PDA

View Full Version : new NETT income 1st year Captain SIA ?????

mk1eyeball
8th Jul 2003, 18:40
1 st year capt base salary = $8350 X 13 months
=$108,550 sgd
how much tax would be paid on this ?
what allowances/per diem in addition to this ?
what would be the new NETT income per annum ?
sgd = 1.75 usd
= 2,75 gbp

millerscourt
8th Jul 2003, 18:57
mk1eyeball All you need to know is that it is the Square root of FA!!!

BlueEagle
9th Jul 2003, 07:23
From memory, the productivity allowance is approx. S$31 per BLOCK hour and meal allowances work out, on average, at S$150 per 24 hour period, (much more in, say Japan than India!).

Given the reduced flying at the moment, (slowly improving) you should be able to allow another S$3360pm. The meal allowances are, I think, tax free.

Once again, from memory, the tax threshold is at about S$5000.
Thereafter the first S$100,000 is taxed at approx. 15%.

I am sure there are others who can give you more up to date information than this, hopefully it is a bit more useful than millerscourt's contirbution;)

mk1eyeball
9th Jul 2003, 19:14
thankyou blue eagle
i had been tentatively considereing a short term with sia at some future time so thats useful updated gen.
over the 100k whats the next tax banding as that may be the one that hurts?
is this pay cut applied to the london bases too?
i know fair bit about the rest of the operation just need bit more info about the renumeration side.

millerscourt
10th Jul 2003, 19:50
Blue Eagle I could not see the relevance of the question asked by Mark1 as surely he is aware that SIA have a surplus of Pilots and I doubt whether they will be recruiting for several years.However when they do I predict as follows.

1) All Singapore based Pilots in future will be on National Terms only ie no rental allowance,no school allowance,no expat allowance. The Provident Fund has already been discontinued for new joiners.

2) Service increments will be changed to no more than 1.5x bottom scale.

3) Formula for service increments will be changed so that it will take forever to get on the top scale.

4) Bonus formula will be changed to ensure that the days of 3+ months basic are never paid again.

CA is up for renewal soon. This time around as SIA will steamroller reduced benefits, they will not take 2 1/2 years to settle , so it will forced down the throats of the Pilots. The generals have won hands down with the active help of AlphaS.

SIA will as a result only appeal to those from the Third World,whilst London Basing will still be attractive to the ex BA 55ers as they are paid in Sterling and most don't pay tax.

Mark1 Eyeball Tax in Singapore Go to www.iras.gov.sg all the tax rates are there for what it is worth.

millerscourt
16th Jul 2003, 03:50
Mk 1 Eyeball Having given you the information you require re Singapore Tax , it would have been nice and polite to have received an acknowlegement !!

Blue Eagle Perhaps you can understand now why I treat such ignorant questions from people like Mk1 with a certain amount of contempt, justifiably so I think.

Up to here
16th Jul 2003, 06:12
millerscourt

Has it ever occured to you that the poor guy may actually not have had the chance to read your posting??

If you treat such questions with a certain amount of contempt, then maybe YOU would be better of not answering them.

OZZY AIRBORNE
16th Jul 2003, 12:16
Millerscourt, after your first reply Mk.1 eyeball probably wrote you off as an unhelpfull git, which was only confirmed by your second post. Take a chill pill man!!

millerscourt
16th Jul 2003, 15:50
Up to here and Ozzy Yes you are right, sorry Mk 1 .

I guess the unbelievable question you asked in the first place made me wonder where you had been for the past few months!!!

Rockhound
16th Jul 2003, 23:54
Mk1,
It was, I'm sure, just a slip of the pen (keys) on your part in your original message but I can't help pointing out that you should have written
1SGD = 0.57USD and 1SGD = 0.36GBP
Or maybe SIA wages really did look attractive to you?;)
Rockhound

mk1eyeball
19th Jul 2003, 00:22
hi folks
thanks for all your replys.
i was on holiday and alas unable to access email!!!!!!quite a nice change to be isolated from the modern comms age.
having looked at the sia situation it is obviously a very poor deal.i was aware of all the so called `politics` and other bull**** but when ones son in law is a dealer in sing and hence ones grandchildren now reside there one has to yield to the wifes desire to have a couple of years with them!!!!!however i have been convinced that this is not the solution.shame really.
for a company forcast to make 300million and to enforce a 23percent cut on capt is a disgrace both to the company and alpa-s.
pathetic is the only analagy i can come up with for alpa-s as well as unbelievable!!!
to hold onto what you want and hold dear then as history shows pain and misery is yours unless you demonstrate backbone.alas this is obviously lacking.dont give the pathetic excuse of singapores political situation.stand your ground for a change and experience the pain that all true democracies have endured to achieve their rights from opression.opression is what alpa-s have submitted to once again.

millerscourt
19th Jul 2003, 20:41
Mk1 Eyeball What you say about SIA is correct.

Sorry to harp on about this but you originally said 'I am tentatively considering a short term with SIA in the near future' then you went on to ask about tax in Singapore.

At no time have you shown any awareness of the situation within SIA as regards Pilot positions in the future, namely there are NONE!!!

I still wonder how you are not aware of this as it has been widely discussed ad infinitum????

southernmtn
20th Jul 2003, 19:26
Millerscourt, I think you may not be quite correct to assume that there are no flying jobs in SIA. The Company now considers their local pilots too expensive, as there are some local pilots at or around the top of the salary scale, compared to new foreigners who have joined not long ago and who are at the lower end of the salary scale. The Company is about to carry out a retrenchment exercise, and would probably boot out their loyal citizens earning top salaries; so if a foreigner like you would like to come in at the bottom of the scale, you might very well stand a good chance.

SIA would welcome foreigners with open arms. This would probably be the only company and country in the world that prefers foreigners over their citizens.

millerscourt
20th Jul 2003, 20:18
southernmtn Whilst there are of course many locals on the top scale they do not enjoy rental allowances ,expat allowance or education allowances. I am sure SIA would dearly love to be rid of some or even all of their local oldtimers but even I do not think they would do as you suggest and replace them with cheaper foreigners.

It will be interesting to see if SIA start not renewing expat contracts especially those on many increments and with expensive education allowances. Perhaps the days of an ex-pat be able to consider SIA as a full career move are well and truly over!!!

21st Jul 2003, 02:11
It is a miracle that such low pay can still yield 'acceptable'
level of safety in SQ.

Is it a matter of time before another incident / accident
reminds the Co that low pay = low safety.??

I salute the Capts + Fo's in SQ for remaning so professional in such

"tough" times.

:ok: