PDA

View Full Version : FMS and "engine out"

mystic_av8r
8th Jul 2003, 05:21
Can the FMS cope with an "engine out" scenario? i.e cruise height, speed etc? or is it a matter of getting the book out and reprogramming?

Intruder
8th Jul 2003, 06:42
In the 744 we just push the "ENG OUT" button on the VNAV Cruise page, and the FMS recalculates best altitude, speed (Long Range Cruise), etc. All the time and fuel figures are dynamically recalculated.

411A
8th Jul 2003, 07:14
Good gosh, long before the 744 was a gleem in Boeings' eye, the L1011 FMS had all the information...with the press of three buttons, and completed automatically.

PFM.:ok:

Intruder
8th Jul 2003, 11:13
So, Boeing got it down to 2 buttons: ENG OUT; EXEC.
:D

Pilot Pete
8th Jul 2003, 20:10
not if you are in the LEGS page!;)

PP

Intruder
8th Jul 2003, 23:09
One CDU is on the VNAV page for quite a bit of the flight -- normally from starting the flaps up after T/O, through level-off; and periodically after that.

MaximumPete
8th Jul 2003, 23:22
During the cruise in the FKR100/70:- NOTHING

It does it all for you.

After V1 safe height you must confirm engine out on the FMS before the engine out SID diverges from the 2 engine SID and it follows E/O SID in NAV, assuming one is programed into the FMS and is required for the departure.
PROF or if you prefer VNAV just happens.

MP
;)

Hand Solo
9th Jul 2003, 01:14
It's even easier in the A320, you don't even have to confirm the engine is out. There's just a button to press if the aircraft has misdiagnosed the engine out condition to return to normal ops.

411A
9th Jul 2003, 07:24
...or, so it seems.

As long as everyone remembers that Lockheed done it first. :E :ok:

However, never found out personally. In over twenty years on the trimotor, never had an engine quit...RR is OK in my book.;)

HotDog
9th Jul 2003, 08:43
You are lucky 411A. I shut down about four 22Bs in 5000 hours on the L1011!

GLF5driver
2nd Aug 2003, 12:52
The Honeywell FMS's as installed on the Gulfstream IV and V series aircraft will automatically switch to SE mode when presented with a set LP Fan difference. This is true for either Takeoff, Climb or Cruise (SE driftdown). SE Cruise info is available at anytime in cruise from one of the PERF pages.

used2flyboeing
31st Aug 2003, 14:06
Mr L1011 Nostalgia - Boeing also provides 5 alternative airports - ETA, Fuel etc. based on prevailing winds - lets see your old tub do that ..Im glad you guys finally got those RB211s to stay together, 4 hydraulic systems seems a bit paranoid doesnt it ?- kinda heavy & complex.. - too bad you let a crappy aircraft like the DC10 scoop you ..& the 747 dominate you .. The L1011 was a very sophisticated bird - almost a like it was design to fly to a different planet - opps - those engineers DID go on to design the shuttle didnt they after the L1011 was scrapped ..

av8boy
31st Aug 2003, 15:33
Such vitriol? …Toward a LOCKHEED PRODUCT?? :eek: :ugh:

That’s just wrong man. I spent my formative years in one of Lockheed’s airframes and to this day an encounter with a Lockheed aircraft is like a visit with a favorite aunt. Scooped by a diesel 10? Fine. Dominated by a 74? Fair enough. So what? If I explain that I own a 1967 Jag S1 4.2 Roadster you’d assume that it has to do with my affection for a particular breed of auto, and that its inability to off-road like a Range Rover or manage the skidpad like a Carrera 4 (bit of a shock to note that the Jag handles the skidpad about as well as a new Land Rover Discovery Series II, roughly .25 g worse than the Porsche…) means NOTHING to me (not to mention strictly mechanical issues). So, we like the Lockheed. We’re old. It treated us well. Noth’n wrong with that.

The man said the L10 had some slick features a long time ago, not that God himself engineered the damned things. Don’t make me have a talk with your mother.

I’m sure your Boeing airplanes are very nice son. :ooh:

Dave

LEM
31st Aug 2003, 21:24
It's in the nature of pilots to identify themselves with the airplane they have been given to fly, but don't you think it's a bit childish?

411A
1st Sep 2003, 00:55
Well dunno if the idea of four hydraulic systems on a three engine aircraft is 'paranoid' but suspect the floks in the DC10 that crashed at Souix City a few years ago wished they had four...with proper line fusing as well.

And...the AA folks at Chicago years before