PDA

View Full Version : National Geographic Channel: Test Pilot

Torres
7th Jul 2003, 20:11
Great documentary on Austar satellite channel 11 National Geographic Channel TV at 9.00 pm this evening. The doco was called “Cheating Death: Test Pilot”.

What I can’t understand is why an organisation of significant repute like National Geographic would spend lashings of brass to produce a very interesting documentary, with brilliant film sequences, then intersperse with ludicrous, sensationalist and outrageous statements.

For example, during the Bombardier Lear 45 test flight sequence the statement was made that the Lear 45 was tested “to 51,000 feet, twice the height of a commercial jet and at Mach .75, the speed of a fighter jet………..”

Oh dear. Why can’t they spend a little more and get just a little professional advice?

If one turned the volume down to zilch, it was a good show!

The Hedge
7th Jul 2003, 20:14
Was it that same annoying voice of such documentaries as:

"Police chases caught on tape" and "Plastic Surgery gone wrong"???

Torres
7th Jul 2003, 20:20
Yeah, I think so. Same sensationalist Yank drawl......... :yuk:

The Hedge
7th Jul 2003, 20:33
While on the documentary topic:

Has anyone ever seen a BBC series "Reach for the Sky"?. Its going back a few years, maybe ten or so.

I recall that it was an excellent series. The episodes I remember were about the Voyager circumnavigation, a BA long haul flight and crew layover, the Cranfield Test Pilot School and the Oshkosh show.

Would love to see it again.

Torres
7th Jul 2003, 20:45
Was that series produced for the BBC by Julian Petifer and included one in the series on Talair in PNG?

Maybe not. I have a feeling that was "Diamonds in the Sky". I have the book somewhere.

The Bullwinkle
7th Jul 2003, 20:49
I saw the series Reach For The Sky many years ago, and would love to know if it is available on DVD. I taped the final episode in the series, but somewhere along my travels it has dissappeared.

I would appreciate it if anybody knows where to get the DVD's from. Also, the book from the series was very good.

The Hedge
7th Jul 2003, 20:56
Ah Wonderful. Someone has it, albeit a bit.

Doubt if you'd find it on DVD. It was sold as a VHS series I believe. I too only managed to tape the last episode (was that the Oshkosh one??), but is long lost.

I'll have a scoot around on the BBC site and UK pilot shops. Funny feeling that a ten or so year old doc will be tricky to get hold of though.

Cheers

Windshear
7th Jul 2003, 21:04
Torres ...... Diamonds in the Sky .... would you like me to autograph your copy :D .... no charge ;) Windy ... a young Windy at 27, will be 53 in 15days : :ok:

The Bullwinkle
7th Jul 2003, 21:24
HEDGE

Yes, it was the episode with oshkosh, and Bob Hoover inverted pouring tea and doing engine-out aerobatics, and Lynne Ripplemeyer 747 Captain of Continental, and the beautiful photography of the Lake Bucaneer amphibious aircraft. I loved the series, and I miss that tape.

V1OOPS
8th Jul 2003, 06:00
Judging by 3 long forgotten VHS tapes in the drawer, I appear to have taped the series.

Capt Claret
8th Jul 2003, 06:45
Not that I'm gloating but I have all 9 hours of Reach for the Sky on VHS, courtesy of little bro! :=

Torres
8th Jul 2003, 06:55
"Torres ...... Diamonds in the Sky .... would you like me to autograph your copy .... no charge Windy ... a young Windy at 27, will be 53 in 15days :"

Windy: God, was it that long age? 26 years ago? Sheer luck you lasted the intervening 26 years....... :=

Only 53 - I would have put you at least a decade older than me (at 59)! :}

You haven't worn very well, have you! :E

TheNightOwl
8th Jul 2003, 08:05
Capt Claret - I don't suppose you'd consider setting up a production line? Could be a nice little earner, if you ignore the copyright implications!!!

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. :ok:

Capt Claret
8th Jul 2003, 11:20
Copywrite? What's that? :confused:

Let me check the quality of my tapes, if OK, you can be first cab off the rank! :ok: