PDA

View Full Version : The burning question: To rip or not to rip

touch&go
8th Jul 2003, 17:08
Came across this on the BBC technical site, its an intersting read, so I thought I would share it with you lot

What's the difference between ripping software and shoplifting? None. Yet millions of us twist the arguments and kid ourselves we are not hardened criminals.
Call me prejudiced, but from what I know, I'd say you could well be a criminal.

If you're computer-literate enough to be reading this, there's a strong chance you will know how to copy expensive design software from your friends, or download alien-shooting games from the net without paying. And if you know how to, then the chances are you've done it.

Am I wrong? Don't worry, I won't tell.

The likes of you and me wouldn't normally like to think of ourselves as thieves. We don't pocket CDs in HMV or triple chocolate muffins in Tescos. So why are we happy to steal electronically?

According to the industry, it's because we're a pack of immoral cyber bandits. Developers across the world lose $11bn a year in business software alone, says the Business Software Alliance. It estimates nine out of 10 programs sold on auction sites are pirated.

HOW MUCH TOP SOFTWARE COSTS

Adobe Photoshop 7 - £535
Microsoft Office XP - £295
Macromedia Dreamweaver - £325
Through peer-to-peer file-swapping - FREE
Copies to mates - 15p per CD

The booty on your hard drive cost Americans 111,000 jobs in 2001, $5.6bn in lost wages and $1.5bn in unpaid tax. If that doesn't make you feel a twinge of guilt, you're obviously a hardened crook and should consider becoming a career criminal or an oil executive.

Admittedly, the figures may be inflated. How do they know you would have bought the software if you hadn't half-inched it? And how do we know that if you'd paid for it they would have spent the money on creating new jobs, rather than on executive jacuzzis or a new laser corkscrew for Mrs Gates?

Deflate the figures if you like, deep down they still remind us of what we always knew: our virtual shoplifting may feel safe, respectable and innocuous, but that doesn't stop it harming anyone.

When you make it out of the doors of cyberspace with your Mac bulging, someone somewhere loses out.

Stubborn little icons

All of which is terribly obvious and brings us back to the question why do we feel so comfortable with our theft?

Are you stealing from the Gates family?
Because it's virtual? We haven't taken anything solid or physical, so we don't feel we've taken anything at all. I'm sure that's part of it, although the icon stubbornly remains on the desktop, reproaching us every time we use it.

Another reason is our uncertainty that we've stolen anything. How can we have, when no one has lost anything they used to have? A valid philosophical question to be sure, though the law doesn't see it that way.

But the most important reason is also the most depressing. We don't feel bad because there's no risk of our being caught and punished. If I pocketed a bottle of whisky in the supermarket I'd be so anxious about the security guards grabbing me, plagued with visions of shame and humiliation, police cars and magistrates, that even if I got away with it I'd feel horribly guilty.

That doesn't happen with computer applications, even though they tend to cost much more than the kind of whisky I buy.

Ill-gotten games

This isn't a flattering thought. It suggests the main reason I tend to behave decently and honestly (in my own way) is not that I am decent and honest, but that I know bad things will happen if I don't.

BURN BABY BURN
26% of business software in UK is illegal
That's down from 42% eight years ago
Last week Briton Bilal Khan was jailed for a year for selling pirated software over Ebay
Source:BSA

How cyber piracy affects you

There's one more reason why we're not more troubled by our ill-gotten games, I think. It's that we don't really mind ripping off huge fat-cat corporations, which would probably do the same to us given half the chance.

The ethics of intellectual property are not only about individuals. If companies charge extortionate prices because they can, perhaps they ought to get their own house in order before suing customers. And if they package their software in sweatshops, who's ripping off whom?

Consider the cautionary tale of music CDs. Everyone, bar the music industry, agrees they've been sold at vastly inflated prices since the 80s. Along come CD writers and MP3s and the market collapses about their ears. Who's surprised?

If bootlegging acts as a safety valve to keep software prices sensible, might that not be such a bad thing after all?

So what are we to do? Perhaps "trial piracy" could offer a reasonable compromise between us and the marketers. The unconventional software billionaire Kai Krause suggests this rule of thumb: "If it's still on your hard drive after a year, pay for it.'

And if you can't manage that much, you can just relax in the knowledge that you are simply a Bad Person. At least you're not alone.

