PDA

View Full Version : Algeria

Cave Troll
8th Jul 2003, 00:02
Anyone know whats going on there with regard to all the south african aircaft flying there. Why, where and for who?

Balloothebear
8th Jul 2003, 05:31
Cave Troll:- Rossair legally flies several B1900 and DHC-6 from Hassi-Messoud for Air Express.
NAC flies several B1900,also for AIR Express,not sure if their AOC or AMO is legal though.
The "Boeties from Bethlehem" have a LET 410 there..........also not sure of the staus of their AOC or AMO.
There are also several "one man bands" taking a slice of the Algerian pie,flying B200 and rumored to soon be flying a Banderante.AOC/AMO ?????????????
There is also the Swiss crowd fling B200,Pilatus Porters and DHC-6's.
All in all a happy crowd,a fair place,(Multicatering not T32)with limited resources.............................a hole in the wall that serves beverages at any time of the night (hey for that matter, day time to!!!!!!!!!)
A good place to get plenty of hours.....Check out other threads on the African Forum

Enjoy...............the bear nessesities,the simple bear nessesities,yea...................:ok:

Jakes
8th Jul 2003, 22:02
listen boet....if you say we are one big happy family then why are you tech's not good enough to come eat drink and be merry with us drivers on the MC side huh? ya swaar i think there is a little conspiracy theory session in progress every night at T32!!!

now listen. I heard that NAC's AOC is very legal. actually i saw it with my own sweet blue eyes. AMO well... line maintenance is fine but inspections must be carried out at any legal facility, ie Malta. not on the ramp in 10 knots as mentioned in another thread.

as for the rest of the operators i have no clue whats up in this zoo....balloo!

anyone seen those two 1900's parked outside NAC at lanseria with Air Express Logo's on. whats that about?

maybe catch u for a dop later oom.
Jakes:ok: :}

Boss Raptor
9th Jul 2003, 04:11
On a practical note;

I have been going to Algiers regularly for the last year. Although I have personally never felt at risk I have found the whole 'guerilla' war aspect rather concerning...I am not allowed to leave the hotel at night or travel outside the city for fear of kidnap which seems very real. On a day trip out to Blida in a small armed convey we were very seriously shot at with heavy calibre weapons.

Cannot speak for you guys in the oil/gas compounds in Hassi but elsewhere great care is needed. Only other place I have been like this was Georgia with similar threats and risks against expats...and I have done Africa, Russia and Central Asia!

Just saying what I see...

maxrated
11th Jul 2003, 15:01
Boss Raptor,
The expat saftey issue is in my opinion an exaggeration which has been kept alive by the hotel chains in Algiers in order to scare expats into staying in the hotels for all their meals where they can charge them euro/dollar related prices for food which costs a fraction of those prices just down the road.

Myself and collegues often leave the hotel's premises amidst howls of protestation from the conciege, after which we usually enjoy a stroll through the city and a really good meal in one of the local eateries. (Algerian seafood is awesome and I once was served a lobster that was larger than a domestic cat,- cost 4 dollars).

Contrary to the right wing christian media propaganda that spews out anti arab sentiment on our telivisions all the time , I've found most Arabs and certainly Algerians to be very polite, helpfull and friendly people who go out of their way to help you and certainly more so than Euopeans

The fact that you guys were shot at enroute to Blida certainly shows that Algeria is not quite your "fun for the whole family" holiday destination but then that why we earn more than average incomes for the flying that we do in this place.

:hmm:

max6462
11th Jul 2003, 22:44
Do you guys know if someone is hiring there ?
FAA atpl 3500hrs+ B190 type.
Any info welcome...
Thx!:)

Sheep Guts
11th Jul 2003, 23:01
Yeah me too B90 1400 hrs DHC-6 600 all PIC P1 and 4350tt
2750 Multi Comm, 2000 turbine Comm.

Any leads appreciated. PM me please?

Regards
Sheep

P.S..1 month to go here :(:{ :{ :{ :{ :{

maxrated
13th Jul 2003, 17:11
The Nac/Rossair-Air Express pilot pools seems quite saturated at the moment but it may be worth a try sending a resume to Zimex, a Swiss company that also has a huge fleet in Algeria, ( Twotters and Pilatus porters and one Beech 200).

They usually have quite high experience requirements for their crews, moreso for the beech crew ( two luner landings , carrier deck take offs plus be a damn nice chap etc etc) but they pay really well apparently, Ive heard between 4000 and 6000 US $ per month, on and off contract.

On the down side you will be working for the Swiss and have to wear one of the most regressive pilot uniforms I have ever seen. ( Think former DDR secret service police uniform and you'll be close).

They do however have probably the best maintained Twotter fleet in the world, and maintenance organisation in Algeria at the moment.

Could be worth a try ?

:hmm:

Cave Troll
15th Jul 2003, 02:40
Hey maxrated get off the swiss. It is not thier fault they are like that.

See you when I get back to the sand buddy.

ct

wheels up
18th Jul 2003, 16:25