View Full Version : Tag Aviation @ EGLF

Sherry Bobbins
7th Jul 2003, 23:41
Hi,

I've just seen the advert in last weeks Flight for Ops Officers for Tag at Farnborough, and was wondering if anyone knew what / how many aircraft they had there? I thought all their European ops was done for LSGG?

Cheers,

SB

bluesafrica
8th Jul 2003, 01:38
Sherry,
TAG is very busy at Farnborough . With their own but mainly because all visiting aircrafts as well. Must be several hundred operations per day by now and getting busier because new facilities are now ready. TAG is the only handler there as well as owner of the airport.
Blues:ok:

AlanM
8th Jul 2003, 06:41
Nice place to work at.

TAG have just invested millions in buying/developing the old Government airfield.

They are about to start work on the new terminal as well. The hangars are "officially" being christened with a party this Thursday.

I don't hink that they have any aorcraft based there at all - but theis is gonna get busier and busier and I think a good bet.

Many regular bizjet ops from Farnborough.

Bob Down
9th Jul 2003, 20:11
Regarding the TAG jobs.

Just operated out of EGLF on an ACJ yesterday, and they certainly seem to have got their S**t together! Lots of movements and still ample stand space!! I believe there is a movement restriction of 28,000 per year presently, and they are close to that!

Presently operating out of a portacabin, it is still very well done and the people helpful and pleasant. TAG have spent upwards of 70M on the place and it is beginning to show. Can't wait for the terminal to be completed, early next year I think.

I know a couple of the OP's team there from previous companies, and they seem to be very happy with their lot, so for anyone interested, definetly worth a punt.

One thing though, TAG if you're listening...... reduce your fuel prices, they are ludicrous!!! Rant over :ok:

BD

AlanM
10th Jul 2003, 04:00
Not the first to mention fuel prices!

Spose they wanna recoup their £70m.

Wycombe
10th Jul 2003, 05:26
From what I heard on a recent visit, it's averaging about 80-90 movements a day. Within the limit already mentioned, I believe there is also a further limit on movements of the largest types allowed (BBJ, 319) - not sure what it is though.

The current Op hrs restrictions (0700-2200L M-F and 0800-2000L Sat & Sun) will put them at a disadvantage, when compared with the main competition (LTN,STN) which can offer H24.

AlanM,

Please thank the better half (as I have the chance to do it again!) for her kind recent hospitality.

Cheers

learjet35
12th Jul 2003, 01:00
They have on their AOC in England a Challenger + a Falcon ... And I think there is more to come ! (GlobalX ?)

Mark Lewis
13th Jul 2003, 00:08
80-90 movements a day? I think thats a bit OTT! I live under the approach to 06 there, and there is a lot of interesting stuff coming out. As far as I am aware there is no restriction on size. We get loads of BBJ's and a few A319CJ's, but we've even had an An124 in before (Outside of airshow week!)
Generally there are a fair few movements in the early morning and the evening, but during the day (10 - 4) it's a bit dead.

Daifly
13th Jul 2003, 02:03
I'd work on 80-90 being a good day. Average must be more like 40 movements (20 offs, 20 ons).

I'm still not sure whether this job is in Flight Ops or Handling - that would make some difference to what work they'd be doing.

There is a restriction on size. The BBJ/ACJ are the largest aircraft that can operate there and there is a capping of this size of aircraft in the total movements for the year. Can't remember the exact details as the local council have now removed the website with it all on (for the locals...). I think it's something like 20% of the total movements could be ACJ/BBJ.

On the subject of Luton and Stansted being busier, well yes, but they have had a fifty year head start over FAB! Until about 10 years ago, before Carrolls arrived, there were hardly any civil movements. What seems to be overlooked frequently is what will happen once slots at Luton and Stansted become essential. They are now both very busy airports (Stansted will forever be tarred with the one aircraft a day brush, but we know it's not really true!) as a result of the increase of Low Cost airlines and it won't be too long before ACL start issuing slots for GA (in the same vein as Heathrow, not the current wishy-washy system). When that happens places like Biggin, Farnborough, Northolt (if Netjets don't completely take it over...) and, possibly, Southend will become more important in the Corporate Jet arena.

Cor, that was worthy of a University Thesis...

Wycombe
14th Jul 2003, 20:08
Mark,

Well, those were the mvmt no's that were mentioned to me by the Air Trafficers - I guess they should know (when I was there, on a Sunday, it was quiet though).

Yes, 124's and also C5's have been to visit in the past (the C5's in connection with a Bill Clinton visit to London a few years back), so don't now whether this was before the current rules came into being - presumably FAB was still MoD operated at the time.

As you say, movements during airshow time are not counted towards the annual totals and there is no limit on a/c size either.

Daifly
15th Jul 2003, 04:44
Hi Wycombe,

There are restrictions on size, vis:

"The current lease with the MoD allows for:

Up to 25,000 aircraft movements per annum (a movement is either a take off or a landing).
A maximum weight limit of 35 tonnes for fixed wing aircraft and 10 tonnes for helicopters
A maximum of 40 aircraft based at the site
The lease does not allow scheduled passenger services or freight, training, or pleasure flights. It also restricts flying to 0700-2200 Monday to Friday and 0800-2000 at weekends and bank holidays with no flying on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. These controls do not apply to military flights or MoD authorised flying (ie DERA Flying Club).

DO TAG PROPOSE ANY RESTRICTIONS?
Generally the application looks to keep within the current restrictions but with some important changes:

An initial limit of up to 25,000 aircraft movements but making no more noise than the levels generated by 20,000 movements in 1997 (this is because the aircraft would be quieter).
Restrictions on the noisier types of aircraft.
Flying hours limited to 0700-2200 Mondays to Fridays and 0800-2000 at weekends and bank holidays. No flying on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, the same hours as at present.
12.5% of the aircraft be more than 50 tonnes in weight and up to 80 tonnes. (This would permit aircraft such as the Airbus A319 and the Boeing 727 BizJet)."

This is off the local against the airport website but the data came from Rushmoor BC.

Buzzz
17th Jul 2003, 17:33
Unfortunatly 727 Bizjets arent allowed in at all! We've been trying for years to get ours in (Stage 3 and all!!)

Buzzz

SonicTPA
17th Jul 2003, 18:47
The total movements for the year are limited to 28000. There is also a limit of 2500 on BBj/A319 movements, and a limit of 2500 total weekend movements.

As regards the size of aircraft, it is probably limited to our Crash Cat. Normally it's cat 5, but it can be increased slightly with enough notice. But there are limits on the airfield licence. This could be why Buzzz couldn't bring his 727. No chapter 2 aircraft are allowed, or ATP's or HS748's!

Someone has bought 3 US Airways Fokker 100's, and they are being refurbished, and will operate out of here.

It would be nice to see some larger aircraft here. A 747Sp would fit!

SonicTPA

Buzzz
18th Jul 2003, 07:49
All our 727's are Stage 3 / Chapter III compliant, yet are still not allowed into EGLF. We promise to be quiet but they still say no! :)

As a result we normally operate into EGGW or EGLL, although parking charges are horrendous..... talking about which - if anyone needs cheap parking in the UK check out Manston - very very good rates and a very good service - if not there then Southend.

Rgrds,

Buzzz