BEagle
8th Jul 2003, 18:32
Counterfeit software is theft. Pure and simple.

It's cyber-thieves passing on '15p' copies to their 'mates' (receivers of stolen goods) who keep the price of software to honest individuals high.

Isn't there a reward scheme running for turning in illicit pirated software users?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
9th Jul 2003, 05:42
touch&go,

I think the letter to the Home Brew Club of the 1970's by William Henry Gates III summed it up:

AN OPEN LETTER TO HOBBYISTS

February 3, 1976
By William Henry Gates III

An Open Letter to Hobbyists
To me, the most critical thing in the hobby market right now is the lack of good software courses, books and software itself. Without good software and an owner who understands programming, a hobby computer is wasted. Will quality software be written for the hobby market?

Almost a year ago, Paul Allen and myself, expecting the hobby market to expand, hired Monte Davidoff and developed Altair BASIC. Though the initial work took only two months, the three of us have spent most of the last year documenting, improving and adding features to BASIC. Now we have 4K, 8K, EXTENDED, ROM and DISK BASIC. The value of the computer time we have used exceeds $40,000.

The feedback we have gotten from the hundreds of people who say they are using BASIC has all been positive. Two surprising things are apparent, however, 1) Most of these "users" never bought BASIC (less thank 10% of all Altair owners have bought BASIC), and 2) The amount of royalties we have received from sales to hobbyists makes the time spent on Altair BASIC worth less than $2 an hour.

Why is this? As the majority of hobbyists must be aware, most of you steal your software. Hardware must be paid for, but software is something to share. Who cares if the people who worked on it get paid?

Is this fair? One thing you don't do by stealing software is get back at MITS for some problem you may have had. MITS doesn't make money selling software. The royalty paid to us, the manual, the tape and the overhead make it a break-even operation. One thing you do do is prevent good software from being written. Who can afford to do professional work for nothing? What hobbyist can put 3-man years into programming, finding all bugs, documenting his product and distribute for free? The fact is, no one besides us has invested a lot of money in hobby software. We have written 6800 BASIC, and are writing 8080 APL and 6800 APL, but there is very little incentive to make this software available to hobbyists. Most directly, the thing you do is theft.

What about the guys who re-sell Altair BASIC, aren't they making money on hobby software? Yes, but those who have been reported to us may lose in the end. They are the ones who give hobbyists a bad name, and should be kicked out of any club meeting they show up at.

I would appreciate letters from any one who wants to pay up, or has a suggestion or comment. Just write to me at 1180 Alvarado SE, #114, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 87108. Nothing would please me more than being able to hire ten programmers and deluge the hobby market with good software.

Bill Gates

General Partner, Micro-Soft

Take Care,

Richard

Binoculars
10th Jul 2003, 09:14
I'm crying tears of blood for Mr Gates.

Doesn't appear to be any shortage of software coming on to the market, most of it unnecessary expensive upgrades to software that does ten times more than most of us need anyway.

Just put me down as a Bad Person. I can live with it. :rolleyes:

touch&go
10th Jul 2003, 16:53
Under the Copyright Designs and Patents Act 1988 section 107 it is only an offence to make a copy for sale or hire. Otherwise it is unlawful but not criminal. There are plenty of unlawful acts which we commit without any guilt (eg. walking across a field you don't own, unlawful (trespass) but not a criminal offence).

But this info could be wrong.

KYGMSY
10th Jul 2003, 18:27
Having said that, some manufacturers recommend you make a backup copy.

How's the shoulder ??

touch&go
10th Jul 2003, 20:08
Getting better........you lot missing me?

mainfrog2
11th Jul 2003, 06:28
Why not try using open source software there is no copyright. A gentleman called Richard Stallman pioneered open source and referred to it as copyleft.
A great deal of software which relates to computers and especially the internet was developed in universities and government institutions over the years and was dispatched out to the wider world for free use, very few of these people did not get nore did they ask for any money.

Naples Air Center, Inc.

Your open letter from Bill Gates was interesting as his implication is that if you pay for it you will get good software which is not necessarily the case. I paid for some pretty rubbish software and used some pretty excellent free software.

Though I have to agree that reselling copies should get you run out of town.

Richard Stallman (http://www.stallman.org/)