul 2003, 02:04
Very sad - Pete was an excellent pilot, test pilot and friend. He will be missed in the flight test community, as well as many other parts.

Hueymeister
10th Jul 2003, 04:23
What a top bloke....worked with him during his RNR time..met his missus and kids when they came to Kinlochjock to pick him up...I am shocked..what can you say?

Hummingfrog
10th Jul 2003, 22:45
What a tragedy. No words can express the deep sorrow felt out here on the 40s, both by the aircrew, engineer and rig personnel who knew Peter and Alison

We all feel for his children and can tell them that he was well respected out here as a fine pilot and a genuinely nice guy.

May they both rest in peace.

HF

Scotia 40s

Thud_and_Blunder
14th Jul 2003, 06:10
Peter came out to Brunei to help teach the RBAirF the basics of NVG. He had all the right qualities - credibility, diplomacy and sense of humour. Top bloke for a navy pilot.... He was also the origin of the story about how the UK stopped calling them Pilot Night Goggles and started using the US term NVG.

Very sad news - Rest in Peace.